Grin n Wear It
Participant
@grin-n-wear-it

They always say were always only a few years behind the States in most things…long as it’s not gun crime though hey!

ArniVidar
@arnividar
Grin n Wear It;56071 wrote:
Do you know when those programs hit the air Miss Ivy?

Miami Ink first aired in July 2005, on TLC.

Although I had already become interested in tattooing at that time, that show and it’s spin-off LA Ink and sister-show London Ink, have been showing viewers pretty spectacular tattoos. I for one have been greatly inspired by watching these shows, because they have shown me the best of most genres and I’ve learned what I like and don’t like.

Grin n Wear It
Participant
@grin-n-wear-it

Looks like they are one of…if not the biigest contributer to the acceptability of tats in the UK then, hitting the airwaves right in the booms years too! Talk about good timing…

Asenath83
Participant
@asenath83
Aussie_Al;56067 wrote:
I am no sure where is started either but I do think shows like Miami Ink and LA ink have helped the general public accept it more!

That’s a bit like the problem with the chicken and the egg though… what came first? Why make a show about getting tattooed when no one cares or even worse thinks very negatively about it? I always thought that these shows started BECAUSE the interest in tattoos as an art from and the whole process of planning them and getting them dome was increasing.
While the shows in turned have undoubtedly fuelled that interest further, there must have been something just before that.

Grin n Wear It
Participant
@grin-n-wear-it

Lets face it…if tats were the same quality as they were in the 70’s there would’ve never been shows like that to fuel them on. So, maybe first came the better quality of tattoos which fueled shows like the ‘inks’, then celebs and trailblazers like most of you guys…

Asenath83
Participant
@asenath83
Grin n Wear It;56084 wrote:
Lets face it…if tats were the same quality as they were in the 70’s there would’ve never been shows like that to fuel them on. So, maybe first came the better quality of tattoos which fueled shows like the ‘inks’, then celebs and trailblazers like most of you guys…

That is a GOOD point actually. I have a book on tattoo history and it’s amazing how much has changed over the last 30 years.

Aussie_Al
Participant
@aussie_al

From memory Miami Ink came out in 2005

Benjaminho
Participant
@benjaminho

Nightclubs and tattoos… ive had friends who’ve said that sometimes they get turned away because of tattoos on fore arms, and can only get into dumps without wearing long sleeved shirts

Stu
Participant
@stu
Benjaminho;57110 wrote:
Nightclubs and tattoos… ive had friends who’ve said that sometimes they get turned away because of tattoos on fore arms, and can only get into dumps without wearing long sleeved shirts

I’ve been turned away from places too for my tattoos ‘sorry we don’t allow your type in here!’ – none of which are offensive. Once by a doorman with a crappy tattoo on his neck – proper back street scratcher job bet he was jealous of decent ink ๐Ÿ˜‰

Grin n Wear It
Participant
@grin-n-wear-it

That’s interesting…goes some way to proving that there still prevails an attitude that says…
those who wear tattoos are of a lower moral standard, more prone to start fights or cause trouble

However, although this attitude does still exists it is certainly not as bad as it once was, with tats being worn by the full range of society, from the hardened criminal to the respectable business man and young girl. The days of trying to ‘pigeon-hole’ all who wear tats or piercings is ‘almost’ at an end.

Stu
Participant
@stu

I have had been involved with conversations at work when people have slagged off people with tattoos stating they are uneducated yobs etc – not realising that I am an ‘uneducated yob with tattoos’ oh yeah I have more qualifications than most of them put together – I know this as have thier CV’s as I’m thier boss (12 gsce’s, 4 Alevels and 2 degrees). I let them run for a while before pointing out I had them……soon stopped thier conversation – even more on an activity day where we were out of the suits and in climbing equipment. ๐Ÿ˜€ Needless to say the latest employees do have tattoos as I can’t risk people being self centred and negative against any person as what else are they turning thier noses up at…….and potentionally costing me money!

Grin n Wear It
Participant
@grin-n-wear-it
Quote:
as what else are they turning thier noses up at…….and potentionally costing me money!

Good point, if they are already exposing their prejudices and lack of judgment regarding tattoos, what other areas does this failures of character stretch too, race, colour, home district etc?
Love to have seen the expression on their faces when you as their boss, revealed to them that you wore tats too! Now that would be one for the photo album eh? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Stu
Participant
@stu
Grin n Wear It;57252 wrote:
Good point, if they are already exposing their prejudices and lack of judgment regarding tattoos, what other areas does this failures of character stretch too, race, colour, home district etc?
Love to have seen the expression on their faces when you as their boss, revealed to them that you wore tats too! Now that would be one for the photo album eh? ๐Ÿ˜‰

It was a picture ๐Ÿ˜€ They kinda didn’t know what to do/ say or cover thier embarrasement ๐Ÿ˜€ Of course I made the most of it and pointed out thier reviews coming up – must say thier work efforts improved afterwards and each and everyone had the predudice part mentioned in thier written reviews! Think they have learnt what to slag off especially when it covers their former royal marine boss :p

Grin n Wear It
Participant
@grin-n-wear-it

As the good book says…be slow to talk and quick to listen. Bet they’ll think twice before they go blurting out they prejudices before you in the furture eh?
I learned a good lesson many years ago, not to judge anyone by their looks. I boxed a guy at Yarmouth, took one look at the skinny wretched and thought ‘this’ll be fun’. He gave me the hiding of my life! Totally our classed and out boxed me…never forget that lesson ๐Ÿ™‚
We live n learn eh?

Stu
Participant
@stu
Grin n Wear It;57265 wrote:
As the good book says…be slow to talk and quick to listen. Bet they’ll think twice before they go blurting out they prejudices before you in the furture eh?
I learned a good lesson many years ago, not to judge anyone by their looks. I boxed a guy at Yarmouth, took one look at the skinny wretched and thought ‘this’ll be fun’. He gave me the hiding of my life! Totally our classed and out boxed me…never forget that lesson ๐Ÿ™‚
We live n learn eh?

Its always the smallest you need to look out for lol learnt that too in competition matial arts – never done boxing but karate, bushido, ju-jitsu and akido over the years.

It did swing in my favor a few times as I alsways take customers by face value and attitudes (working in sales people try to put on this buyer attitude lol …..it don’t work) – I used to supply all the travellers for vehicles in one area – why because I was the only person who spoke to them when they were looking snubbed everywhere else

also by dealing with a scruffy looking man in a previous job he wanted to hire a drill and few other bits so I sorted him out while having a laugh and next thing he’s back on the phone – dreading taking the call incase something had happened and turns out he was a purchasing director for a building contractor and wanted a no bullshit supplier and was doing his research – I won the contract without knowing consiquently the best earning year I’ve ever had due to them

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 82 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.