dennisv
Participant
@dennisv

It’s always their loss. ๐Ÿ™‚

taffupatree
Participant
@taffupatree

I live in the uk.work as an aborist(tree climber) i have never had a problem having visable work showing.currently have two full sleeves,neck and hand work. If anything i find it acts as a good talking point/ice breaker with customers. They give me a funny look sometimes but as soon as i can show i know what i’m talking about there soon forgotten.

Naomi
Participant
@naomi

Hi I apologise if this is in the wrong place but I cant seem to work out how to post. Admins feel free to move this if necessary. I just have a question and was hoping to get as many answers as possible to it?

Basically, if you were to get a tattoo, would you want an individual one or would you share one with another person, or more people. so say five of you had separate pieces and when you got together you could make a whole. It could be a family thing. Would you get just lines? Or an actual picture with shading and colours? I really want to know whether it would mean more to be part of a shared piece of art which might not look so rational by itself but it would be like you were all carrying something with you? what do people think?

roie
Participant
@roie

I think we can summarize: small places accept tattoos whereas large corporations generally discourage visible tattoos?

MNInk
Participant
@mnink

Unfortunately many companies have no visible tattoo policies, especially in the corporate world. It used to bother me, but now I just cover up. (especially in this economy, I need a paycheck) I found some really great tattoo cover sleeves, super comfortable and they slip right on. They’re from http://www.tat2x.com if you want to check them out or you could use makeup Dermablend is a good brand.

There are companies that are cool with tattoos, if you’re looking to work in retail, check out: Banana Republic, Barnes & Noble, Best Buy, Gap and Kohls.

Good luck in your job searchand I think its cool that you stood up for what you believe in.

PandorasJar
Participant
@pandorasjar

Agreed with Roie.
Large companies don’t have the time to bother with individuals, this isn’t just contained to tattoos. Age, education, gender, religion, ethnicity etc

I must admit to being surprised at American Eagle though, I’ve found that lots of fashion stores here (UK) often have staff with tattoos. Alongside lots of models now cropping up with them.
Even with Chanel releasing fake tattoos as part of their brand.

I’ll always stick to the collar and cuffs rule though. If necessary I’ll be able to hide any tattoos with a shirt.

taffupatree
Participant
@taffupatree

Theres also quite a big chain of alternative clothing/piercing stores in uk-wnt say the name on here that actually encourage ppl wit tatts piercings. Staff actually get a discount on em!

jyrva
Participant
@jyrva

I think this is matter of time. I bet that after 20 years there is President of US also tattooed ๐Ÿ™‚

jmechlin
Participant
@jmechlin
jyrva;77031 wrote:
I think this is matter of time. I bet that after 20 years there is President of US also tattooed ๐Ÿ™‚

not a chance in hell it would be visible if they did have one

Paintchips
@

This is why I’ve always told myself that I would never want a job that diddent accept anything about me, tattoo’s included

TooManyNotEnough
Participant
@toomanynotenough

That is insane that people still won’t hire others due to tattoos. Are they visible tattoos? Check this out:
http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/tattooforum/threads/16-Visual-tattoo-opinions….?highlight=visible+tattoos

OnTheSkin
@
Ddenzik;64300 wrote:
So I recently applied for a job at American Eagle. For those of you who don’t know what that is, its a clothing store that is in most major malls. I had the interview and they said I did great but they couldn’t hire me because of my showing tattoos. I was just shocked that a place like that would discriminate against tattoos. So my response was ” thank you, I don’t want to work somewhere that discriminates against people with tattoos anyways.”

Has anyone else had problems like this before?

Hi Guys and Girls,
I know this is totally off the subject but ive just registered and am looking for ways of how to start a new thread? it might be staring straight in the face but i can not see it for love nor money.
Ps. The subject would be regarding scottish tartain on your skin.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

At the very top, where you found the Reply button in this thread, you will find a New button when not in a thread. Do what you did last time, only hit the correct button ๐Ÿ˜‰

bodyinktube
Participant
@bodyinktube

I haven’t experienced this myself but a friend of mine has before. He has a NZ Ta Moko tattoo along his forearm. He was working prior to getting the tattoo, his job didn’t like it and they eventually fired him. His Ta Moko was of his family crest (something to wear with honor and pride). Mind you he wasn’t terribly hurt by the situation lol, but it’s a shame that such discrimination still overshadows the display of tattoos. In a sense, I kinda hope this happens to me so I can throw it in the bosses face harder hehe! ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers
James

HELLFIRE1972
Participant
@hellfire1972

I found this thread very interesting and insightful in some ways, in others ways its the same old thing….

I think the thing to remember is that acceptance will vary from one place to another even in similar companies. I know of one grocery store in town here that will not allow them to be seen at all, in the other one, many cashiers have them and I have had conversations with the people while in line. I think you’ll find that type of acceptance and non-acceptance everywhere, but as someone said earlier, acceptance is becoming more and more of the norm.

Here is what drew me to this thread….. I get my first tat in 2 days. It is a flaming pheonix that will have it’s head at the top of my shoulder with the wings coming around the front and back of my shoulder and the tips resting on top. The tail will need to stop at T-shirt length so that it can be easily covered. I am a pastor of a church which still has alot of tradtionally minded people in it. If they knew I was getting inked, there would be people fainting in the pews. There are plenty others however, who accept it and have no problem with it. Again, varies greatly no matter where you are. I guess if you are job concerned, it’s best to cover them and if they get discovered later, then they do… unless they are upfront and ask you about them, I see no reason to give them an excuse to blackball you. Let them get to know you first, see that you can perform and do the work above and beyond, and maybe that will help change their minds and attitudes toward it.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 270 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.