boss-hogg
Participant
@boss-hogg

Hi Guys – concerned dad here- looking for some advice…

My 18 year old son wants his first tattoo….i have NO problem with that (wouldn’t mind one myself honestly). His first one is kinda big – Moari type thing on his shoulder and upper arm. My problem is timing…. we go away to visit california in April (sun/sea/pools etc). He also plays rugby, and he’s got games up until April. He tells me that he can have the first ‘sitting’ done and play rugby the day after. I disagree – i think he should be waiting till after the holiday and after the rugby season finishes (end April). He also told me that that tattoo artist has reseved his spot in March and he can’t change it. Sounds kinda fishy to me…. so, is he OK to play rugby the day after the first sitting, and then going on holiday a week after the tattoo is complete?

Also, does the tatto create a ‘scab’ as in a grazed knee scab… ?

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

he should not play rugby the next day, he should not go on holiday, an accident during the rugby game could leave him marked for life, you cannot get sun on a new tattoo, you cant swim in a pool,

you can talk to your artist and reschedule with this much notice, maybe throw him a tip for his troubles,

there is no rush to put this on, it will last forever, take the time and do it right and all things will turn out much better

tattoo should not scab, he will most likely leave it wrapped 4-6 hours after tattoo work, then remove clear wrap and wash it, let thoroughly air dry, then apply think coat of aftercare (aquaphor, a&d or the like) and each day wash it 4 to 5 times a day, let dry and reapply thinnest coat of aftercare you can,
it will dry out, never scab and peel about the 4th day………..

boss-hogg
Participant
@boss-hogg

Mrchen – thanks for the feedback….

what about the outlining work? I believe that they outline on the first sitting, then fill-in on the next few? Is this correct, and would this have the same concerns….?

bluey
Participant
@bluey

I Agree. The tattoo is very fragile and easily damaged for at least 2 weeks. It shouldn’t be out in the sun for another 10 weeks and preferably treated kindly for some if not al that 10 weeks.
The tattoo will scab slightly (as if the tattoo is coming out). rip the scab off and it will have to re scab with more ink lost it will look very patchy and require a touch up. Large areas touched up can be a problem. When the scab falls off the skin underneath is very new and fragile, but there is no risk of infection so swimming etc is OK.
The body is still dealing with the ink for a number more weeks. Then with exception of long periods of exposure to a hot sun, the tattoo will be no longer a problem and need special care. You shouldn’t be out in a hot sun as the risk of cancer and other health issues is very great tattoo or no tattoo.

Wait until all the holidays and rugby is over for the season. Seeing you wouldn’t mind one why not think about getting one at the same time.

ezrider
Participant
@ezrider

MrChen said it all….playing rugby the next day even after line work would just be setting him up for infection and potential problems with the ink. He should definitely think about postponing the tattoo until after rugby season.

mrchen;107831 wrote:
you cannot get sun on a new tattoo

He will know once he starts getting sun on them, it’s a little uncomfortable to say the least getting sun on a fresh tattoo even for a short period of time.

Kit Piper
Participant
@kit-piper

When I got my most recent tat, my artist told me to *NOT* go back to jiu jitsu class for two weeks. I went to an arial silk class, which I thought would be okay because it wasn’t going to be sweaty and rough. Well, just from my stretching the area too much, the tat scabbed, and it ended up healing kind of patchy. I wish I had held off. I’m sure if I’d gone to jiu jitsu, it would have been ten times worse. I ended up waiting three weeks to go back to jiu jitsu, because at the two week mark, the scabs hadn’t all fallen off yet.

Rugby’s probably closer to jiu jitsu in terms of “rough and sweaty”. If your son doesn’t want to ruin his new tat, he’ll wait at *least* two weeks- more if it’s not _fully_ healed.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

no ink before rugby….not even ine work……….as the last respondent said, something can happen and it will not be good, why risk this just to rush ink…………not worth it

you need one full week off if the ink heals perfectly (peeled real good, no scabs)

more if it isnt healed yet,

no sun EVER, tattoos are destroyed by sun, if you are a sun lover, dont get tattoos, spf 70 will nto save a tattoo, spf 70 and clothes over top is the way to go………..or simply put the ink in a place you dont sun

pool and spas are a no no. spas are bacteria filled pools of who knows what……..not good on an open wound, chlorine is HORRIBLE on new ink, no pool or spa for 6 weeks

I have worked out for 32 years, a couple weeks off isnt going to drop my bench one ounce? why risk permenant disfiguring of my skin?

winged_angel
Participant
@winged_angel

I’d follow what the guys above are saying. He can’t play rugby at all and if the tattooist has told him that he can then I’d tell your son to find another tattoo artist. Alot of places do take deposits but they’re still happy to change the appointment if you need to. Where abouts do you live (which County)? If you live in Devon I’d reccommend going to INK in Exeter because they’re very good and they really take care of you, your ink and the end piece.

I was told not to submerge my tattoo for a minimum of 48 hours and that meant having a bath so swimming would be out of the question until it has fully healed.

If anything I’d tell your son that it would be best to get it done at the end of April/beginning of May when you get back from your holiday as it will give it a chance to heal before the lovely British summertime (haha I know) begins.

He probably wants to have his tattoo for when you go away but if it becomes infected it’ll look terrible and he’ll regret it for the rest of his life

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.