Ben-
Participant
@ben
Indigo;64940 wrote:
I lost a job as a relief teacher at a private school because a parent complained about 2 tats on my left ankle. They are both pretty small and non offensive (rose and a character). Was a bitch because the money was good for not much work….oh well.

that is quite sick to be honest. Who are they to complain about a tattoo that isnt even on show? One of the best teachers in my school has 2 half sleeves on both forearms.

LordAugastus
Participant
@lordaugastus

so im a person who wants a tattoo, one that goes down my shoulder just past the elbow, also the one that goes just ontop of the shoulder bone and shoulder blade. now, i am also a styding engeneer and reading this post is questioning my desision. i hate t be the victim of uneploiment with an engeneering degree just because of a shoulder-arm tattoo. now most of ppl on this forum are not working in office bussness work, i wonder if there are those out there who work for big companies (you know shirt and tie attire) for office work and are not discrimintated for their tattoo that may or may not be showing?

ArniVidar
@arnividar

LordAugastus: I work at an engineering company, and before that I worked at an architectural/engineering company. It is my experience (although it may just be luck) that in general these people are mostly liberal (and strange!). By their very nature, engineers need do be rather down to earth and calm and methodical, and I expect this means that they can see beyond a patch of ink.

A friend and coworker of mine has LOADS of ink on him, but he wears long-sleeved shirts and appart from a tiny spike coming up out of the back of the neck of his shirt, the ink is invisible. Shirt and tie is the best clothing to hide tattoos… why would anyone ever see your ink?

LordAugastus
Participant
@lordaugastus

thank you for assuring me that there are people out there that bear tattoo’s and still have jobs where once the ink was out of the question. and as for the visible part, i tend to roll my sleevs up on all my shirts, they have almost permanent creases on the sleeves. and the tattoo i am planning to get will have few stripes running down around the arm ast the elbow. I am generaly thought the world was over the whole tattoes are only on criminals and “bad” people. i never saw tattoes as being a problem, accecive attoeing and body tattoes i find little bit unapealing, but i genuenly thought people stoped discriminating against those who beared tattooes. nd i still hope it wouldnt be a problem bearing them in my line of work that i will be apart of in the near future and i am glad that there are those in the field who bear tatts.

knarF
Participant
@knarf

Well, i work at an engineering company but in the offices (i’m an apprentice designer). One of my bosses (a director) has a tattoo of a carp on the top half of his left arm and when wearing some shirts you can see the bottom and when he’s wearing a white shirt it often shows through. He had this before becoming a director. So i think it really is just down to what specific people’s opinions of them are. You can be unlucky and find companies with strict policies against them or find one that you can climb the ranks to director with one that’s often visible.

Tatman_or
Participant
@tatman_or

This is an age old tradition in a lot companies. However, there are more and more doing away with that policy simply because it is out dated and tattoos are more and more popular. Tattoos are still taboo to a lot of people, especially for older people who still believe in the assumption “generally only criminals and bad people have tattoos”. That’s why in the customer service/care industry they typically still enforce those old rules. I have no doubt we will soon see this old rule fade out completely. The company I worked for used to have strict guidelines for hair styles, piercings, tattoos, and apparel. That all changed around 2005, so not too long ago.

Rockysmom
Participant
@rockysmom

Office jobs (from my experience) where you have to work/interact with the public are probably less accepting of tattoos. Where my BF and I work we don’t interact with public so tattoos are ok.

When I was younger and not sure where I was going with my career I stayed clear of any visible tattoos. I hate seeing young people with neck or hand tattoos. I think they are limiting themselves for the future.

I think once you more established in your career and know what the culture is like you can better gauge if highly visible tattoos are for you.

LordAugastus;71322 wrote:
so im a person who wants a tattoo, one that goes down my shoulder just past the elbow, also the one that goes just ontop of the shoulder bone and shoulder blade. now, i am also a styding engeneer and reading this post is questioning my desision. i hate t be the victim of uneploiment with an engeneering degree just because of a shoulder-arm tattoo. now most of ppl on this forum are not working in office bussness work, i wonder if there are those out there who work for big companies (you know shirt and tie attire) for office work and are not discrimintated for their tattoo that may or may not be showing?
LordAugastus
Participant
@lordaugastus
Rockysmom;71405 wrote:
Office jobs (from my experience) where you have to work/interact with the public are probably less accepting of tattoos. Where my BF and I work we don’t interact with public so tattoos are ok.

When I was younger and not sure where I was going with my career I stayed clear of any visible tattoos. I hate seeing young people with neck or hand tattoos. I think they are limiting themselves for the future.

I think once you more established in your career and know what the culture is like you can better gauge if highly visible tattoos are for you.

yes i have thought of the responcibility of getting a big tattoo especially one that covrs half the arm and i also never had a discriminative look on those who have ink on themselfs. but i never thought that in todays industry there is still those who frown upon it. as for the wait, it is in the process i am in no hurry there is allways time and there will allways be tattoo parlors so if i do change my mind then it can allways change it back that is why i will wait for another few years. As for the visability of the tattoos, i do not think it should be judged by what others whant, isnt the tattoo a self expression and once way of art not a peerpresure type thing? i understand what you trying to say but what others think should not effect what you want on yourself for the rest of your life.

Aussie_Al
Participant
@aussie_al

There is always going to be the stigma of being heavily tattooed in some jobs

Can you imagine going in for surgery and seeing a doctor with facial tattoos – even though I am very heavily tattooed – even I would be worried ! LOL :eek::eek:

Lt.wells
Participant
@lt-wells

Yea its very unfortunate that people view tattoos as unprofessional and everything els, Being law enforcement its hard to get in with showing tats, and I came across a man who completely changed my mind about tattoos a few years back. It was a simple traffic stop and I had him get out of the car since he was digging around his seat, i noticed his tattoos and asked what they ment to see if they where gang related. That man opend my eyes to a whole new world and form or art that i cant get ouuta my mind now. I thanked him and now we are good friends. It goes to show that the people who judge those with tats mostly know nothing of the culture.

Clea Walford
Participant
@clea-walford

I am a teacher. If my tattoo were not near my bits, I’d never be hired. It’s shameful that one should be discriminated against because she wants to adorn her body with tasteful graphics.

With Love,
Clea Walford

Poker_Addict
@

Just like the general society is slowly doing, eventually all of the jobs will have to start accepting that people want to get inked.

matronmedusa
Participant
@matronmedusa

Pretty soon the old farts that associate negativity to tattoos will all die off anyway. Their kids growing up with tramp stamps will redefine the future of “professionalism.” If we just bide our time, we can soon take over the world… Mwahahaha

Watty
Participant
@watty

I live in Australia and I have seen more and more people working small jobs with tatts I think it is becoming more common here and more accepted so no one I have found really has a problem with it

Aussie_Al
Participant
@aussie_al

thats great – when I left Australia it still had that only bikers and cons had tattoo sort of sentimentality

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 270 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.