Little Miss Bobbins
Participant
@little-miss-bobbins

I think this is all a bit mental now to be honest.
I used to work for a company called Siemens. The company in general didnt mind tattoos but would like them to be covered up when possible and when meeting customers adn clients etc which I think is fair as its a professional business. What I did object to is the way my boss treated me. Now i have 3 visible tattoos 2 on my feet and 1 on my wrist , that said i can cover them up easily if I wear the right shoes and a cardigan. I was made to do this everyday as my boss would call me all sorts of horrible names and treat me as if i was a lower class to him, he to be fair was quite old and very stuck int he dark ages so much so that he would always do things like walk on the outside of me as I am a girl and thats how it should be. I do however think its disgusting that 1 person can make me quit a job because of the abuse that he gave me. My new job is amazing when it comes to tattoos. They dont care about them and my managing director actually likes the visible ones especially the one on my feet as they are girly.

I just dont get the discrimination anymore, they are so accepted in so many places socially now why cant they be accepted in the business place, its not like they are used how they used to be in the good old days when only certain people had them like criminal and merchant sailors.

reefdiver
Participant
@reefdiver

what do you expect from a company named siemens…….:rolleyes:

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
vaglocker;64327 wrote:
I don’t have a problem with an employer who does not allow visible tattoos. In fact I believe that any non-gonvernment owned business should be able to discriminate with respect to hiring on any basis. I may choose not to work for them or patronize them, but it is still their right.

That being said it still sucks. Anyway, if you CHOOSE to get tattoos that are not easily covered hands/neck then you made your bed so you gotta lie in it. Time to pony up for some laser sessions or get a job where they don’t care.

I agree. However, I think it’s pretty wild that so many retail stores are opposed to it. Half the cashiers I encounter don’t know much change to give without the register telling them, and yet tattoos are taboo. Wal-Mart, for example, has some of the rudest and least skilled employees out of any large-scale national retailer, and yet tattoos are an issue for anyone above the level of cashier/stock. They have no official policy against ink, but the odds of someone getting promoted to a management position with any considerable amount of visible ink are very low.

BertNaked
Participant
@bertnaked

In Norway.

One night my GF got silly drunk and managed somehow to hit her head pretty hard on the curbe, so I took her to the hospital. There we met a young intern (medical) that was around the age of 25. He had alot of tattoos all over his body. I mean, no sleaves or something, but new’school tattoos place ranomly around where I could see. Neck, wrist, elbow.. etc. (he had his shirt rolled up).

Anywhoo, he’s working at the public hospital. Can’t see that the tattoos stopped his career from blooming.

Sinnaere
Participant
@sinnaere

I used to work for Bank of America and they have a no tattoo policy so I always had to wear long sleeves to cover up the ankh on my forearm. Now I work at a hospital and they say nothing about my tattoo. I’m going to be getting a job somewhere else soon, so I’ll wear a long sleeved shirt to my interviews until I get a job and find out their policies. Then I’ll go from there. But I won’t let the fact that I decided to get a tattoo on my forearm keep me from a job.

Evilrhoda
Participant
@evilrhoda

We are not supposed to have visible tattoos where I work. Mine is on my stomach so it’s not a problem. One of my coworkers has one on her wrist so she wears a bunch of Silly Bands over it.

sleevetd
Participant
@sleevetd

I find here in LA everyone pretty much has tattoos, so not much discrimination. Or it maybe just in my field, I work in marketing.

Hall
Participant
@hall

I am actually thankful where I work Tatoo’s aren’t really an issue. Although my ink barely shows when I wear short sleeves, my boss has told me whether full or half sleeve. He doesn’t care either way, now the client’s thats another thing (I work in Legal field hehe).

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

well he probably doesn’t care because they dont show alot when you wear short sleeves. Kind of answered that for yourself.

msmercury
Participant
@msmercury

I have no idea how my bosses would react if I walked in work wearing a skirt and they saw my tattoo. I’ve never told them I have it and I don’t know how I’m going to deal with the new ones I’m getting. I think I’ll just get them and if they show, they show. I’ll just have to see what happens. I think it is totally ridiculous to have to worry about it anyway. People should not have to cover up their tattoos. I think things are getting better out there, though. I’m not going to go to them (my bosses) and tell them I have one and will be getting a few more and some of them will be visible. It’s my body and my decision. They can accept it or get rid of me.

imperial1904
Participant
@imperial1904

One of the companies I work for has a no visible tattoo policy and I have to wear a long sleeve shirt. I don’t even follow their policy, especially in the summer time. None of my stores seem to care that I have tattoos. I even talk to some of the managers about tattoos. I walked into my last store of the day wrapped up after getting a touch up and was talking to the manager of why I had bandages around my arm.. She was even nice enough to wrap extra tape on it for me cause it kept slipping down on my arm. 🙂

caisaco
Participant
@caisaco

I think in the near future it will be prejudice and illegal to discriminate other’s for having tattoos, it will be just like others judging on the color of someone’s skin. Judging a person on tattoos is prejudice in my book

Wardy
Participant
@wardy
caisaco;92093 wrote:
I think in the near future it will be prejudice and illegal to discriminate other’s for having tattoos, it will be just like others judging on the color of someone’s skin. Judging a person on tattoos is prejudice in my book

exactly right dude

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

2008-2010 I was working for a 4 billion dollar a year company with 15,000 employees. I had interviewed in a nice suit so my 220 hours of ink were not visable. I soon leanred by working on some office remodeling with my boss on the weekend that he had a tattoo on his leg, a skull. My boss discovered I had two full sleeves, chest and back pieces covering my torso and legs tattooed from my nuts to the ground in differen tpieces………he couldnt care less. Now he did advise me to hide my ink with long sleeves and slacks which I expected. However in the course of doing business some of my customers realized I had alot of ink and wanted to see it! I showed alot of them and they couldnt understand why I had to hide it, none of it is offensive material and it is all top quality work, most pieces having been in major magazines…….but still I was requested to hide the ink……some companies are just too conservative.
I went back to an old employer who could care less. I am a professional in the HVAC business, a licensed (or pending) contractor in 6 states, no one who knows me cares what I wear, they care about getting a job done right

ArniVidar
@arnividar
mrchen;92688 wrote:
no one who knows me cares what I wear, they care about getting a job done right

Exactly. That is what SHOULD matter. Unfortunately, however, the Engineering business is still pretty conservative. I weep for the day when I’ll be forced to wear long sleeves to work every day. Right now I can get by with short sleeves, which is a blessing on hot days 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 270 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.