Hells High
Participant
@hells-high

Hey guys,

So I recently got my first tattoo as a sort of graduation present to myself. I’m going away to animation college in the fall and I wanted something to remind me of home; being a big artsy person and having been in love with tattoos for most of my life I decided it was a logical choice.

Anyway, it is now 2 days old and I am onto the lotion treatments. However, I also have to go back to work at my family’s restaurant where I have my hands in hot, soapy, and bleachy water for extended amounts of time.

The tattoo extends from just below the pit of my elbow to just above my wrist. I have a pair of hypo-allergenic rubber gloves that extend a fair bit onto the tattoo, but I am worried about splashing.

I know you are not supposed to cover it up, but I also know you are not supposed to soak it. So, anyone have any recommendations? Am I being too worrisome about the splashing?

Thanks,

Hells High

PS. Here’s my new ink. The artist took my rather oldschool design and put a really newschool twist on it and made it 100x better. :] I’m somewhat of a softie and a rose seemed like a good choice. To commemorate my two brothers and my parents, I got the idea of making the stem go under my skin 4 times. The two banners stand for “Live your life the way you want to, and Love the people in it.”; two of the most important things I think people should do. Cheers!

msmercury
Participant
@msmercury

Hello and welcome to the forum. Your tattoo is beautiful! I, too, would be worried about the splashing, especially harsh chemicals like bleach and so forth when your tattoo is still healing. Maybe you can find gloves that will cover right up to the elbow. I’m no expert, so you’ll have to wait until the more knowledgeable people weigh in. I’m very, very protective of my tattoo and when it was new, I was a little anal about it. I hope everything works out for you and good luck in school! 🙂

Amok
Participant
@amok

You need to keep dirty dishwasher off your new tattoo for at least 10 days, preferably more.

You could wrap your arm in cling-wrap and use tape on your wrist an elbow to prevent any water leaking in there. I would also wear your dishwashing gloves.

Its true you’re not supposed to wrap it as leaving it unwrapped allows it to dry and heal, but its better to wrap it for a few hours per day than get filthy water on it. Just unwrap it when you’re not washing dishes and you should be ok.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

You will need to keep it dry. I can’t think of anything worse then some bleach water on it. they make gloves that go all the way to your arm pits if I were you I would invest in a set of those.

Hells High
Participant
@hells-high

Thanks guys, and yeah my shifts are only for 2-3 hours max. Should I put some moisturizer on it underneath the protection or keep it dry?

imperial1904
Participant
@imperial1904

Can you wash dishes one handed??

Since it’s your family’s restaurant, couldn’t they give you some time off while it heals?

Hells High
Participant
@hells-high
imperial1904;89501 wrote:
Can you wash dishes one handed??

Since it’s your family’s restaurant, couldn’t they give you some time off while it heals?

Need money for college friend. :/

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.