GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

Getting tattooed out of a house by a licensed artist who operates under state guidelines is probably just as safe as a shop, really. You’re going to have less traffic, too, and that’s always a positive.

I believe Ryan knows me well enough that if he’s a dick about this, I will destroy his, although, honestly, he’s professional. (Which, unfortunately, some tattoo artists think they’re a bunch of bad ass outlaws who can be rude, break sterile/clean technique, flirt, and generally do whatever the fuck they feel like. And I’m too big of a bitch to take 30 seconds worth of it. I make Roseanne Barr look like June Cleaver.)

Don’t worry about the weight thing until you have the passion and commitment. I will tell you, every five years that pass, it gets successively harder to drop significant weight, but that’s not going to be the trigger in motivating you. And if you’re never ready, so what? Obviously it’s not impacting your dating life. If you can do what you love and you’re healthy, then really weight loss is about vanity (I’m very vain, so I’m not dissing vanity) and preventative health care measures. (I also like those.)

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

What you really need to figure out is; Do you need to work on your weight, or your self esteem?
    if you’re not comfortable in your body – change it. You’re completely capable of doing it. It’s all about working out and eating healthy. A lot of people say ” hate to work out” or “I don’t like healthy food”, well guess what? it’s because you haven’t learned to. If you’re determined and really want something, you’ll find a work out that works for you and that you enjoy, and you’ll find a diet that suits you. Sugar is addicting, and it’s scary to quit. But once you listen to your body, you’ll find a lot of new things to like. So if that’s a road you want to take – you can.
    At the same time; If you want to be comfortable in your body the way it is, you need to work on your state of mind. You need to accept that someone might look down on you, some people are assholes and some people just won’t get it. You just need to figure out what is the right way for you, and stand proud in your own skin!
    Tattoos are never going to heal all your issues. These kinds of issues have a much more underlying reason, and tattoos won’t fix that.
    They might help and make you feel more confident, but there are other steps you need to take as well. Doesn’t matter how many times someone tells you that you look great, if you don’t believe it yourself.
    Make a realistic and conscious decision about your own life and what you want, I think that’s the only way to really feel sure about what you’re doing.

Mistress_Of_Pain
    Participant
    @mistress_of_pain

@poxphobia 134656 wrote:

What you really need to figure out is; Do you need to work on your weight, or your self esteem?
    if you’re not comfortable in your body – change it. You’re completely capable of doing it. It’s all about working out and eating healthy. A lot of people say ” hate to work out” or “I don’t like healthy food”, well guess what? it’s because you haven’t learned to. If you’re determined and really want something, you’ll find a work out that works for you and that you enjoy, and you’ll find a diet that suits you. Sugar is addicting, and it’s scary to quit. But once you listen to your body, you’ll find a lot of new things to like. So if that’s a road you want to take – you can.
    At the same time; If you want to be comfortable in your body the way it is, you need to work on your state of mind. You need to accept that someone might look down on you, some people are assholes and some people just won’t get it. You just need to figure out what is the right way for you, and stand proud in your own skin!
    Tattoos are never going to heal all your issues. These kinds of issues have a much more underlying reason, and tattoos won’t fix that.
    They might help and make you feel more confident, but there are other steps you need to take as well. Doesn’t matter how many times someone tells you that you look great, if you don’t believe it yourself.
    Make a realistic and conscious decision about your own life and what you want, I think that’s the only way to really feel sure about what you’re doing.

I think a lot of my issues are both my weight and self esteem. No, dating life has not been an issue. Engaged for going on almost 8 years now (yea, yea..you’d think we’d be married right now!) I do not mind eating healthy, I’ve definitely eaten a lot worse than I do now in my past. Working out..well, not my forte. I think a lot of my problem is finding the motivation to do such a thing as well as the time considering I work all day long and by the time I get home it’s pretty much bed time or at least close to. I just think a lot of my problem right now still living at home, only able to control a little bit of the things I eat. I work at a grocery store pretty much which can be a good and bad thing. I am comfortable in the skin I’m in, at least to an extent but I could use a few changes..if that makes any sense. Didn’t mean to make this such an off topic sort of thread even though it still includes the talk of tattoos lol

Mistress_Of_Pain
    Participant
    @mistress_of_pain

Getting tattooed out of a house by a licensed artist who operates under state guidelines is probably just as safe as a shop, really. You’re going to have less traffic, too, and that’s always a positive.

Yes, it is a big plus. Like I mentioned, it was also a lot more personal and we weren’t strapped for time. Hell, we were there all day and really never paid any attention to when we started or stopped like we would in a shop. I did 12:30-4 for my couple of touch ups (of course with breaks thrown in there) and then we stopped and went to get a bite to eat and then came back and worked on my fiance’s tattoo. We didn’t get home til about 7pm. We watched a few movies which definitely helped keep my mind occupied even though I’m one of those who doesn’t mind the pain..I’ll be a little out there and say I love it! Kind of hoping he’s not in a shop come Halloween when I go in to finish up my sleeve but if he is, that’s just fine as well.

yodaddynukka
    Participant
    @yodaddynukka

@peterpoose 134625 wrote:

Is it important to you for others to see your tattoos? For me its not 🙂

100% agree with this quote.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@peterpoose 134625 wrote:

Is it important to you for others to see your tattoos? For me its not 🙂

Interesting question. I’m not getting tattooed to impress anybody. However, I’ve spent approximately the last 25 years of my life in public service. I don’t fit the stereotype of most politicians either Republican or Democrat. I was once chastised by a former borough manager for going to a council meeting not wearing socks. (I thought about sex discrimination charges because the women weren’t wearing socks either) I don’t hide my tattoos, I did become a curiosity, mainly at the local farmer’s market. Do I like catching people staring at me? To a point, yes. Is it important? No.

Oscar Wilde once said: “The only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about”

Mistress_Of_Pain
    Participant
    @mistress_of_pain

No it’s not important for others to see my tattoos even though most of my tattoos are visible on a daily basis. I suppose there is nothing wrong having those couple of tattoos that are just seen on intimate occasions 😛

Dan
    Participant
    @dan

@Mistress_Of_Pain 134604 wrote:

Lately, with the work being done to my Life After Death sleeve coming quickly to a close, I’ve been thinking of what I want my next tattoo to be and where I want to put it. I’ve got plenty of real estate left of course with only having two half sleeves and a tattoo on both of my calves. While thinking about placement for future ideas, I’ve been noticing I’m a bit self conscious when it comes to certain areas of my body. I’m not exactly skinny. I’ve got curves, though I’ve really grown to hate my thighs and stomach area (the more common problem areas for us women!). I would love to get tattoos down my sides, on my thighs and all of those places problem places but I’m afraid people won’t see them because I don’t show those areas much if at all. Am I wrong for feeling this way? All of my other tattoos have made me feel better about myself in some way but when I think about my future tattoos and possible areas of placement I get self conscious. Maybe I’m just being weird over it all considering I’ve got plenty of other places to tattoo. Just throwing my little rant into the mix here..

I’m an old guy with a beer belly and I got my Jess Yen tiger on my ribs/hip/ass and I show it all the time and in Hawaii I go swimming without a shirt,I’m no GQ guy,but I am what I am,if people don’t like looking at me,then DON’T ! LOL

whether a woman is slender or curvy,it’s all sexy IMO,being sexy & hawt is as much a frame of mind as it is physical.

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

@NorCalDan 134683 wrote:

I’m an old guy with a beer belly and I got my Jess Yen tiger on my ribs/hip/ass and I show it all the time and in Hawaii I go swimming without a shirt,I’m no GQ guy,but I am what I am,if people don’t like looking at me,then DON’T ! LOL

whether a woman is slender or curvy,it’s all sexy IMO,being sexy & hawt is as much a frame of mind as it is physical.

What he’s saying is important. I’ve had people tell me I look like a lesbian, I’m too fat, I’m too thin, I’m too pale. People are rude. No matter what your size or what you look like, someone’s going to be a jerk. Family can be the worst offenders. You get better at blowing them off with time. You have to step out and look out for you.

ezrider
    Participant
    @ezrider

@NorCalDan 134683 wrote:

@GrayCatLove 134688 wrote:

What he’s saying is important. I’ve had people tell me I look like a lesbian, I’m too fat, I’m too thin, I’m too pale. People are rude. No matter what your size or what you look like, someone’s going to be a jerk. Family can be the worst offenders. You get better at blowing them off with time. You have to step out and look out for you.

both posts are spot on… My wife has gone through many transformations with her body over the nearly 17 years we’ve been together and the 14 years we’ve been married. she’s as hot to me today as she was nearly 20 years ago. and GCL you are correct family can definitely be the worst offenders.

Dan
    Participant
    @dan

I get self conscious. .

well don’t do that ! I have had a inner battle with that too as I have gotten older,but in the last year or so and more so recently with getting this tiger on my side,I have begun to release that fear,I see the younger guys with better bods then me,that’s good for them,but this is me,and hell ! I kind of put myself out there in this thread (I know you saw it) ! http://www.thetattooforum.com/got-jess-yen-piece-2-weeks-ago-here-one-my-tattoos-t23153p2.html#post133082 and also at the body art expo when I had it done,my butt and side was hanging out there with no shirt on, on the main isle for 8 hours ! I guess it was a breakthrough of sorts for me ! LOL

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@NorCalDan 134696 wrote:

well don’t do that ! I have had a inner battle with that too as I have gotten older,but in the last year or so and more so recently with getting this tiger on my side,I have begun to release that fear,I see the younger guys with better bods then me,that’s good for them,but this is me,and hell ! I kind of put myself out there in this thread (I know you saw it) ! http://www.thetattooforum.com/got-jess-yen-piece-2-weeks-ago-here-one-my-tattoos-t23153p2.html#post133082 and also at the body art expo when I had it done,shit,my butt and side was hanging out there on the main isle for 8 hours ! I guess it was a breakthrough of sorts for me ! LOL

I’ve always had a good relationship with the youth in my neighborhood. (When I have Halloween off I scare the hell out of the kids) Tattoos just seem to suite me and they are just one more link between the generations.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

I’m a bit self conscious when it comes to certain areas of my body. I’m not exactly skinny.

I’m less self conscious since I’ve gotten tattooed. (I’m not close to skinny!)

Mistress_Of_Pain
    Participant
    @mistress_of_pain

@NorCalDan 134696 wrote:

well don’t do that ! I have had a inner battle with that too as I have gotten older,but in the last year or so and more so recently with getting this tiger on my side,I have begun to release that fear,I see the younger guys with better bods then me,that’s good for them,but this is me,and hell ! I kind of put myself out there in this thread (I know you saw it) ! http://www.thetattooforum.com/got-jess-yen-piece-2-weeks-ago-here-one-my-tattoos-t23153p2.html#post133082 and also at the body art expo when I had it done,shit,my butt and side was hanging out there with no shirt on, on the main isle for 8 hours ! I guess it was a breakthrough of sorts for me ! LOL

Thank you for the visual! 😛 Glad I’m not the only one though, really. I mean I’m not that bad. Got a little bit of a tummy, my thighs aren’t exactly thin or toned but there again my calves aren’t either but I have tattoos on them that I show all of the time. I don’t know why this is bugging me so bad all of a sudden.

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

Tattooing whole body forces people t. Oo look at themselves much the way you do if you’re an avid runner or bodybuilder. And who likes their flaws pointed out? It’s like if I put on a swimsuit, and you follow behind me saying, “Cellulite! Cellulite! Look!” Yeah, it’s there no matter what, but yelling about it or otherwise using a memento to point it out forces you to confront it. Peoplewho make alternative lifestyle choices have to really analyze themselves more than the mainstream. It can cause vanity, shame, or some combination. None of those are bad if you put them to use.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.