jimmymac
Participant
    @jimmymac

Hello everyone.

I recently got a large tattoo on my upper arm, it had been in the pipeline for months but after it was finished i have come to realise that it really isn’t me- it doesn’t suit my personality or who i am and i am really keen to cover it up.

As you’l see in the picture its a big fresh piece with lots of dense line work so will require a lot of laser treatments before covering it could be imagined. I have realised that i should have listened to my gut instinct in the first place and gone with the old school sailor jerry Americana that i love rather than trying to be all arty and original.

So my question is really, do you think the cover up will be possible? I was thinking I may need as many as 20 laser treatments over 2 years to provide the best canvas for a new piece? (i don’t want to rush it and come out with something where the old piece/ style is still visible). And do you think that i will still be able to keep the cover up black and grey as i would much prefer it colour I think.

Heres some pics of what i’ve got and the style i’l be aiming for eventually…i know its a big project and a long road but any advice or comments would be so much appreciated!

(finally a massive thank you to cornishtiger whose advice and encouragement via email has been a huge huge help)

http://s1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg563/jimmymac1950/

jimmymac
Participant
    @jimmymac

Sorry, just to clarify I meant i’d prefer to keep it black and grey. And it can’t go below the elbow for work reasons.

thanks again

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

Photoon2012-01-28at0020.jpg

Well, if you get it lasered then I don’t see why you shouldn’t be able to do a cover-up. Traditional is very sharp, very thick, very bold and very colorful, so I’d think it was more or less perfect as a cover-up medium IF you’ve gotten rid of all of that.. whatever it is.

test sig
anonymous
Participant
    @anonymous

Go for it. That tattoo really needs to be covered up so whatever needs to be done, do it.

Dipland
Participant
    @dipland

Seriously, what is it supposed to be? I think I see a table and flowers coming out of what is probably a vase, and a bottle of ketchup (jk, I assume it’s wine).

Was this done in a shop or someone’s house??

After looking again, please tell me it’s not a dinner tray, and that is supposed to be a hand at the bottom right of your picture.

jimmymac
Participant
    @jimmymac

Yeh i mean I know its turned out bad…the angle of the picture makes it look even worse. Its supposed to be a wine bottle, a vase and a hand holding a glass. Its based on a poem by Ernest Dowson and the line ‘They are not long the days of wine and roses’.

It was supposed to be in a cubist style but its really turned out awfully. Thanks very much for the input, do you think I would need to completely clear the image or would say 10 laser treatments over a year be sufficient. Also I’d preffer to keep the cover up black and grey…will this make it harder do you think?

Again many thanks for your help

James

jimmymac
Participant
    @jimmymac

And no, it was done at the Family Business…one of london’s premier tattoo shop’s. The artist is a guy called noon who is actually in very high demand (hard to believe i know, looking at this!)

anonymous
Participant
    @anonymous
jimmymac;106282 wrote:
And no, it was done at the Family Business…one of london’s premier tattoo shop’s. The artist is a guy called noon who is actually in very high demand (hard to believe i know, looking at this!)

I checked out his portfolio and can’t say that I’m a fan, but the work looks cleanly done anyway. At least the stick figure on the lady’s back isn’t yours.

Adler
Participant
    @adler
jimmymac;106282 wrote:

I’ve heard a lo