Thomper08
Participant
@thomper08

Hey, thought I’d post and see what everyone thinks of my idea. I would want the tattoo (or a segment of it) to be a short sleeve, or have it start at the top of the arm and go just before the elbow.

Here it is:
http://www.subcitizen.com/images/Ames-Bros-Bar-Fight-T-Shirt.gif

I’m curious what do you think something like this would cost? I know prices vary between shops but is there a way to ballpark it? Theres alot of detail so…

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Am I understanding you correctly here… You want a T-Shirt picture tattooed on you?

Thomper08
Participant
@thomper08

Ummm…Well yeah or something like that, I like the way its drawn. And something like that would have a deeper meaning for me.

Adler
Participant
@adler

That’s not going to fit very well on your arm. Something like that would be best done big amd flat, such as a back piece.

mamajess
Participant
@mamajess

You show the picture to your artist, tell him you want it down your arm and they should be able to come up with something. There wouldn’t be room for as many characters but you should be able to get at least some on there. Depending on if you want color or black and grey is a big indicator. Takes lots of hours to do a sleeve. My half sleeve, HALF, isn’t even done with black and grey shading and I’ve put in 7.5 hrs at 100 an hr and my guy is reasonable on rate. So let’s just say you get a “reasonable guy” but this piece will be uber complicated. You have to be looking at at least 15 hrs if you do the inside of your arm too. If you get color, several hours more. So do that math… Best of luck to you though. It’s something I’d like to see finished!

kryptonite
Participant
@kryptonite
ArniVidar;78487 wrote:
Am I understanding you correctly here… You want a T-Shirt picture tattooed on you?

reading thru 400 of your 900+ reply’s is nothing more then “interesting”….

love the “bar fight” theme. it looks like a bit much for a small area(half sleave), but should be ok if you lose some of the scenery. i would like to see something like that as a back peice or maybe a “rib-shot”. as far as price, your on your own. tattoo artists arent like mechanics.. no book of prices that is. the 2 artists i use price work diffrently. so it all depends on where you live and who’s doin the work. the easest thing to do is to print out that pic and bring it to your ink spot

ArniVidar
@arnividar
kryptonite;78503 wrote:
reading thru 400 of your 900+ reply’s is nothing more then “interesting”….

Yes, and? What’s your point?

ArniVidar
@arnividar
Thomper08;78488 wrote:
Ummm…Well yeah or something like that, I like the way its drawn. And something like that would have a deeper meaning for me.

Okay, I thought I could be misunderstanding there.
Getting something that maybe thousands of people wear and discard on a daily basis as a tattoo does not appeal to me, but that is the beauty of the medium.. it doesn’t have to make sense to me.. just you 🙂

As others have stated, that is a fairly large and detailed piece and could never be fit on an arm. But maybe you could choose parts and parts from it.

A tattooartist will have to take it and create a ‘tube’ out of it though, for a seamless sleeve. So he/she will have to shrink and arrange the things and connect and generally modify the scene to make it flow on your arm. You’ll need a very GOOD artist to pull that off, especially if you want to keep the details.

TooManyNotEnough
Participant
@toomanynotenough

If you are going to do this go for a big flat piece of skin (back, front, thigh) and don’t turn away from an expensive tattoo as something like this will need to be done big and takes time which equates to $$$$.

goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes
ArniVidar;78509 wrote:
Okay, I thought I could be misunderstanding there.
Getting something that maybe thousands of people wear and discard on a daily basis as a tattoo does not appeal to me, but that is the beauty of the medium.. it doesn’t have to make sense to me.. just you.

just out of interest what type of ink are you interested in as most new comers get a tone of disapproval from you? your profile doesn’t show much ink so what is it you do and what is it you think is the way forward in tattooing?

The bar scene is a bit different and interesting, like mentioned may be worth going on the back for maximum effect.

ArniVidar
@arnividar
goldengraemes;78558 wrote:
most new comers get a tone of disapproval from you?

That is an outright lie and I shall thank you never to repeat that slander again!

just out of interest what type of ink are you interested in

Well, I am interested in ink in general, but unoriginality bores me. Tribal in general also bores me, but I have seen some fantastic tribal in here all the same. I agree that a bar scene, and indeed this bar scene even, are different and interesting. But as I said, getting an image on me which can be found on so many T-Shirts in so many dirty laundry baskets mixed with ball-sweat and skid-marks, is not appealing to me.

However, as I think I haven’t really answered your question, I am most into realism and fantasy… as far-fetched as those two may be together. 🙂

your profile doesn’t show much ink so what is it you do and what is it you think is the way forward in tattooing?

The profile only shows one ink because I got my first one in 2009 (a testing piece) and have not been able to afford any more.

I fail to see what difference what I ‘do’ makes, but I am an electrician, technical draftsman and an amateur architect. I have absolutely no thought on that the ‘way forward in tattooing’ is. Where you are concerned, I am just a tattoo enthusiast, as are all who join this forum.

goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes

No your job doesn’t really have anything to do with it I was just interested to know whether you worked within the industry as you seem to have good knowledge regarding tattoos but sometimes your strong opinions can take away from that knowledge, if you get what i mean?

I do also preferences on types of ink with japanese and realism being my fav! Tribal and stars are my least favorite as i don’t feel they are artistic, original or have a strong history behind them. I am not a massive fan of biomechaic stuff or horror but can appreciate good work.

I don’t mean to take a jab at you but your response could have said something like the idea itself is different and would need a larger area than your arm for it to have maximum impact, and have you though of creating more of a custom piece rather than replicating a tee shirt so your tattoo is more authentic?

Arni what work do you have planned next?, I take on board the expense point when you run a home and two cars, two dogs and have a social life it is hard to get a pot together to get a decent artist to work on you.
I have Tom Sugar doing a portrait in Feb which is going to cost quite a bit but two months to save isn’t too bad.

ArniVidar
@arnividar
goldengraemes;78566 wrote:
No your job doesn’t really have anything to do with it I was just interested to know whether you worked within the industry as you seem to have good knowledge regarding tattoos but sometimes your strong opinions can take away from that knowledge, if you get what i mean?

Thank you, but all the knowledge I have I have learned from these and other groups online since discovering my tattoo addiction. I have serious addictive tendencies, and everything I really like I go way way way overboard. I love tattoos, so here i am 🙂

As for my strong opinions, I have always been of the frame of mind that it’s useless keeping your opinions hidden. Nobody gains anything from that. So what I say or do I do in as honest a fashion as I possibly can. I realize that for some people this is very off-putting, especially when my opinion is a negative one, but I can no more change that than anything else about who I am at the core 🙂

But believe it or not, there was actually no negativity in my replies the OP. I simply did not understand his initial post, so I needed clarification. After that, I made the very simple comment that it was not my cup of tea (not even negative, IMO), and then went on to give (what I hoped to be) decent helpful advice.

I do also preferences on types of ink with japanese and realism being my fav! Tribal and stars are my least favorite as i don’t feel they are artistic, original or have a strong history behind them. I am not a massive fan of biomechaic stuff or horror but can appreciate good work.

Japanese isn’t my forté either, but I have seen some bloody spectacular Japanese pieces here, and I just love how well they can look when done properly. I think biometric is pretty cool but wouldn’t want it for myself, but I’m very dark so horror appeals to me…although little of the horror ink I’ve seen does.

I don’t mean to take a jab at you but your response could have said something like the idea itself is different and would need a larger area than your arm for it to have maximum impact, and have you though of creating more of a custom piece rather than replicating a tee shirt so your tattoo is more authentic?

Well, I will admit that I was kind of at a loss for words because of kryptonite’s post, and really just flabbergasted and trying to figure out what the point of his post was. I may therefore not have put as much thought into my response as I should. Also, seeing as English is my third language, I often have trouble putting my thoughts to paper. Well, it might not be because of that.. it may just be because I’m an idjut 😀

That being said, I did say most of that in my post. The only thing I left out was the advice of going for a more personalized/authentic piece of ink, because I don’t believe in telling people their ink is impersonal or not authentic. It may not be my cup of tea, but if he wants it then all the more power to him.

Arni what work do you have planned next?, I take on board the expense point when you run a home and two cars, two dogs and have a social life it is hard to get a pot together to get a decent artist to work on you.
I have Tom Sugar doing a portrait in Feb which is going to cost quite a bit but two months to save isn’t too bad.

I have two very different styles that clash or complement, depending on how you think about it. I love B/G realistic pieces with sick amounts of details. I also love cartoons. Bold, perfect lines and sharp bright colors.

My problems, apart from the money issue, is that Iceland only has one tattoo artist that can do the B/G style (and he does it fucking masterfully) and has no tattoo artists that can draw up cartoons.

I have a list of maybe 50 or so tattoos that I want to get, and quite a few problems picking what would be next. I really want the Phoenix sleeve, since that has some great significance to me and my life, but I may have to start on the music sleeve, since that one can be done in smaller pieces and by the artists actually available in Iceland. The total coverage planned is both arm sleeves, both leg ‘sleeves’ and the back. That leaves my shiny hiny and the front unplanned.

Each arm sleeve will cost me about $2000 though and I’m working on buying an apartment, so it’s not going to be happening any time soon.

SHTxHAPNS
Participant
@shtxhapns

i like the idea but think it could be done in a much cooler way such as a shit ton of comic book characters fighting in a bar or something, like i said i think the idea i cool but is in much need of some sort of upgrade

just my .02

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.