jimmymac
Participant
@jimmymac

Hello everyone.

I recently got a large tattoo on my upper arm, it had been in the pipeline for months but after it was finished i have come to realise that it really isn’t me- it doesn’t suit my personality or who i am and i am really keen to cover it up.

As you’l see in the picture its a big fresh piece with lots of dense line work so will require a lot of laser treatments before covering it could be imagined. I have realised that i should have listened to my gut instinct in the first place and gone with the old school sailor jerry Americana that i love rather than trying to be all arty and original.

So my question is really, do you think the cover up will be possible? I was thinking I may need as many as 20 laser treatments over 2 years to provide the best canvas for a new piece? (i don’t want to rush it and come out with something where the old piece/ style is still visible). And do you think that i will still be able to keep the cover up black and grey as i would much prefer it colour I think.

Heres some pics of what i’ve got and the style i’l be aiming for eventually…i know its a big project and a long road but any advice or comments would be so much appreciated!

(finally a massive thank you to cornishtiger whose advice and encouragement via email has been a huge huge help)

http://s1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg563/jimmymac1950/

jimmymac
Participant
@jimmymac

Sorry, just to clarify I meant i’d prefer to keep it black and grey. And it can’t go below the elbow for work reasons.

thanks again

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Photoon2012-01-28at0020.jpg

Well, if you get it lasered then I don’t see why you shouldn’t be able to do a cover-up. Traditional is very sharp, very thick, very bold and very colorful, so I’d think it was more or less perfect as a cover-up medium IF you’ve gotten rid of all of that.. whatever it is.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

Go for it. That tattoo really needs to be covered up so whatever needs to be done, do it.

Dipland
Participant
@dipland

Seriously, what is it supposed to be? I think I see a table and flowers coming out of what is probably a vase, and a bottle of ketchup (jk, I assume it’s wine).

Was this done in a shop or someone’s house??

After looking again, please tell me it’s not a dinner tray, and that is supposed to be a hand at the bottom right of your picture.

jimmymac
Participant
@jimmymac

Yeh i mean I know its turned out bad…the angle of the picture makes it look even worse. Its supposed to be a wine bottle, a vase and a hand holding a glass. Its based on a poem by Ernest Dowson and the line ‘They are not long the days of wine and roses’.

It was supposed to be in a cubist style but its really turned out awfully. Thanks very much for the input, do you think I would need to completely clear the image or would say 10 laser treatments over a year be sufficient. Also I’d preffer to keep the cover up black and grey…will this make it harder do you think?

Again many thanks for your help

James

jimmymac
Participant
@jimmymac

And no, it was done at the Family Business…one of london’s premier tattoo shop’s. The artist is a guy called noon who is actually in very high demand (hard to believe i know, looking at this!)

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
jimmymac;106282 wrote:
And no, it was done at the Family Business…one of london’s premier tattoo shop’s. The artist is a guy called noon who is actually in very high demand (hard to believe i know, looking at this!)

I checked out his portfolio and can’t say that I’m a fan, but the work looks cleanly done anyway. At least the stick figure on the lady’s back isn’t yours.

Adler
Participant
@adler
jimmymac;106282 wrote:

I’ve heard a lot about Family Business but mainly Mo and XAM. XAM is an amazing (neo) traditional artist in my opinion, I’m not familiar with Noon though. His portfolio looks decent but I don’t like what he did on you.

jimmymac
Participant
@jimmymac

Yep, it all has just turned out very badly…but do you think that a cover up will be possible with enough laser treatments? I was thinking 10 over a year or so?

Adler
Participant
@adler
jimmymac;106288 wrote:
Yep, it all has just turned out very badly…but do you think that a cover up will be possible with enough laser treatments? I was thinking 10 over a year or so?

I don’t know enough about laser removal to accurately answer. There is a member named Cornishtiger who can answer if he chimes in.

ArniVidar
@arnividar
Adler;106290 wrote:
There is a member named Cornishtiger who can answer if he chimes in.

He has already discussed all of this with Cornish, which is why I don’t quite understand this thread.

Adler
Participant
@adler
ArniVidar;106291 wrote:
He has already discussed all of this with Cornish, which is why I don’t quite understand this thread.

Oh, I wasn’t aware of that.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Says so, right up in the OP ^_^ 🙂

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

IF you wanted to go full color, you would be able to cover this up without laser sessions with THE RIGHT artist. with laser sessions, it all depends on how well the sessions work to fade the black. if the laser sessions work, then you should also have no problem covering it up with b/g.

and family biz is a legit shop. i think this was just poor concept, not the artists fault.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.