SpideyFan
@
kcgreyhound;106730 wrote:
dis·crim·i·nate   /v. dɪˈskrɪməˌneɪt; adj. dɪˈskrɪmənɪt/ Show Spelled [v. dih-skrim-uh-neyt; adj. dih-skrim-uh-nit] Show IPA verb, -nat·ed, -nat·ing, adjective
verb (used without object)
1. to make a distinction in favor of or against a person or thing on the basis of the group, class, or category to which the person or thing belongs rather than according to actual merit; show partiality:

By the very definition of the word, an employer who makes a distinction based on class or category (i.e., tattooed) instead of merit is discriminating.

It’s the same thing as showing up to a job interview without any pants on. It’s not discrimination, it’s common sense. Learn the difference between the two then get back to me. Thanks.

kcgreyhound
Participant
@kcgreyhound
SpideyFan;106731 wrote:
It’s the same thing as showing up to a job interview without any pants on. It’s not discrimination, it’s common sense. Learn the difference between the two then get back to me. Thanks.

Damn, I’m glad you enlightened me, enlightened all of us, on that, Spidey. We may have never discovered that on our own. You truly are a dolt.

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

you’re right, you’re not a troll you’re a thread rapist… rapists get life and the other bad guys dont tend to like them much… just so you know seeing as you’re so into educating us all with your trite

kcgreyhound
Participant
@kcgreyhound

I posted earlier that I was a teacher who was afraid of getting a full sleeve. Our district does not have a policy in place, but I certainly don’t see anything that bold on our staff members. So, I decided to write to the superintendent to get his blessing, if you will, before being relegated to hiding under long-sleeve shirts for the rest of my career.

Yesterday, he responded, and the word is good. Our district doesn’t have a no-visible-tattoo policy in place by design. He said that the cabinet specifically left it that way because it’s not “their business” to get into teacher lives. He also said that as long as tattoos are appropriate, he had no problem with them. He further offered that he strongly preferred that tattoos remain in places that could be covered by traditional clothing at times that might be deemed appropriate in dealing with some members of the public.

Bottom line, with this blessing, I’m now beginning an earnest search for the right tattoo artist to assist me with my sleeve idea. I’m pretty damn stoked, and I’m grateful I work in a place where it’s a non-issue.

P.S. I should have known it’s a non issue, since I’ve worn 0g ear plugs and a labret for the past 14 years, but I thought “better safe than sorry.”

gennyohhh
Participant
@gennyohhh

I’ve had my share of discrimination, but there are also more companies that are accepting of tattoos. I have both forearms tattooed and I was happily employed at both Target and Chipotle, with co-workers that were more heavily tattooed than me. It’s nice to see that there are some places that really don’t care.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

I had some comments passed at work (as could see my ink through a white shirt) that ‘I was not giving the right impression that the workplace needed’.

To which I responded that getting drunk at the work party, burying your face in a colleagues breasts, in full view of everybody (whilst your wife and young baby are at home), is ok? – As long as no ink was visible??

Just gotta love the anti-ink establishment!

😀

Take care
Matthew

KatieScarlett
Participant
@katiescarlett
Ddenzik;64300 wrote:
So I recently applied for a job at American Eagle. For those of you who don’t know what that is, its a clothing store that is in most major malls. I had the interview and they said I did great but they couldn’t hire me because of my showing tattoos. I was just shocked that a place like that would discriminate against tattoos. So my response was ” thank you, I don’t want to work somewhere that discriminates against people with tattoos anyways.”

Has anyone else had problems like this before?

unfortunately i think that is a pretty common practice at most places, especially anything dealing with the general public. i am very lucky, i work for the government, and although i do deal with the general public, there i snothing in my personnel handbook stating that i cannot have visible tattoos… so in the summer i wear sleeveless and proudly show off my tattooed arms!

Talisman
Participant
@talisman
Ddenzik;64300 wrote:
So I recently applied for a job at American Eagle. For those of you who don’t know what that is, its a clothing store that is in most major malls. I had the interview and they said I did great but they couldn’t hire me because of my showing tattoos. I was just shocked that a place like that would discriminate against tattoos. So my response was ” thank you, I don’t want to work somewhere that discriminates against people with tattoos anyways.”

Has anyone else had problems like this before?

I removed my avatar to help answer your question. I wear my Moko with pride and work with international company owners. But working in retail I guess you’re at the mercy of puppet masters ordering you to comb your hair, stand up straight and kiss their arse. I hate em, feel sorry for anyone working in that field even though its your bread and butter. They would never hire me because Ive choosen never to work for them. Therefore I find alternatives and think outside the box.

Aussie_Al
Participant
@aussie_al

Check out this pub in Sydney Australia – not only are staff not allowed visible tattoos – the customers are not allowed either!!

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sydney-hoteliers-move-to-ban-patrons-with-visible-tattoos/story-e6freuy9-1226274718106

716363-tattoo-sign.jpg

Talisman
Participant
@talisman

Haha thanks Al that was a good read. More proof of tattoo snobs and haters. I was at Coogee hotel last year. No-one came near me. If they did, I’d educate them about my cultural background opposed to their stereotyped policy. I also dont drink. Good thread by the way.

bluey
Participant
@bluey

Double bay is an area if you are not a multi multi millionaire it’s off limits, however I can see some very nasty law suits coming their way. I wonder how they will get on if a Rock star, sports star or Movie star with tattoos decides to go there? I guess having a tattoo means you are a criminal, damn that means getting a tattoo must be a crime, I guess that makes it easy for the police.

Talisman
Participant
@talisman
bluey;107655 wrote:
Double bay is an area if you are not a multi multi millionaire it’s off limits, however I can see some very nasty law suits coming their way. I wonder how they will get on if a Rock star, sports star or Movie star with tattoos decides to go there? I guess having a tattoo means you are a criminal, damn that means getting a tattoo must be a crime, I guess that makes it easy for the police.

Good point, definately a human rights issue.

Kit Piper
Participant
@kit-piper

A sign at the Australian Hotel and Brewery in Rouse Hill reads: “NO Visable (sic) Tattoo’s (sic).”

I find it highly ironic that a place that can’t even spell “visible” nor “tattoos” is worried about keeping out the lower life forms.

winged_angel
Participant
@winged_angel

I work in a UK High Street retailers (Thorntons) and they are so discriminatory it’s ridiculous! The jewllery/tattoo part in our Terms and Conditions is ridiculous (one pair of plain gold ear studs, a plain gold wedding band and a plain gold crucifix at a push a plain watch)….needless to say I don’t adhere to this and I have managed to avoid getting yelled at but next week may be the ultimate test (new piercing + Area Manager visit = interesting conversation!)

Mistress_Of_Pain
Participant
@mistress_of_pain

I work at Walmart as a cashier. When I got hired I only had one tattoo in which was on my right calf. They specified no visible tattoos, or at least no visible offensive tattoos. Needless to say I now have 3 more tats, two of which are visible on my upper left arm. I’ve actually had management comment on my tattoos, saying how nice they are. We can also wear capris (the women anyway) during the nicer months and on nice days and I have a tattoo now on each of my legs and I’ve never been talked to about it. I have multiple coworkers with showing tattoos and they’ve never been talked to either. Any and all interviews I’ve been on though I’ve made sure my tats were covered even though it didn’t matter much since I never got the job anyway.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 270 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.