TattooedHunter
Participant
    @tattooedhunter

hey

nice place, amnd lots of good pix and info. im a 41yr old male, and have about 20 different tats. one thing ive noticed in all the years ive bee getting inked is every artist has their own set of instructions o aftercare. wile one may say ” this is the thing to do” the other guy says ” heck no!…dont do that!”. i myself am not an artist, but two of my best friends are award winning artists, so im around tattooing all the time, both on myself, others finsihed and during

question or two for those tattoo professionals out there though…

why do some professionals advise against neosporin, but yet advocate triple antibiotic?

both neosporin and triple antibiotic have THE SAME EXACT INGREDIENTS in them (Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Bacitracin Zinc Ointment ) only difference i can find on the labels is that neosporin also contains “Pramoxine”, which is a external analgesic to help with pain.

also, some artists say “NEVER use vaseline on a new tattoo because it pulls the color out ( they say the same about neosporin). both neosporin AND triple antibiotic are both PETROLEUM BASED, so it would be the same as putting vaseline on, but with an antibiotic additive in it.

some artists reccomend completely foregoing any sort of antibiotic ointment or creme and want you to g directly to a unscented hypoallergenic lotion ( which depending on the lotion you buy, feels like someone dumping hot salted alcohol doused with warm lemon juice added to it directly on your new tat….OUCH!)
…. i can see that if you got fineline work done with no shading,ect, but for heavily shaded and colored areas, it just doesnt work (for me) unless you like extreme pain!

i spoke to a dermatologist one time who was also a big tat lover, with about 75% of his body covered. he said that most of the aftercare instructions you hear or read are BS.

personally, when i get a new tattoo, this is the aftercare i go by, and i have never had a tat fade or get screwed up.

after the tats completed, either on the spot or as soon as i get home, i take whatever bandage that was put on off, and wash the tattoo completely with 30% green soap tincture and rinse completely. i let the tattoo completely air dry, wash my hands with green soap, and then i apply a very VERY light coating of A&D ointment to the tattoo. if it glosses after a few minutes, i fold a paper towel in 4s and BLOT the gloss off until the tattoo is dull, and the skin only feels SLIGHTLY “greasy”.

i rewash and reapply the A&D about every 2 hours. in the meantime, if anymore plasma appears, i also blot that off…..

that night before bed, i reclean, reapply the A&D and cover the tattoo LOOSELY with non-stick dressing sponges and tape them down.

the next morning, i remove the bandage ( never had one stick) and wash with green soap (little dot in the palm, water and lather good,never concentrated!) let it dry completely, apply A&D….

on the second day, i wash it about ever 4-6 hours or so. i do the same over the corse of day 3 also.

now on day 4, i wash good with the green soap, and then apply either st ives intensive healing lotion,or vaseline deep moisture (its 30% vaseline, and the rest is lotion….goes on non-greasy, and is proven to increase moisture in the skin 250%)…. if i apply the lotion, and the tattoo burns, i rewash it, and continue with the A&D for another day or two.

( you can buy 30% green soap tincture thru any pharmacy for ALOT less than buying it thru tattoo supply houses….i bought a gallon of 30% about a month ago from the local riteaid pharmacist for $17.00)

i found out early on that each artist is different in the way they do their work. personally, i have thin skin, so a light touch with the needle works outstanding on me. some artists have easy hands and find that perfect depth, and keep it there, and others just drill everyone the same. light hand = quick healing and promotes faster healing…heavy hand= longer aftercare, longer healing times (on me)

if the tattoo is on a leg where my levis might rub on it directly, i generally loosely bandage the new tat for at least 3-4 days when im wearing pants. i had a friend who had a new tat on his calf and followed the “no bandage after day 1 ” philosophy . his pants leg rubbed the scabs right off and left 2 distinct lines of nasty scarring right across his new tat. looks like chit now.

i have found that with my tattoo aftercare, my tats heal up and “onion skin”, sometme in just 4-6 days.

any opinions/comments?

1 user thanked author for this post.