Phoenix5
Participant
@phoenix5

Ok so I got my first tattoo a couple months ago:

2rdyn3n.jpg

The artist said he couldn’t sketch up the colored version so I decided to just trust him. He took some liberties with the outline that I didn’t know about as well (the detail in the feathers). I don’t really love how it turned out and want to get it adjusted, thought I’d get some opinions on what to fix up.

The head seems awkward, the flames, the details in the feathers, and the lack of detail/shading are what bothers me, what do you all think?

Note: It’s not finished, I ran out of money before I could get the other wing and flames done but you get the idea.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

I think it’s quite horrible 🙁
I’m sorry, but you found yourself an awful tattooer, and the result fits the maker.

I guess the good thing is that it’s mostly so light that it could be covered completely with something good.

Phoenix5
Participant
@phoenix5
ArniVidar;86065 wrote:
I think it’s quite horrible 🙁
I’m sorry, but you found yourself an awful tattooer, and the result fits the maker.

I guess the good thing is that it’s mostly so light that it could be covered completely with something good.

Thanks (As weird of a response as it seems). I’m tired of getting sugar coated answers. I love the idea I have but don’t like how it turned out. Any suggestions on how to go with it for the new version?

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Well, I would start by finding a proper tattoo artist, and meanwhile save up a grand or two. Fixing that thing is not going to be cheap. A good tattoo artist with experience in coverups will tell you what you can and can’t do with it. Personally I’d believe it could be fixed with a new (better) but slightly darker Phoenix… but that’s for the artist to decide.

Phoenix5
Participant
@phoenix5

A Grand or Two? Well then I won’t be finished for a while but I can just get it done in bits and pieces. I have two artists sketching up redesigns for me at the moment, though one seems kind of iffy about just how much he’ll be able to fix which I don’t understand why if it is possible to just go over it.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

If he’s iffy about it, you don’t want him doing it. Coverups aren’t like straight tattooing. You need to properly and correctly incorporate every line of what’s beneath into the new one above, because it will all show through in a sense. You need an artist that’s good at and used to covering up poor work with good work.

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

holy shit, this is the best phoenix tattoo i have ever seen!!!!!! awesome!!!!

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

and if you cant afford a grand or two in the first place, you should have gotten something smaller instead of trying to pay a couple hundred or whatever for a full back piece.

next time, save up until you can go to a real tattoo artist and not someone working out of their kitchen.

as for covering it up, it looks like it would be FAIRLY easy enough by a GOOD cover up artist. if you want the BEST cover up artist, check out tim “victim” pangburn.

Phoenix5
Participant
@phoenix5
ArniVidar;86073 wrote:
If he’s iffy about it, you don’t want him doing it. Coverups aren’t like straight tattooing. You need to properly and correctly incorporate every line of what’s beneath into the new one above, because it will all show through in a sense. You need an artist that’s good at and used to covering up poor work with good work.

I was actually recommended to this artist by a friend whose friend got a good cover up job from him. I have an appointment Monday to take a look at what he’s done so far and I plan on stopping by the other place this weekend as well. I’ll hopefully have it figured out just what they’re both capable of and whether I want either of them working on it.

yodaddynukka;86075 wrote:
holy shit, this is the best phoenix tattoo i have ever seen!!!!!! awesome!!!!
yodaddynukka;86076 wrote:
and if you cant afford a grand or two in the first place, you should have gotten something smaller instead of trying to pay a couple hundred or whatever for a full back piece.

next time, save up until you can go to a real tattoo artist and not someone working out of their kitchen.

as for covering it up, it looks like it would be FAIRLY easy enough by a GOOD cover up artist. if you want the BEST cover up artist, check out tim “victim” pangburn.

Well someone’s opinion sure changed quickly within 3 minutes.

I don’t want something smaller, and it is meaningful for me to get it soon so I would rather go sitting at a time until it’s finished than wait a year to get the money.

And for someone “working out of their kitchen” they sure did mange to produce the “best phoenix you’ve ever seen.” I don’t really get where you’re coming from.

ithompson
Participant
@ithompson

I understand that sarcasm is hard to get over the internet, but it’s pretty obvious here.

Simple truth is your tattoo is really really bad. But like the other two said save money, find yourself a good artist and get it covered as soon as possible.

Adler
Participant
@adler

If money is a primary factor when getting a tattoo, these kind of results should be expected. And if you’re going to continue to allow money and time to influence the redesign or cover then it won’t get any better. I’m afraid your logic and priorities are only going to leave you with a bigger mess than you already have…sorry for the harsh feedback. (not really)

Phoenix5
Participant
@phoenix5
ithompson;86079 wrote:
I understand that sarcasm is hard to get over the internet, but it’s pretty obvious here.

Simple truth is your tattoo is really really bad. But like the other two said save money, find yourself a good artist and get it covered as soon as possible.

Sorry, wasn’t expecting such douche baggery on a tattoo forum tbh. And sarcasm on the internet? About as useful as screen doors on a submarine.

Any thoughts about what I should do with the head? Would it look odd to twist the beak, take out the eye, and even out the sides? And would it be possible to even have it covered up facing the other way? I have no real obligation to direction or anything, just the symbol.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Dude I’m sorry you got a mess of a tattoo but rushing into “getting it fixed” is most likely got to get you a bigger pile of shit that will even be harder to fix. Save your money and get it fixed correctly with a proper cover up. post up a link to the artist you are planning to use. There are some serious tattoo enthusiasts here and can tell you if they are going to be able to pull this off. Think before you ink.
Did you just have someone in a drug store take a picture of your back?

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

ill take being a douche bag over having that on my back any day. for the record, i tried following up the sarcasm with a helpful post (just in case anyone out there is pulling out the ban hammer).

seniorminnion
Participant
@seniorminnion

cant believe you actually saw good examples of that artist’s work before going ahead with that tattoo !! ( though if you did then I think he’s passed off someone elses’ work as his own !!
( he obviously cant even draw – let alone tattoo ! )

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 176 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.