winged_angel
Participant
@winged_angel

I have been considering getting my tongue done for a while but I’ve only recently started thinking about what the implications of getting it done could be.

I’m a smoker and I want to know if that could affect the healing process/if I can smoke straight after having it done. I also want to know about the whole cleaning/eating thing. If anyone could let me know anything about the tongue piercing I would be grateful cuz I’m not sure about getting it done until I know everything yet.

Cheers ๐Ÿ˜€

DragunRose
Participant
@dragunrose

Well this is my response as a fellow smoker who has their tongue pierced:

Your piercer will (should) advise you not to smoke while healing. For one, smoking does affect our overall ability to heal.

Also, this is going off of my memory and perhaps someone else can elaborate/correct me, but you also should not use a straw during the healing process, and if you use ice to help with the swelling you should not suck on it, just let it dissolve, if memory serves me correctly it is because sucking/inhaling will create pressure on your tongue that can affect the new piercing.

Eating and drinking is really what you can handle. It is suggested that you just eat soft items. I ate a regular meal the day that I got mine done, but I also cut everything into real small pieces and placed it on the side of my mouth and chewed very gently. Soft foods will be a lot easier to eat.

You’ll need to clean after you eat and drink. No kissing, etc during healing!

I smoked after I got mine done, I’m not saying that is the best idea. If you could actually deal without smoking it is the best way to go. But as a smoker myself I know how difficult it can be!

I’ve had my tongue pierced for over 10 years now with no issues.

Hope this helps you some!

winged_angel
Participant
@winged_angel

Thank-you for all of that.

I can imagine that smoking wouldn’t help but I have tried giving up smoking and havn’t suceeded but I suppose I can try again when I get my tongue done. I was told not to smoke after getting my lip done but I had one straight after getting it done (after my boyfriend said that I shouldn’t smoke and preceeded to roll a cigarette for me!)

My piercer is a smoker herself so she’ll probably go out for a cigarette with me before and after haha!

I suppose the best thing for me to do will be to ask my piercer everything about tongue piercings before I get it done….I’m going down next weeks actually because the place where I get it done is also my tattooist.

How long did it take for yours to heal? What did you clean it with and how many times a day did you clean it? Have you got the conventional middle piercing or on both sides?

DragunRose
Participant
@dragunrose

NP

I smoked when I got my labret as well, which I guess I should not have done either. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Hmm, sorry my memory kind of sucks at times and I honestly can’t remember how long it took to heal! But I don’t recall it taking a annoyingly long time.

I used diluted Listerine and just rinsed after eating/drinking. I think some people suggest rinsing after smoking, but I didn’t want to over clean.

Mine is middle. I still love it, I had to take it out a couple of times and felt so freaked out without it in.

Good luck with getting yours done! Are you getting middle or something different?

GlennWills
Participant
@glennwills

Piercing took all of 10 minutes. No pain. Very minor swelling that lasted a few hours, nothing major. Could talk/eat correctly the next day without issue. After about a month I got to take out the stupidly long “while you heal” tongue ring and put in something I liked. Now it’s all kinds of fun and there are several types of, um, sexually relevant tongue ring variations that are very entertaining.

Healing is simple, listerine (dilluted) after you drink, eat, kiss, or anything else. Yeah you’re not supposed to drink alcohol, smoke, kiss, give oral sex ect while you’re healing. But hell I don’t do well with warnings and did all that shit and I’m still good. Worth noting however that an open wound in your mouth is a serious concern if you have ANY REASON AT ALL to question your partners commitment to you while it’s healing.

Otherwise, go for it. Very fun and if you decide you don’t want it later just take it out and no scar to worry about or anything.

winged_angel
Participant
@winged_angel

Thanks for all of that advice guys.

I don’t do well with warning either GlennWills but I will only drink and smoke cuz I hardly ever get to see my partner anyway.

At the moment I’m considering getting it in the centre but I’m starting to think about getting it done either side but I’m leaning more towards the centre. The thing I’m more worried about is work because I work at quite a posh jewellers and a food shop and I’m more worried about how that will go down with the bosses.

You guys don’t know of any retail shops that wouldn’t mind piercings/tattoos?

I think I’m going to think about it a bit more then work it out with work before I get it done….what do you think?

Angellik
Participant
@angellik

I had mine done for some time… I was advised not to smoke drink blah blah blah as well. I did smoke, however i took it “”slow”” and smoked as if i was just starting Ie- took little hits.. i was terrified of messing something up! I ate soft foods- Mashed potatoes/apple sauce ect. Rinse with diluted listerine just as everyone else said.

Some people swell more than others. If you work at a place that might not take liking to the piercing i would suggest that you take some vacation and get it done then giving it time to heal and the swelling to go down so you can speak clearly again.

After the proper amount of time that you can change your barbell there are options of Clear balls to make them not as BOLD and easily seen. Just as with any other piercings there are ways to “hide” it from the professionals.

DragunRose
Participant
@dragunrose
winged_angel;66985 wrote:
Thanks for all of that advice guys.

I don’t do well with warning either GlennWills but I will only drink and smoke cuz I hardly ever get to see my partner anyway.

At the moment I’m considering getting it in the centre but I’m starting to think about getting it done either side but I’m leaning more towards the centre. The thing I’m more worried about is work because I work at quite a posh jewellers and a food shop and I’m more worried about how that will go down with the bosses.

You guys don’t know of any retail shops that wouldn’t mind piercings/tattoos?

I think I’m going to think about it a bit more then work it out with work before I get it done….what do you think?

My only thought about sides is make sure you talk to your piercer about gum erosion and the increased likely hood of damaging a tooth. With a center piercing once you get past the healing stage you can change out to a barbell that will be shorter and decrease the chance of damage. I am not sure about side piercings, so you may want to bring that up with your piercer.

I think if you depend on your paycheck you do need to take your job into consideration. Do you know their policy on piercings? Oddly enough my tongue has never caused an issue with my jobs, it is more my ears (oh well!).

I found this link about jobs that allow piercings, kind of interesting, but use at your own risk: http://www.modifiedmind.com/employline.html

SaraRhiannon
Participant
@sararhiannon

Just got mine done, well “just” as in a week ago.
But from what I know smoking doesnt do anything except irritate the piercing.
And trust me..if you smoke a lot and you have to mouthwash after every dart..Youre gonna hate mouthwash as much as i do, even the smell makes me wanna vom right now.
Cut down for sure if you can but theres no need to stop : D

winged_angel
Participant
@winged_angel

Thanks for the website Dragunrose, however, I couldn’t find Debenhams on there and that’s where I work. I have my lip pierced and they’re ok with that, however, my other job (In-Time watch services) weren’t so. I guess I can just chat to them and see what they think. I was thinking about getting it done in August cuz I’ve just started a summer job at a cafรฉ and my watch repair job ends then so it might be better.

I smoke about 10 cigs a day so I guess I could deal with buying a small thing of mouthwash and I can use it at work and stuff.

I’m hoping to start working at a deaf school in september so I will be learning to sign so speaking wouldn’t be too much of a problem there haha.

I have a friend who’s a dental technician and he has his tongue pierced and he’s given me tips on the bar and stuff I can use to stop dental erosion.

I don’t know what to do with the whole ‘telling the parents thing’ (yes I’m still living with them). They have just found out about a large tattoo I’ve had done and they weren’t too happy about that.

Any more advice would be appreciated guys

ShauniMay
Participant
@shaunimay

Im not sure if you have had your piercing done, since the threat started like…months ago.
What GlennWills said about not drinking alcohol is something i would back up. This is purely because of something my piercer told me. He told me that he pierced a guys tongue, and he went out drinking that night. The next day he showed up at my piercers shop, and his tongue just wouldnt stop bleeding. My piercer had to place his fingers over the top and the bottom hole, while someone else drove them to the hospital.
They advise you not to drink, because alcohol thins the blood, which will stop it clotting. If your tongue piercing begins to bleed (which it does in the first few days) then there is a high risk that it wont stop due to alcohol in the system.
I agree with what got said about the ice pops, just hold it in your mouth as sucking it will irritate the piercing.
Mouthwash without alcohol in it is the best one to use (kids mouthwash doesnt contain alcohol) although if it does contain alcohol it is best to water it down.
Sorry if you have already got it done and this advice wasnt needed ๐Ÿ™‚

Risque
Participant
@risque

As all the others said, try not ot smoke or drink during the healing process, but if you do use a non-alcoholic mouthwash, such as Crest Pro Health. Mouthwash will be your best friend. Also, I had more trouble during the week after I got it done. I couldn’t eat or talk properly. But I know others who could eat solid food the day they got it pierced.
About the work questions, I have been at my job for 8 months and no one knows I have mine pierced! Unless I point it out it’s not very noticeable (unless you get it towards the front of your tongue). There is also the option of getting a retainer.
Good luck! You’ll love it.

winged_angel
Participant
@winged_angel

I finally got it done!
I do have another question though just to make sure everything is ok.
My tongue has swelled up (which I was expecting) but it has also taken on this strange yellow colour…..disgusting I know ๐Ÿ˜› I just want to make sure that this is normal. I am still smoking although I did try giving up the day I got it done. I’m cleaning it regularly with Oraldene and water. Should I switch to another mouthwash or shall I stick with this one?
Next piercing lined up is my scaffold haha.
Cheers guys

ShauniMay
Participant
@shaunimay
winged_angel;75689 wrote:
I finally got it done!
I do have another question though just to make sure everything is ok.
My tongue has swelled up (which I was expecting) but it has also taken on this strange yellow colour…..disgusting I know ๐Ÿ˜› I just want to make sure that this is normal. I am still smoking although I did try giving up the day I got it done. I’m cleaning it regularly with Oraldene and water. Should I switch to another mouthwash or shall I stick with this one?
Next piercing lined up is my scaffold haha.
Cheers guys

Mine done that too, i just gently went around my tongue with a toothbrush while brushing my teeth and it got rid of it. I went to a piercer and he said it was normal.
Also, you get a white bit forming around the holes of the peircing, dont pick it off as it is a sort of scab. It prolongs the healing process if you pick it off ๐Ÿ™‚

winged_angel
Participant
@winged_angel

THanks for that. I just wanted to make sure it was normal but I was 80% sure it was. Yeah, I’ve got a white bit around the bottom of my stud but I thought it would be best to leave it and it’ll go away eventually. Thanks again. I love the piercing and can’t wait to change the bar ๐Ÿ˜€ xx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.