GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

I wanted to bounce some ideas off people. As a few of you know, I had ovarian cancer and had a ten lb. tumor removed. It’s higher than a C-section scar, and honestly, despite diet and exercise, I’m self-conscious in a two piece or in bed.

I spoke with the guy who did my last tattoo and he suggested I schlep around the internet, that it could be masked and still look feminine. His first suggestion was flowers, and I think that’s the general direction. Something like this would be lovely.

However, I want Indian flowers in more of a pastel palette. I also want to feature a little Indian bird like this.

The only non-Indian detail I want featured is my little gray and white cat. Is this a feasible idea? Any help is appreciated; I emailed the tattoo artist this morning to see if he’s interested.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

I suggest you check out Clematis. They are a climber / vine with many different color choices for the flowers. You could combine them with a trumpet vine for combinations of purple / pink with orange / red flowers.

Keep us posted.

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

I love! What about the bird and cat? Yea or nay, Mr. 51 Hours? I trust your opinion.

Thaela
    Participant
    @thaela

How long is your incision scar? I don’t see why you couldn’t incorporate all the elements that you want in your tattoo. I think the example you posted is nice – your artist could just substitute some of the flowers for the bird and cat, and the flowers of your choice. Have him draw something up for you and see what you think.

Good luck, and please keep us posted 🙂

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@GrayCatLove 125470 wrote:

I love! What about the bird and cat? Yea or nay, Mr. 51 Hours? I trust your opinion.

The cat and bird are fine. (just keep them apart. You know birds and cats!)

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

@Thaela 125476 wrote:

How long is your incision scar? I don’t see why you couldn’t incorporate all the elements that you want in your tattoo. I think the example you posted is nice – your artist could just substitute some of the flowers for the bird and cat, and the flowers of your choice. Have him draw something up for you and see what you think.

Good luck, and please keep us posted 🙂

It’s about ten inches, hip to hip. I will indeed keep in touch. 🙂

@Sam-I-Am 125479 wrote:

The cat and bird are fine. (just keep them apart. You know birds and cats!)

Brother, that’s the truth. About twice a week I get a bird head on my welcome mat.

argedion
    Participant
    @argedion

In my head I am seeing this lovely array of flowers where a little kitten is lying on its back paws up just playing with a flower and on the other side a small bird drinking water from the petals of a water lily or something. I think that would be very cool and feminine. I also envision the scar being incorporated as a vine then a “Cover Up” and maybe a cancer bow floating around in there somewhere to remember your a survivor and not a victim of cancer 🙂

Call_me_Lola
    Participant
    @call_me_lola

@argedion 125483 wrote:

In my head I am seeing this lovely array of flowers where a little kitten is lying on its back paws up just playing with a flower and on the other side a small bird drinking water from the petals of a water lily or something. I think that would be very cool and feminine. I also envision the scar being incorporated as a vine then a “Cover Up” and maybe a cancer bow floating around in there somewhere to remember your a survivor and not a victim of cancer 🙂

Argedion: clearly you are a more gentle soul than I am. I had pictured just the eyes an ears of the cat, peering thru the flowers at the birdie, on the hunt. I have to say that I like your vision much better!!

GreyCatLove: I think that the tattooer is going to be able to draw up something so wonderful that it might even make that a part of your body that you love and are proud to show off. A transformation. I wish that you could be proud of your scar, but since it bothers you I think the tattoo is a beautiful solution. First stop – tattoo shop. Second stop – bikini store!!!!

Best of luck to you, GrayCatLove. You owe us pics of how it turns out.

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

I love both suggestions, but my lady cat is FIERCE! 😀 But Ryan may make something sweet I adore that captures her cuddly side. I used to be proud of the scar, but I’m tired of people assuming it’s a C-section scar and nosy questions and making me feel awkward. I don’t like the pity. I pulled through, thanks to my kitty who stuck by my side once I was home, and I’ve always had a spiritual connection with India as well as an Indian doctor I love very much

Can’t wait to post pics… May be a couple months d/t working non-stop and this is my first “big girl” tattoo. I think everyone’s right on the vine idea. Thank you.
    o.

gnarfo14
    Participant
    @gnarfo14

Great idea, you should be able to find all kinds of varieties of Clematis but to my knowledge, neither Clematis nor the bird pictured have an Indian connection.

Maybe you know something that I don’t, but isn’t that an Eastern Bluebird that is pictured? It a lovely bird, we have a family who nests in our backyard and loves live mealworms. So far we’ve had 6 broods but I digress….. I didn’t know that there was any Indian connection with these little guys.

I was also under the impression that Clematis was of Asian origin, Chinese or Japanese, I’m not for sure.

I see nothing wrong with including it in your idea even if there is no connection, just food for thought 🙂

Congratulations on your victory, that’s no small feat. You certainly have no reason to be self-conscious but every reason to celebrate with some nice ink 🙂

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

I think the bird is Luscinia brunnea, like this. Indian BB’s have little black masks. (Now I see the guy’s little white belly and I’m wondering if he really has a black mask or if that’s shadow.)

Clematis I’m not sure of the origin, though the internet tells me at this moment it is sometimes known as the “star of India.” (Not even going to pretend I knew that until it was Googled.)

gnarfo14
    Participant
    @gnarfo14

Ok, I think I figured it out (admittedly through google searches as well, so it MUST be true!). The “Star of India” seems to be a specific cultivar of Clematis. Check this out….

Clematis List | Home of Clematis

Also, what a beautiful bird! I’ve never seen that type before. As I type this one of ours perched on our back porch. Maybe he knew I was talking about him…

I never thought I’d be discussing birds and flowers on a tattoo forum 😉

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

Makes me think of that Dorothy Parker quote when she was playing some game, and some snob says, “Use ‘horticulture’ in a sentence, Dorothy.” And she goes, “You can lead a horticulture, but you can’t make her think.” 😀

Yes, the purple might work with a lotus or so thrown in. I have a weird thing about my body requiring a cohesive color palette.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@gnarfo14 125506 wrote:

Clematis List | Home of Clematis

Thanks for the link.
    (I was grower and florist in the early 1970’s and it sticks with you)

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

You know, if a tattoo hater read this thread, they’d say, “SEE? I KNEW THESE PEOPLE WERE A BUNCH OF FREAKS!”

Anyway, no reply from the artist yet. I imagine Monday and Tuesday might be his days off, or maybe emailing him wasn’t the best approach… I told him how much I liked the first one he did and how well it was doing, and how I’d like him to consider this big job. I hope I didn’t scare him off.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.