goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes

Hi All.
As you know I have posted some work I have had on my arms from a couple of artists one being Tom Sugar.

My wife has just given birth to our baby boy Edward Thomas Jones on the 22nd December and I am thinking of getting a new tattoo to celebrate his arrival.

I have been thinking of a pocket watch in a super realistic style either B+G or colour depending what the best option is for realism, with the time of when he was born 14:45.

My first idea was my hands cupped together holding the pocket watch. Location on the top of my back due to size and flatness or ribs as a second option.

2nd option my left inner forearm with just the pocket watch and maybe some back ground to tie things so it doesn’t look odd. With me having a Japanese half sleeve I wasn’t sure about location and mixing subject matter/styles?

Any of you guys and gals have any ideas on this subject?

Cheers Gra

bluey
Participant
@bluey

Sorry no ideas but congratulations.

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

i say back. and are you sticking with the same artist? and i also say congrats!

goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes

I have looked at Nigel Kurt portfolio but his waiting list is 7months currently and Tom Sugar is also known for detailed realism/portraits etc and I know he will nail it too.
Tom is only 20mins away to which is a win to have someone so good so near. His waiting list is normally between 6-12 weeks last time I was there.
I may go in to discuss.

Adler
Participant
@adler

I think sometimes the “hands” tattoo can be overplayed but at least with your idea (holding the watch) and situation it would be somewhat unique and appropriate. That said, I’m still not sure I like it with the hands. Maybe just the watch in black and grey and some background or his birth flower or something incorporated would be enough. If you just went with the watch it would probably fit well on the forearm if you want such exposure. Otherwise, I’d say back or chest.

I just looked at some of Tom Sugar’s tattoos, especially black and grey, and I think he would nail this piece.

Congratulations to you and the wife.

goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes

Thanks Adler.

I am sure Toms input will be taken on board as he is not the type of artist to go oh yeah ill do that without flying some ideas about.
The inner forearm is not a problem for work as I always were long sleeve shirts however the back gives me more options for a bigger more detailed piece which the detail is what I am looking for that mind blowing piece.

I need to think what other options I have, I like the hands cupping the watch however don’t want a clique piece.

Briscogun
Participant
@briscogun

Congrats on the birth of your son! This is such a great time for you! Give your wife our congrats, too. I think she did some of the work… :rolleyes:

I like the idea of the watch with the birth time, very unique and personal. I also really like the idea of having the watch rest atop of something, just not sure of the hands idea though. Is there something else you could use that might signify his birth, or maybe his mother, or a family item? I think you are really on to a great idea, though. Let us know what you come up with, and once again, congratulations!

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

congrats

Post pictures when done.

KillianMick
Participant
@killianmick

Just a thought – that pic you posted of him is precious. What if you took it to the artist and had Edward’s right hand holding the chain of the watch? (Reproducing the hand position, shape, etc, from the photograph, of course!)

Congratulations to your family!

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

If you want to do something you should do a portrait and just add the watch in.

goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes
Wardy;104412 wrote:
If you want to do something you should do a portrait and just add the watch in.

I am not really after a portrait as at this stage although we can see his features a portrait may not catch this well at this stage only being 9days old. I think I will save the portrait possibility until I get one of those funny once in a life time photos.

I am sticking with the pocket watch idea as this has a story behind it which can be talked about to anyone who is interested enough to ask.

I am going to have a think about what to add in to the piece to make it more unique.

I spoke to the studio today and can get a consultation this month as it is a quieter month post Christmas.

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

hi! congratulations on the birth of your son, he’s absolutely divine! i agree, i dont think a portrait is right at this stage, i really like the idea of a very intricate pocket watch. i also think back would be better than forearm for placement as like you said you already have the japanese sleeve which this wont fit with and you also have a lot more space on your back.maybe rather than your hands holding it you could have an adult hand handing the watch to a childs hand or something? just an idea if you like the hands thing (i think when done well they can look excellent personally 🙂 ) let us know what you come up with i will be interested to see the end result x

goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes

Thanks for the kind comments.
I am going to book a consultation and see if my artist can throw some ideas out there and chat with my wife further and see if we can come up with something.
I have been looking all over the net to see if I can get some inspiration on subject matter.:D

ArniVidar
@arnividar

I really like the watch idea, but not so much the hands. At least, the way I imagine the hands is not good. One hand, holding the watch, might work.. dunno.

Congratulations on the birth of your son, however. You are very very lucky!

goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes

Cheers Arni I am definately sticking with the watch idea as you say the hands could be hit or miss.
It may be that simple is more effective. I will have to come up with some sort of back ground I think though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.