Zorba
Participant
@zorba

My late father got this one to memorialize my mother. He was 86 when he got it, about 9 months before he too passed.

hutongsa
Participant
@hutongsa
ClarkCSM;81044 wrote:
Hello,

I was hoping to have a discussion after searching around the forums for a bit.

I don’t mean to be offensive. And I’m not trying to start an argument. In fact I’m not even trying to change opinions, which is often futile anyway. I’m just looking to find perspective on something that I’ve noticed after looking around and asking a few questions.

Why does there seem to be a lot of hate for text tattoos? Especially tattoos that consist of a lot of text?

I’ve read from others that they are boring; but then what constitutes something that isn’t? What is a truly interesting tattoo then? Just about everything has been done to death nowadays. No offense, but surely koi fish and nautical stars are just as boring?

I’ve read that they look like blobs from far away. But don’t sleeves look exactly the same? From a distance, a sleeve most often looks like someone dipped their arm in gray paint. It’s not until you get close that you can see the intricacies of the artwork.

It seems to me, that at the heart of this, is the question of what should a tattoo be; something that looks good, or something that has meaning to you.

So I want to ask, is it more important that a tattoo means something important, or that it’s aesthetically pleasing?

Thank you for any input.

I think test tattoo is accepted !You can look for a temporary tattoo that is similar to your tattoo design and try it on. This will give you a good idea of what the tattoo will look like once it is on your body but, more then likely, it won’t be the exact tattoo that you are looking for.

sbtome5998
Participant
@sbtome5998

I have a lot of text on me. To me words can have more meaning than a piece of are. Text in itself is an art form..typography. If it is beautiful to you then that is what you should get. Its the beauty of the feeling you receive from it that means the most.:)

arnoldsantos1
Participant
@arnoldsantos1

I think around five words for a text tattoo is fine. Less is usually better because then it could be done bigger, and bigger allows for more style. I think nice, fancy handwritten script makes a great tattoo (and also calligraphy).
I am not a fan of poems, bible verses, song lyrics etc. All that stuff is fine on paper. If a poem needs to be recited, it doesn’t have to be read from a tattoo. Bibles aren’t rare. Karaoke is funner.
I am also not a fan of fonts. Tattoo collectors need to keep in mind that tattooers do what they do because they enjoy drawing and creating. Asking a tattooer to replicate by hand, a computer-printed image is punishment and insulting.
Anyway, I like the same recycled stuff that everyone else has like koi’s, skulls, snakes, roses, tigers, dragons, girls blah blah blah. None of my tattoos mean shit. I just like how they look. The things that are important to me, I don’t need tattoos of.

Amok
Participant
@amok

To me most script tattoos look awful. A couple words within an image can look good, but a tattoo consisting entirely of words is ugly. It’s like an artist having a blank canvas then writing a paragraph on it. You wouldnt hang that shit on your wall unless you had no sense of style.

lookepeanut
@

I have 32 sentences on my back , the tattoo isn’t done and will be complete with an artistic design. I always loved image and text tattoo and think that both have a meaning. Image tattoo mostly need to be explain in words. Text tattoo only need to be read for the meaning. As sbtome5998 says text itself is and art!

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

Im with Amok, text alone doesnt look right, script never looks right, looks wonky right after its been done……you guys are young, 10 years after you get your script its going to look really wonky, facts is ink moves ever so slightly…thats all is takes to make the text look bad

Why not wear original art? why wear someone elses words?

sbtome5998
Participant
@sbtome5998

Whats the difference between the someone else’s art of words and the art of images?

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

I have text on my ribs, they are my own words no-one elses everyone who sees it compliments it (tattooed and otherwise) and although its not finished (currently just the words, gettting more around it, just some smoky philigree when i can stand the pain) it suits my purposes perfectly. To say that words are not art is ridiculous not to mention somewhat ignorant. I dont think anyone can say that they have never heard a song or a poem or read a book that hasnt seriously resonated with them and been beautiful. TBH saying that you hate all text tattooes is just tattoo snobbery. There are things that i would personally not put on my own skin but to say that they are crap and insulting to the artist is silly. i know tattoo artists that actually quite enjoy doing script or text as it challenges them to have a steady hand an be precise which you dont necessarily need to do when covering a large area of shading. i am open to all tattoos even ones that i think look silly as long as they are well done.

This is mine, if it loads properly, and i am very very happy with it 😀

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Nope. Doesn’t load. 🙂

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

bugger, how do you post a picture that’s saved on your hard drive? coz i can only find the option to use a web page :S

ArniVidar
@arnividar

The easiest way is to upload the pictures to your album, then use the BB code below the picture and post that in a thread.

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

ok try this…

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

if kitty is happy thats all that matters…………………..but perhaps we should discuss her text again in 15 years……….the text is pretty small and will grow very close together or together…………….. I cant apologize for my oipinion I have watched this happen so many times in the 33 years I have been hanging in shops If I had a nickle every time Id be rich

I believe we should wear custom work designed with an artists help using our own thoughts and input, I dont believe in copying someone elses artwork or words, no matter how famous, express your sentiments in your own way, not somoene elses

remember, just expressing my 2 cents based on my 233 hours of ink and 33 years of hanging in shops every week all over the world, your opinions a just as valid, and sharing our opinions is why we are all here

Wardy
Participant
@wardy
mrchen;101701 wrote:
if kitty is happy thats all that matters…………………..but perhaps we should discuss her text again in 15 years……….the text is pretty small and will grow very close together or together…………….. I cant apologize for my oipinion I have watched this happen so many times in the 33 years I have been hanging in shops If I had a nickle every time Id be rich

I believe we should wear custom work designed with an artists help using our own thoughts and input, I dont believe in copying someone elses artwork or words, no matter how famous, express your sentiments in your own way, not somoene elses

remember, just expressing my 2 cents based on my 233 hours of ink and 33 years of hanging in shops every week all over the world, your opinions a just as valid, and sharing our opinions is why we are all here

you don’t get a tattoo for what they will look like in the future whether it be 15 years or 50 years you get it for now who cares what it will look like when your struggling to walk and shitting yourself every 2 minutes.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.