Slappy13
Participant
@slappy13
ryannnnn;65014 wrote:
I wholeheartedly agree. tattoos are becoming part of the norm.

I take that as kind of a good thing in a way but a bad thing in a way also.

Aussie_Al
Participant
@aussie_al

very true – as soon as Miami Ink was on the air here in the USA I would be stopped by regular people eager to engage in conversations about good quality tattoos etc

mikey_ink
Participant
@mikey_ink

Of course you’re gonna get “discrimination” but since it’s usually printed out as part of the application process while hunting for a job with most companies, it’s not discrimination anymore but becomes policy, which is different. “Policy” covers a companies ass.

This is why I own my own business’s. 🙂

Benjaminho
Participant
@benjaminho

Yesterday i went into the new Apple store (iphones etc etc) its a new superhugemassiveAPPLE store in newcastle and im not playing around when i say EVERY employee had visible tatts, one guy had 2 full sleeves and nose rings IN – apple is cool =]

AND MODERN!

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

American eagle wants to protect their image so that mommy feels comfortable spending her money at their store.

Look, we live in a judgmental world. We are judged every day based on how we look and we judge every day on how other people look. It’s part of our life. We all made a choice to mark our bodies with ink and we all have to live with the fact that 75% of america is probably going to assume that we are ex-cons because of it. These establishments don’t give a flying rats ass whether you have “Fuck you” tattooed to your forehead or not; they care about the bottom line. In their opinion, having people with tattoos will affect that line and they don’t want that to happen.

I’m inked, and I’m getting more ink in 2 weeks. I have made my choices knowing that I’m limiting myself in some ways for what I love. We all need to accept the fact that we are judged and act accordingly in our lives. You don’t give a shit? That’s fine, I don’t really give a shit about it either, but we should expect to be turned down from some places/jobs. It’s part of our lives now and we need to own that choice.

Sorry, I’m not trying to be all parental and everything, it’s just like when I was a teenager with a mohawk and chains all over my clothes with a bumper stick on the back of my car that said “D.A.R.E. to think for yourself”. I got pulled over ALL THE TIME. Why? Because I looked like what the police believed to be what a criminal looked like and they judged accordingly.

Anyway, I just thought I’d throw my .02 out there. Let the self righteous shit storm begin.

Benjaminho
Participant
@benjaminho

To be fair, england is much more tolerant than america, ive worked at 4 places, (shops as im in college studying too) and ive never even been asked if i have tattoo’s – america sounds much more harsh, id say half the people i know have tattoo’s.

Aussie_Al
Participant
@aussie_al
Gsouder;66241 wrote:
Sorry, I’m not trying to be all parental and everything, it’s just like when I was a teenager with a mohawk and chains all over my clothes with a bumper stick on the back of my car that said “D.A.R.E. to think for yourself”. I got pulled over ALL THE TIME. .

Haha thats awesome

I read some article once about how some band that toured America deliberately had all “praise jesus” and stickers like that on the back so they would not get pulled over by the cops, esp in the deep souith

GlennWills
Participant
@glennwills

I work as a manager for Game Stop. Company policy allows for earrings, tongue rings, and visible tattoos are ok so long as they aren’t offensive. I’ve got dual sleeves, throat, and left hand done. I never wear long sleeves and no one cares. The regional director of the company came in and they didn’t even care. So I will give the company props for it’s tolerance of tattooing.

But yeah, I got my tattoos in very visible places that aren’t coverable. Yes it limits my job options. But i’ve found how good you are at your job will get you more slack. If you are good and they need/want you, you’re more likely to get a “pass” on the tattoos.

ArniVidar
@arnividar
GlennWills;66535 wrote:
Yes it limits my job options. But i’ve found how good you are at your job will get you more slack. If you are good and they need/want you, you’re more likely to get a “pass” on the tattoos.

This may be true, but the big problem is actually getting in the door to prove your worth, if the person who’s hiring is a bigot 🙂

GlennWills
Participant
@glennwills
ArniVidar;66545 wrote:
This may be true, but the big problem is actually getting in the door to prove your worth, if the person who’s hiring is a bigot 🙂

That’s a valid counter-argument. But if you’ve got the resume or specific job skills that aren’t easily replaceable…. eh you’re still good. But yeah initially you are kinda screwed if the HR guy hates tattoos.

alyssaswoon
Participant
@alyssaswoon

my boss doesn’t care about my piercings or tattoos, he just cares that i’m a good worker. i work at a locally owned pet store so my boss makes the rules there, and he told me one of his big rules is not to judge a book by it’s cover and a qualified worker is a qualified worker no matter what he/she looks like. i love my boss, hahaha.

he loves my tattoos and piercings and asks me about them all the time because he finds them so interesting, it’s awesome. around here tattoos are pretty common among most minimum wage jobs. i find the more discrimination comes with piercings than tattoos. i’ve been turned down from 4 jobs because of my piercings, i haven’t had a comment made about my tattoos in an interview yet.

shaun777
Participant
@shaun777

Do you think the taatoo of the world with a neon green ocean and dark blue conntinents with (In GOD We Trust) in black script over the green ocean in the middle of the world is a good idea

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder
alyssaswoon;70643 wrote:
my boss doesn’t care about my piercings or tattoos, he just cares that i’m a good worker. i work at a locally owned pet store so my boss makes the rules there, and he told me one of his big rules is not to judge a book by it’s cover and a qualified worker is a qualified worker no matter what he/she looks like. i love my boss, hahaha.

he loves my tattoos and piercings and asks me about them all the time because he finds them so interesting, it’s awesome. around here tattoos are pretty common among most minimum wage jobs. i find the more discrimination comes with piercings than tattoos. i’ve been turned down from 4 jobs because of my piercings, i haven’t had a comment made about my tattoos in an interview yet.

***I’m only playing devils advocate here***

This is a great example of a permanent decision based on temporary circumstance. What are you going to do in 10 years when you want a career that you deserve and have earned but you are passed over due to your looks? Maybe you won’t actually get to the point that it matters… but Myself and most of my friends thought the same thing when we were younger as well. Things change in life and making choices like splitting your tongue or getting tattoos on your neck and face can really affect you possibilities in the future.

I’m not saying that you in particular have made any bad choices- you never said but you might own this pet store or maybe it’s your dream to own a pet store or just work at one while you pursue whatever it is that is your passion. What I am saying is that there are a lot of people that make choices without thinking them all the way through.

The fact of the matter is that even though you might be very smart and super qualified you could very well be passed over for funding for your new pet store based on how you look. It’s not fair, it’s not right but it happens every day to every one. The more you do to your face and your hands the more ammo you give to people to discriminate against you.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m getting a full sleeve myself- it’s in progress. I just worry about people making choices based on where they are today and how those choices will affect them in the future.

Just my .02

roie
Participant
@roie

Here is Israel, almost no office work is open to people with visible tattoos. I used to work for an insurance comnay and had to wear long sleeves all year long, and it gets VERY hot in the summer

Mountain_Man
Participant
@mountain_man

I think it also has to do where you live. I moved from Colorado where I only ran into this issue with one company, to Houston TX where I cant get hired on as a dishwasher or at a car wash let alone in the construction business that Im use to doing, but I have seen them on the job sites just not as extensive as I am I guess. But what really chaps my ass is the US military uses the rubber band test where they place it on your wrist and if your ink goes past that band your not accepted, so if Im cleared to fight for my country inked to the hilt why cant I work in my country?? Hate this republican state cant wait to get back to my mountains!!

Oh ya second note cant get a job in Houston but I can count 20 tattoo shops with in 10 minutes of my house WTF!!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 270 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.