Grin n Wear It
Participant
@grin-n-wear-it

There is certainly much gain in humility and a whole lot of strife in holding onto pride. Wish I’d learned that one along time ago…ego and pride are expensive ornaments to hold onto! Sounds like you wised-up sometime ago, good on you…and it is paying dividends eh 🙂

ArniVidar
@arnividar
Grin n Wear It;57268 wrote:
There is certainly much gain in humility and a whole lot of strife in holding onto pride.

I sometimes wonder if that’s not part of the answer to the big question about the meaning of life. My life has improved SO much since I began understanding that I wasn’t as all-powerful, all-wise and all-perfect as I imagined myself to be. 🙂

Stu
Participant
@stu
Grin n Wear It;57268 wrote:
There is certainly much gain in humility and a whole lot of strife in holding onto pride. Wish I’d learned that one along time ago…ego and pride are expensive ornaments to hold onto! Sounds like you wised-up sometime ago, good on you…and it is paying dividends eh 🙂

I learnt to wise up very quickly in the armed forces – prob one of the best moves I ever made (I’d still be there if it wasn’t for a knackered knee) but decided not to be judgemental as I went into a very negative spell and anti the establishment when I came out with stupid amounts of piercings, different hair styles/ bright colours each week and wosre hit the drink and drugs. Decided once clean that I will treat people in the manner that treated me well when I did look different – seemed to have worked for me (also been clean for 10 years+ now 🙂 )

Grin n Wear It
Participant
@grin-n-wear-it

ArniVidar said

Quote:
My life has improved SO much since I began understanding that I wasn’t as all-powerful, all-wise and all-perfect as I imagined myself to be.

I can soooo… relate to that…Arni 😀
We can spend so much of our lives fooling ourselves that we are something that we’re not, hiding behind a lie. All we gain for our efforts is the fear that one day someone will discover who we really are!! :eek:. Better to be free to glory in our weaknesses than tremble behind a lie. I’ve found it such a blessing to acknowledge my limitations, strange as that may sound…that is real power, as it sets a person free from that which once bound them!

There are unseen laws in life, laws that are as real as the law of gravity and the speed of light. Stu has learned to stay on the right side of these laws, freeing himself from all the curses and pitfalls that come from breaking them when he said… in not so many words:

Quote:
…to treat people as he’d like to be treated himself

in doing so he fulfills all the law, and if you fulfill the law who have you got to fear?

You certainly can force people to respect you but that kind of ‘forced’ respect comes at a price…such as fear, suspicion and the knowledge that when you do fall…and you will, rather than receiving help from concerned friends…you’re more likely to get a good kicking while you’re down! Sad, but true eh?

Blue1
Participant
@blue1
ArniVidar;57315 wrote:
My life has improved SO much since I began understanding that I wasn’t as all-powerful, all-wise and all-perfect as I imagined myself to be. 🙂

I know what you mean.

Stu;57320 wrote:
. Decided once clean that I will treat people in the manner that treated me well when I did look different – seemed to have worked for me (also been clean for 10 years+ now 🙂 )

I try to treat every one with respect (as much as they give me anyway) but being ink covered and a woman (here) even if you give respect, you are immediately judged as trash or a whore…if a guy…everyone thinks its cool and he is just the bomb! Really chaps my ass.

CONGRATS to you!

I’m off the drugs (6 years) but still working getting control of the alcohol.

Grin n Wear It
Participant
@grin-n-wear-it

Blue1 said

Quote:
I’m off the drugs (6 years) but still working getting control of the alcohol.

Good for you blue…
Every battle begins in the mind and every temptation and action has it’s origin there. If you can master the mind you can master your whole life. But you have to be quick…give a weed enough time to sink down it’s roots down and it’ll spring-up bless you with it;s fruits of thorns! Give a thought time to…

Blue1
Participant
@blue1
Grin n Wear It;57347 wrote:
Blue1 said

Good for you blue…
Every battle begins in the mind and every temptation and action has it’s origin there. If you can master the mind you can master your whole life. But you have to be quick…give a weed enough time to sink down it’s roots down and it’ll spring-up bless you with it;s fruits of thorns! Give a thought time to…

thanks Grin.

Only 1 problem….my Mind is a bit on the “warped” side. lol

Stu
Participant
@stu
Blue1;57349 wrote:
thanks Grin.

Only 1 problem….my Mind is a bit on the “warped” side. lol

Fair do’s on the being clean and just keep it that way 🙂

Whats to say yours isn’t normal and the others are warped – c’mon many of those across the pond don’t appreciate good sarcasm 😀 Plus from a ‘warped’ mind you get a better artistic value and appreciate things better and from an out the box manner – prob how it was designed 😉

Aussie_Al
Participant
@aussie_al
Stu;57114 wrote:
I’ve been turned away from places too for my tattoos ‘sorry we don’t allow your type in here!’ – none of which are offensive. Once by a doorman with a crappy tattoo on his neck – proper back street scratcher job bet he was jealous of decent ink 😉

Haha – I bet he was the jealous pr*ck!:D

Blue1
Participant
@blue1
Stu;57352 wrote:
Fair do’s on the being clean and just keep it that way 🙂

Whats to say yours isn’t normal and the others are warped – c’mon many of those across the pond don’t appreciate good sarcasm 😀 Plus from a ‘warped’ mind you get a better artistic value and appreciate things better and from an out the box manner – prob how it was designed 😉

Very well put…maybe the others are the warped minded ones. lol

And I always enjoy good sarcasm Stu. I live off of it and it keeps me sharp. 🙂

Asenath83
Participant
@asenath83
Stu;57258 wrote:
It was a picture 😀 They kinda didn’t know what to do/ say or cover thier embarrasement 😀 Of course I made the most of it and pointed out thier reviews coming up – must say thier work efforts improved afterwards and each and everyone had the predudice part mentioned in thier written reviews! Think they have learnt what to slag off especially when it covers their former royal marine boss :p

I know I am late for that part of the party, but… BAHAHAHA, epic!

Stu
Participant
@stu
Asenath83;57372 wrote:
I know I am late for that part of the party, but… BAHAHAHA, epic!

Never too late……just fashionably late :p

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

The thing is, tattoos are something you either get, or you don’t. If they ain’t part of who you are, at a fundamental level, then you ain’t like us man, and you just ain’t gonna “get them” or us. It’s nothing against you, I’m just saying that for those of us who are serious about the art, tattooing speaks to something deeper in us, something indefinable, in the same way any art or music does.

On the other hand, there’s alot of ink out there on people who don’t get it. For many it’s become a statement of fashionable rebellion, no different than buying a Thundercat purse or a hoodie with a skull on it. Sorority girls go into shops and pick flash off the walls, or get quarter sized roses on their ankles. Idiots go down to the local vine street and pay some kitchen magician, some sorta scratcher scum to draw some incomprehensible gibberish on their arm for $15. It’s a show of how naughty and sex and fun loving and easy and rebellious you are, or how hard and thuggish you is. It’s got no passion, it’s all fashion.

It cheapens it, and it bugs the shit out of me.

So you’re not gonna come to understand tattoos man. You either get it, or ya don’t. You either do it for the love, or you do it for the fashion.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Stu
Participant
@stu
KnightHawk;57383 wrote:
On the other hand, there’s alot of ink out there on people who don’t get it. For many it’s become a statement of fashionable rebellion, no different than buying a Thundercat purse or a hoodie with a skull on it. Sorority girls go into shops and pick flash off the walls, or get quarter sized roses on their ankles. Idiots go down to the local vine street and pay some kitchen magician, some sorta scratcher scum to draw some incomprehensible gibberish on their arm for $15. It’s a show of how naughty and sex and fun loving and easy and rebellious you are, or how hard and thuggish you is. It’s got no passion, it’s all fashion.

It cheapens it, and it bugs the shit out of me.

So you’re not gonna come to understand tattoos man. You either get it, or ya don’t. You either do it for the love, or you do it for the fashion.

I will amuse those people – never slate anyones stuff if they like it I’m happy – kinda nod and smile but atleast I know they’re not proper tattoo fans.

I work in the bike industry so see many wanna-be’s like that – plus having to agree thier pile’o’crap bike is the best thing since sliced bread.

I like a peaceful world and if people are happy with whatever they have who am I to break thier illusion of life as long as it doesn’t harm others. A quarter sized tattoo to one person is a back piece to another!

NeckTattoosRock
Participant
@necktattoosrock

It’s like something happens in your life and you never want to forget it. You want to take that lesson and permenantly engrave it into your skin.
If it’s just to look cool i dunno you probably regret it.
It’s a “I may be a mommy” or “I may be Corporate” but I still play by my rules kinda statement.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 82 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.