Grin n Wear It
Participant
@grin-n-wear-it

As the webmaster of Grin n Wear It I’m trying to understand more about tattoos. Don’t have any myself but as I’m trying to push the site I need to get my head around them more and the people who have them.

Hard to talk to the crew at the Studio…if their not tattooing their jamming, if their not jamming their playing at a gig, if not that then at a convention or something. Anyway, they’re artists and when I talk to them it isn’t the same, it’s mostly those who pay for tats I’d like to understand more, especially…in this post those who wear them regarding the club scene as it seems to be a newer area that tattoos have moved into.

Would I be right in saying that Tats n piercings are playing a greater part in the clubs. What I mean is… are people who hit that kind of night life wearing them more and more nowadays? Never used to be like that in my day (I’m 47) but seems more the rage today, why is that?

1) Maybe it’s because tattoos look more like works of art today than a sailors old style tattoo?
2) Maybe it is because women wear them more?
3) Why do women wear them more today anyway, because of point 1?

I’m thinking most of the changes are because of the fact that tattoos are that much better now, or am I missing something? Any input would be greatly appreciated….I know nothing! As manwell would say.

Joker1
Participant
@joker1

Well, tattoos are becoming more and more socially acceptable nowadays, so you’ll see them more and more wherever you go.
As for the local nightlife where I am, there’s a bit of art on show, and 98% of it is crap. Whether it be unimaginative tribal, crap designs executed poorly, or some try-hard with something stupid tattooed on the side of his neck to try and look hard.
Whoa, bit of a rant there :p
As for women getting tattooed, they’re more liberated than back in the 50’s and with better art available, why shouldn’t they express themselves through body art?
🙂

Grin n Wear It
Participant
@grin-n-wear-it

Thanks for the info Joke1

As I see it…looking back. Tattoos very much used to be limited to Bikers etc… but now it has branced off to almost every area in life. I’m just trying to sus-out where, if you like…the market is going. Clubs…although not exactly new to tattoos…seems to be breaking new ground and bringing more previously untouched groups into the sphere of tattoos and piercing.
I guess, one thing that drives tats are celebrities but then, why are they now getting into it more? It is hard to sus-out where it is going…where the new markets are? Where tattoo design is heading…anyway, that’s why I’m here. If I can’t find it here where will I eh?

ArniVidar
@arnividar

I think the simple answer to ‘where are the new markets?’ will have to be EVERYWHERE. Although I abhor fashion in every manifestation I do notice that tattoos seem to be more ‘in’ these days. And for everyone. 80 year old grandmothers and 15 year old boys are getting inked. I guess for many of them, it’s all a matter of being cool and staying ‘hip’, whereas the more serious tattoo enthusiasts are in it to express something.

I don’t really know how I got into tattoos, but I guess outside influence must have given me the spark. I must have seen enough really cool tattoos to decide that I wanted one (or many). I was always relatively sheltered and lived in a small town with a pretty small tattoo scene so I wasn’t around tattoos for the first 20-25 years. Once I discovered tattoos, however, I found that I really liked the artform and that I wanted to express myself through (other people’s) designs on my body.

We all need to express things in our lives, and although I play instruments and sing, in general I am a poor artist. So I get good artists to create good artwork which I then put in my body. This is my really loud but silent expression 🙂

I draw squares and straight line for a living, and I wear a suit (no tie) to work. As I picture it, I will end up being heavily tattooed but nobody will ever see it at work. I never go clubbing so you wouldn’t see my tats there, and in general the tats are first and foremost intended for me and myself. The only people really who will notice the works besides myself, will be my gf/wife and all the people at the local swimming pool. 🙂
My point is that when I walk down the street and you see me, you will think I am just a standard uninteresting stiff, and in no way your ‘market’ audience. However, you’ll be dead wrong 😉

Grin n Wear It
Participant
@grin-n-wear-it

Never thought about people having tattoos that are not seen, I thought the whole Idea was that they were. Guess if you moved into another career though, that could change.
I guess you are right though, tattoos are now spreading throughout all of society…maybe I should be concentratingmore on styles. But I’ve still gotta a thing about clubs being a good source of newbies or where to get studios noticed.

ArniVidar
@arnividar
Grin n Wear It;55966 wrote:
I’ve still gotta a thing about clubs being a good source of newbies or where to get studios noticed.

Yeah, I think the clubbing scene should be good to advertise and get the ‘hip’ crowd interested. Get hot chicks to wear cool ink, and all will watch and want some. (ink.. of course ;))

Blue1
Participant
@blue1

I got in to tattoos due to rebellion (on the first one) but then as I started getting the “itch” I started putting the ideas that where in my head onto paper, taking them to one of my dearest friends and having her bring it to life on me. Every one of my tattoos mean something to me. And altho I don’t show them off on purpose…I’m not goin to hide them either. They are a part of me and my history.

Here, A lot of the younger crowd (We have an AF base) that I see today to will just pick something off the wall (which is fine for them) and get inked by some idiot that really has no business with a needle….they do it b/c its “cool” atm and then regret it right along with the hang over they get the next day. The don’t take time to do the research or pick a qualified, talented artist. It’s really disturbing.

But in my neck of the woods, being a woman, they are still pretty much frowned upon in the general public. As for the clubs? I have no idea since I’m not a hopper.

Grin n Wear It
Participant
@grin-n-wear-it
ArniVidar;55972 wrote:
Yeah, I think the clubbing scene should be good to advertise and get the ‘hip’ crowd interested. Get hot chicks to wear cool ink, and all will watch and want some. (ink.. of course ;))

You’re reading my mind…

Grin n Wear It
Participant
@grin-n-wear-it
Blue1;55973 wrote:
I got in to tattoos due to rebellion (on the first one) but then as I started getting the “itch” I started putting the ideas that where in my head onto paper, taking them to one of my dearest friends and having her bring it to life on me. Every one of my tattoos mean something to me. And altho I don’t show them off on purpose…I’m not goin to hide them either. They are a part of me and my history.

Here, A lot of the younger crowd (We have an AF base) that I see today to will just pick something off the wall (which is fine for them) and get inked by some idiot that really has no business with a needle….they do it b/c its “cool” atm and then regret it right along with the hang over they get the next day. The don’t take time to do the research or pick a qualified, talented artist. It’s really disturbing.

But in my neck of the woods, being a woman, they are still pretty much frowned upon in the general public. As for the clubs? I have no idea since I’m not a hopper.

Thanks blue1.
What you’re saying was confirmed by the Artist’s at Grin n Wear it, people often really want to say something, even need people to know who they are and how the feel. A tattoo is a really good way of doing taht and, in a way…everyone who sees you has to listen. I guess sometimes by drawing or choosing a design you may even learn a bit about yourself…what it is you’re after, feel or need from others?

Regarding bad tattoos… plugging the studio a bit, the guys (and gals) down the shop say that they’ll refuse to tattoo someone if it will lower the standard of the shop or they believe the person will soon regret it. Mainly because unhappy customers will end-up giving them a bad rep, which isn’t good in the long run even if you do make a few quid short. They deal with allot of service men n women being near Mildenhall, Feltwell and Lakenheath…all massive US Bases.

miss_ivy
Participant
@miss_ivy

Im 21 and not been clubbing in almost 2 years now so its not always linked to that scene I dont think Ive ever seen someone with a lot of tats having them all on display in a nightclub either…just one or two.

I think women have them more now because they are more easily available than they were orginally when it was only saliors etc who had them. They are also more socially acceptable for women to have some people have become more tolerant. x

Grin n Wear It
Participant
@grin-n-wear-it

Good points miss Ivy…
True not all who wear tats are at the club scene but I’ve just got the idea that it is a ggod place for a good studio to get noticed. If there is anywhere people want to look good it’s at the club, and if you’re a good artist as the team at Grin n Wear it are, it is a good place to be talked about.

miss_ivy
Participant
@miss_ivy

Definatly would be a good place to be noticed but some clubs are more likely to be popular with those with tats than others if that makes sense. Although I guess it also depends on who you want as clients as to where you advertise. x

Grin n Wear It
Participant
@grin-n-wear-it

Regarding types of clubs…makes sense what you’re sayimg miss Ivy…however, out in the sticks here you’d just have to hit all the local clubs I guess.
Cambridge might be the furthest to travel, Newmarket…much nearer. I’m not sure just how far ‘most’ would travel for a good tattoo. I know serious people will go the extra mile but generally…I’m not sure.

miss_ivy
Participant
@miss_ivy

I travel 100 miles at the moment for mine but thats only because hes done all bar 2 of mine. x

Grin n Wear It
Participant
@grin-n-wear-it

That is keen…but is that common? I’ll have to ask the grew at ‘Grin n Wear It’, never thought to ask them that one…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 82 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.