anonymous
    Participant
    @anonymous

@GrayCatLove 134627 wrote:

It really comes down to genetics. How you were raised has an impact, as do eating and exercise habits, but I think that “drive to eat” gene plays a huge role. My dad and I both hate to eat at work. We’ll drink sodas and eat candy some days, but getting us to go to the cafeteria is hard, or pack a meal.

The genetics excuse is just that. Sure, genetics may predispose us to certain characteristics, but being predisposed doesn’t make us predestined. The single biggest impact on our adult lifestyle habits, according to decades of research on the subject, is how we were raised. Again though, this only makes us predisposed to these behaviors, not predestined. Genetically, I am predisposed to being scrawny as hell. My parents didn’t help as they raised me to live off junk food and avoid working out like it was the plague. And hell, that is what I did for 30 years of my life in part because eating junk and not exercising had become habit, but also due to the misconception that I was genetically prohibited from doing any better. Then one day I decided to change my diet and start working out. Sure I’m never going to be built like Jay Cutler or Ronnie Coleman, but I don’t need to remain built like Mr. Bean either. 😀 Here’s a before and after.

hwy1so.jpg

Now don’t get me wrong. If you’re happy where you’re at, great. I just hate to see people convinced (as I was for most of my life) that they can’t achieve a particular goal due to the misconception that they are genetically prohibited from doing so.

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

I didn’t say anyone was predisposed to get fatter off the same number of calories. I said “drive to eat” for a reason.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

I haven’t posted in this thread

problem solved

Viewing 3 posts - 61 through 63 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.