jweb
Participant
@jweb

okay whatup forum, my first post here. got my first(and currently only) tattoo a year ago, tribal sun design about the size of the palm of my hand on my shoulder cap.

now summers coming around, going to be leaving college in 2 weeks and i am DYING to get my second.

i have several questions about my primary idea if you would all bear with me

my fave idea currently that ive wanted for a while is a tattoo of Michelangelos statue of david going down my side. yeah i know ribcage, ouch. i wont bore you with why i want it exactly but there are plenty of reasons, most of them obvious, i mean its a legendary sculpture!

a question ive been asking myself is do i want to get a fig leaf thing covering his junk or just let that little peepee hang out lol?

sounds silly but its a real concern for me. i work with kids during the summer (8-9 year olds) and im not sure how mature they would be around a tattoo of his wiener lol i mean its bad enough for a heterosexual 19 year old guy to be getting a naked man inked onto his skin but do i really want his privates to be so… visible? i know theyre understated and artistic and all but its still obvious.

umm so yeah the fig leaf idea would fix that BUT doesnt that sort of go against everything thats cool about tattoos and art in general? like its like censorship… idk ide LOVE to hear everyones opinion about this.

for size im thinking of like from an inch or two below my nipple to about level with my belly button, so yeah lots of ink. not sure how much that would cost either if any more experienced people could estimate that for me, i was thinking like what 500? i dont know.

thankksssss

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Michelangelos_David.jpg

Jlin
Participant
@jlin

Interesting tattoo choice!

About the junk problem, personally I’d go for it because as you said, anything else wouldn’t be true to the art.

Let me ask a few questions about your job though:
Are you usually shirtless? Since you said that you want the tattoo on your ribs, any t shirt, even a tank top would easily cover it, so maybe that’s an option?

You said you are finishing college, will you be working in the same position afterwards? Or is this only a “summer thing”? If it’s the former, have you mentioned it to your boss at all? If this is something that you dedicate your life to it would be good to make sure that it won’t put you out of a job! If its just a summer job, I’d go for it, because in most other jobs you will have it covered at all times anyways.

I’m sure you will get some more opinions, that’s just my 2 cents.

Let us know what you decide and post a pic once you got it please ๐Ÿ™‚

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

The simplest answer is when working with kids get a waterproof elastoplast (band-aid) over it.

Personally I don’t see an issue as it is a sculpture and nothing hardcore but that said if they are really young kids their parents might be of a conservative slant.

If you put a plaster over it nobody can say you are being deliberately offensive but can ahve the ink you want when not working with kids.

Take Care
Matthew

jweb
Participant
@jweb

thanks for the advice guys, the working with kids thing is a summer job but it is one i do every summer since i was 15 and i will continue to do it until i am out of college, 3 more summers. thats not the biggest issue though, the real thing is like is it a good idea to have the penis tattooed in the first place? ide like to keep the ridicule to a minimum lol

just wanted to hear peoples perceptions of the piece with and without a fig leaf and how it will be perceived.

-DMD-
Participant
@dmd

I think you should not tattoo the penis, why won’t you just “cut it off”? xD
I mean let there be nothing, just plain old nothing. Haha

This should work better than adding a leaf or tattooing a penis on your ribcage. =]

jweb
Participant
@jweb

haha come on DMD that would be silly, very untrue to the real life sculpture! plus it would turn david from an old testament hero and pillar of masculinity into an androgynous freak!

-DMD-
Participant
@dmd

Hey, we all have to make sacrifices. Haha

Jlin
Participant
@jlin
jweb;66725 wrote:
thanks for the advice guys, the working with kids thing is a summer job but it is one i do every summer since i was 15 and i will continue to do it until i am out of college, 3 more summers. thats not the biggest issue though, the real thing is like is it a good idea to have the penis tattooed in the first place? ide like to keep the ridicule to a minimum lol

just wanted to hear peoples perceptions of the piece with and without a fig leaf and how it will be perceived.

Well in that case I think Sherav had a good suggestion with the Band Aid, none of the kids ever needs to know!

Personally I wouldn’t ridicule you for getting the penis tattooed, I would find a fig leaf to be a lot stranger and might rather make a comment about that ๐Ÿ˜€ However, unless you walk around shirtless a lot, not many people will see it unless you show it to them deliberately, so I wouldn’t worry about it too much. They may say something the first time but if they’re your friends I doubt that they’d make it a constant monicker :confused:

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

The David statue is world recognised.

If you do get a penis tattooed I don’t see the big deal – it is part of the sculpture and has nothing to do with your sexuality or perceived sexuality.

If you want me to be honest you will get some stick for having a muscular man tattooed on your ribs with or without his cock.

As long as you are able to put up with that then I say go true to the sculpture because the fig leaf thing does not sound a good option.

Take Care
Matthew

jweb
Participant
@jweb

hmmm maybe ill hold off on this tattoo for now. not that i really want to be influenced by what others may think but i wanted to be able to show it off a lot without any possible shame. perhaps ill come back to this idea when im more mature and older. it is really cool just cause its such an iconic image and instantly recognizable and meaningful but still like NO ONE has it for a tattoo

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

I say junk too. In for an inch, in for a mile. If the parents take issue with fine art they can suck it, lol

fa3d3
Participant
@fa3d3

Hi there

Just an oppinion..

A tatto is something you put on your body forever, and therfor the tatto has to be exatly as you want it, if you want the penis, then you shouldn’t think about the summerjob, you can cover it up somehow if you don’t like the kids to see it ๐Ÿ˜€

Best regards
Frederik

jweb
Participant
@jweb

thanks. but the summer job was just an example of how it would be perceived not my main issue at all. i was thinking more about the big picture.

winged_angel
Participant
@winged_angel

I agree that you should have the penis tattoo’d on.

If Michaelangelo was worried about the consorship thing then he would have put a fig leaf on. The statue is a piece of art and I believe it shouldn’t be altered in any way. I have seen it in life and it is the most amazing thing I’ve seen in a long time.

I think you should go for it.

Let us know your decision and post pics when it’s done

ArniVidar
@arnividar

I’m for keeping it true. I mean.. why get a picture of a world famous statue, and ALTER it? Then you may as well just get something else, because it will not longer be the real deal.

As for the sexuality thing, you WILL get weird looks and odd comments on it from ignorant fools, but if you are authentically proud of your own sexuality (whatever it may be) then you do not need to worry about it. I have a whole sleeve planned which will ‘look extremely gay!” to many people. I don’t care though, since I am very comfortably straight ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.