ChelseaM
Participant
@chelseam

Im studying tattooing for my uni dissertation!
After lots of research into tattooing I found that there had been lots of studys asking NON tattooed people what they think of tattooed people but next to none asking tattooed people themselves what they think!

So im studying tattoo perception based on actual tattooed people to hopefully give us a larger voice in tattoo literature (although i cannot promise it will get published, thats up to people much higher up than me).

So if you feel like participating in this study the questionnaire is at the following link:
http://ess.ntu.ac.uk/sutton/formfiles/n0267311/tattooing2012.htm

Its completely anonymous but to participate you must be:
– Over 18
– Living in Britain
– Tattooed

Thanks for reading! (and hopefully participating!) 🙂
ChelseaM

Panter
Participant
@panter

Right, done it, but I suspect you’re going to run into fairly meaningless data.

The problem is, you’re asking people to generalise about those with tattoos. Although it’s probably effective on the non-tattooed population, I suspect that the tattooed community will look beyond the ink and will be unable to answer the questions (like myself) as we know that having tattoos doesn’t affect character in any way.

Just my tuppence worth, anyway…

ChelseaM
Participant
@chelseam

Thanks for doin it! 🙂
And I see your point!
However, if people state ‘no answer’ or put their answer in the middle sayin they neither agree or disagree, then thats a finding in itself! As it would mean that tattooed people don’t generalise about each other. It would also go against previous generalisations made by the non tattooed and show that tattooed people dont percieve each other the way the non tattooed percieve them.
Depends how you look at it 🙂

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

i completed the survey as well, i couldnt answer a single question with yes no agree or disagree. the perceptions questions in the 2nd half were more aimed at the non tattooed who are not familiar with the world as far as im concerned and the first half were just a number of generalisations to which there could be a number of answers based on facts and not really an opinion thing. in the end i wrote a proper answer for all or you would ahve got absolutely no data whatsoever im afraid. i would consider completely rewording your survey xxx

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

did you consider your own reasons when you wrote this? or did you consider it from the viewpoint of the non tattooed?

ChelseaM
Participant
@chelseam

Thanks for fillin it in!
the perceptions have come out of research (mostly done by the non-tattooed).
So for each ‘do you think tattooed people are deviant’ etc there has been some research done to prove that tattooed people are seen to be deviant etc.
So personally my aim would be to argue with them all by getting no strong results for any, and be able to say ‘tattooed people do not generalise about each other’ or something like that.
The generalisations in the first half have come from both tattooed and non-tattooed research, so its testing whats applicable to Britain today. (and hopefully disproving Renata Salecl who is convinced tattooed people are masochists who just want to mutilate themselves).
xx

ChelseaM
Participant
@chelseam

Thanks to everyone whos filled the questionnaire in so far!
The closing date is march 8th
Anyone else who feels like participating, your responses will be appreciated! 🙂

http://ess.ntu.ac.uk/sutton/formfiles/n0267311/tattooing2012.htm

Chelsea x

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

Done, although most of my answers were straight down the middle as you can have athletic, promiscuous etc etc on both sides of the fence, tattoos has nothing to do with it.

Cornishtiger
Participant
@cornishtiger

It is exactly this kind of self indulgent pointless crap that has devalued uni education to one step up from a Burger King training day.
Oh look theres another cool bandwagon due along any minute get your jumping shoes on!

ChelseaM
Participant
@chelseam

You’d rather i spend my year studying wife battery? child abuse? secularisation?
I’d rather keep it positive and study something i have an interest in duck!
Thanks for the support.. !

Cornishtiger
Participant
@cornishtiger

Sorry there has been a misunderstanding I was in no way shape or form offering any support.
In answer to your question:
I dont care what you study but the fact that you think this survey is degree level is really disappointing.
The only thing more disappointing is that I assume someone pretending to be an educator has looked over this work and told you its good enough.
You claim that you are studying something that interests you but I dont see any real understanding of tattoos or the people who have them and I dont see anything in your survey that will lead to a better understanding.

bluey
Participant
@bluey

Must be an arts degree in Oz they are BA – Bachelor of Attendance!!!!
What did the Arts Grad say to the Science Grad? Would you like fries with that.

ChelseaM
Participant
@chelseam

This questionnaire is one small part of a 10,000 word project.
Each function and perception in the questionnaire has somewhere been published as part of tattoo literature. Some of which are very insightful into the understanding of tattooed people.
Others are from studies basically slagging off the tattooed which I am attempting to oppose through this questionnaire.
The better understanding should come from the findings, which will show whether tattooed people share the stereotypical perceptions presented by the non-tattooed in literature and show whether tattoo functions that have been suggested in various countries apply to the tattooed in Britain.

winged_angel
Participant
@winged_angel

All done!

As has been said before, some of the questions did seem to be aimed and those who aren’t tattoo’d but I tried my best for you.

Alot of the questions I struggled with such as ‘describe a tattoo’d man/woman’. People could be describing a chav, a meathead, metalhead etc.

I tried and I hope that it goes ok. Let us know if it’s going to be published yeah? I’d love to read it!

austy
Participant
@austy

Hi I’ve completed your survey but agree with those, It does seem like the questions are aimed at people without tattoo’s. Having a tattoo has no bearing on intelligence strenth or how much of a deviant you are. Good luck with ya dissertation though:D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.