ChrisvK
Participant
@chrisvk

To me the pain was nothing compared to the itching during the healing process… God make it stop

Painandink
Participant
@painandink
tattoofan91;62404 wrote:
I got my first tattoo yesterday just my D.O.B on the top of my left arm and it only took about 15 minutes to do but during that time the pain wasn’t bad but for some reason I felt very hot and sweat was pouring down my face I want to get alot more tattoos shortly will this be easier next time or just the same? Is there any ways to avoid pain?

Thanks

Vince

Well I can say never smoke pot (you focus more on the pain)
Dont drink, or to any aspirin meds
Eat and drink well the day of.
When i can a tattoo in a painful area i just relax and try to not tense up.

BigAndy1988
Participant
@bigandy1988

The best way i deal with pain is to talk (Read more for explanation).

Sounds simple huh? Well for me it is heh. I use speech as a distraction, i haven’t had any work done on me yet, but in my life i have went through allot of painful things, Someone at a party thought it would be a great idea to BRAND ME .

Yes brand =S. They stuck a Zippo on my left wrist that was white hot. At first it hurt so bad i thought i was going to be sick!.

But after a couple off minutes off talking to friend’s the pain was more or less gone (most likely due to nerve damage). I hadn’t drank anything so that wasn’t a factor.

So basically my advice is keep your mind on something else, distraction is the key!!.

If i helped you or anyone else feel free to thank me :D.

<3 Big Andy

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

you need better friends andy lol all i will say is, dont take a friend who thinks that the best way to distract you is to make you laugh just as your artist is tattooing the wing feathers of one of your swallows on your stomach… i now have some “extra shading” on the wings to make up for it… bad friend! lol

vala
Participant
@vala

having read the whole thread so my apologies if this has already been said.

make sure you eat and drink something substantial beforehand. And also have a bottle of pop on hand.
On my 4th session on my sleeve I had exactly the same thing….about 15-20 mins into the session started feeling very hot, sweaty (basically on route to fainting). notified my artist who wrapped up the work that had currently been done, whilst I popped out for some fresh air and grabbed a bottle of coke. after that all was fine. and for my remaining sessions i made sure to bring a bottle of pop in with me.

American Infidel
Participant
@american-infidel

everyone sweats when they get tattooed. it all comes down to location, location location! for me, my arms were an absolute cake walk. legs were bad and chest and stomach were horrific. but if you think about like “damn im going to have a badass tatty when im done” the pain seems totally worth it right? If you dont like the pain dont get tattooed. 99% of people who get tattoos DONT like the pain but its just part of the experience of getting a tattoo. you know its going to hurt. that and when you show it off people will think your a total badass mofo :p because honestly….who wants to say “i couldnt take the pain so i put on numbing cream”? lol

winged_angel
Participant
@winged_angel

I have numbing cream put on my back for my piece and I found that it really helped. I’m very prone to fainting so I always have a couple of bottles of Coke (or similar) and about 4 bags of sugary sweets (such as Haribo). I am also one to psyche myself up but as soon as I get into the room with my tattooist I calm down. We put on some music and just chat and that helps calm me down and stops me sweating. All of this ‘numbing cream is looked down on’ isn’t true. I know alot of people who have used it and I think it’s a good idea. Just go with what you think will help.

SpideyFan
@

Grow up. You know that a tattoo is painful before you even get it. If you can’t handle it, then don’t get a tattoo. Period. And I do know something on this matter since I actually got a tattoo done on myself.

Chewy-Tart
Participant
@chewy-tart

Seems normal to me, I used to get that way too…I just eat tons of sour patch kids now : Gotta keep my sugars up, Im sure thats your case, you get yourself to worked up. as far as pain, that is something everyone handles differently, AND will change on location of the tattoo.. Sitting for 15 minuets is nothing. If you want someting big and are planning on sitting for a few hours at a time, you need to prepared. Always bring something like soda, and water, if you are sweating a lot you need to rehydrate..its best for your skin as well. Good luck

m3t4lh3ad
Participant
@m3t4lh3ad

I actually played a video game when I had my last piece done and it worked wonders. My tattooist doesn’t really talk much other than letting me know what’s going on if I can’t see, so I just sat and played my 3ds the whole time and it worked wonders. The sugary food idea is a good one, I’ve never tried it but I will do from now on.

As for numbing cream it’s all dependent. I used it for some of the piece on my ribs, but it was my first tattoo so I thought I’d need it more than I did, I ended up starting the second session late so the stuff had worn off and it was nowhere near as bad as I expected. Psyching yourself properly is half the problem really.

Chewy-Tart
Participant
@chewy-tart

I agree with the poster above,,, psyching yourself out is a big issue.. Ill admit in the beginning when I first started my back I got so worked up making myself scared etc over nothing, at times Id feel like I was gonna pass out. Now its nothing, but its been a year.. I also play on my Ipad, weather its watching sling box, playing words with friends etc. My artist always has loud music and loves to chit chat and that helps as well. But if your artist is quiet, just stay occupied. As much as you can while staying completely still.

zuff
Participant
@zuff
BigAndy1988;102119 wrote:
The best way i deal with pain is to talk (Read more for explanation).

Sounds simple huh? Well for me it is heh. I use speech as a distraction, i haven’t had any work done on me yet because I want my tatoo to make me look young, and a very good place to find young tatoos is here, but in my life i have went through allot of painful things, Someone at a party thought it would be a great idea to BRAND ME .

Yes brand =S. They stuck a Zippo on my left wrist that was white hot. At first it hurt so bad i thought i was going to be sick!.

But after a couple off minutes off talking to friend’s the pain was more or less gone (most likely due to nerve damage). I hadn’t drank anything so that wasn’t a factor.

So basically my advice is keep your mind on something else, distraction is the key!!.

If i helped you or anyone else feel free to thank me :D.

<3 Big Andy

Hi please forgive me if I misunderstood you but I’m new to this place. Are you saying in order not to move while you get a tatoo you should focus on another source of pain by holding for instance something burning in your hand ? thanks very much

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose
zuff;113169 wrote:
Hi please forgive me if I misunderstood you but I’m new to this place. Are you saying in order not to move while you get a tatoo you should focus on another source of pain by holding for instance something burning in your hand ? thanks very much

You could try nailing one of your nuts to the tattoo chair, should sway the pain away from the tattoo ๐Ÿ˜€

TheFitChick2
Participant
@thefitchick2

Yup-already been said- TALK. Oh & music.
Thankfully my artist was intelligent and had interesting things to talk about! I’m sure it would’ve been a lot worse if not. I brought my laptop, cell…the usual suspects eh? But didn’t really use ’em too much or want to move too much.
Tried to hydrate for a good 5 days before and drank a liter on the way over. Also took 4 Ibuprofen/Advil right before-but not days leading up b/c I think that would’ve affected bleeding (not the taking right before).
I didn’t sweat-place was kept rather cool.
I didn’t eat-though I’d brought snacks.
I don’t know…nut up, I guess, like the previous poster said.
The bad times were when she started new areas. After a couple of hours…was feeling pretty euphoric. In fact, walked out while totally forgetting said laptop & crap…didn’t care. ๐Ÿ˜‰

ps-EVERYONE I know that smoked up before had a bad experience and ended up concentrating more on the pain so…

ur_tatau_is_probably_gay
@

First of al,l your next tattoo needs to be a cover up. Your date of birth? What you can’t remember? Its lame and unoriginal. As for the “pain”, it was actually just your body rejecting the shit tattoo. growe a pair

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 245 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.