xanderx
Participant
@xanderx

so… moment of truth is coming soon…

need some quick opinions on first ink…

i’m thinking of getting the upper arm done, japanese wave (kanagawa) tattoo with a few personal elements: a boat with lion’s head and a sun with a scale/libra face… is this overkill (too much details)?

i’m no artist but will try and put together some pics in paint to get an idea… talking to the artist maybe 2 weeks from now…

thanks in advance for the help.

backinblack
Participant
@backinblack

Doesn’t seem like overkill to me, the main thing here is to make sure your artist is up to standard, do you have any images of the design?

BigZach
Participant
@bigzach

So the boat is going to have a lions face, and the sun is going to have a libra face, all with Japanese waves?

xanderx
Participant
@xanderx

was thinking of something like this:

62956151090504925656151.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

again sorry not good at this, but at least the idea is here. I’ve cut and paste some pics into the kanagawa wave pic. of course i’ll ask the artist to blend them together nicely. what do you guys think?

tattoodraft.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Plague
Participant
@plague

That’s a good question. I’ve often wondered if I could go to an artist w/ some separate pics that could possibly be incorporated into on tat. Interested in reading comments you get.

imperial1904
Participant
@imperial1904

You can bring separate pics to the shop. I think the more references the better but not to the point it’s like you’re bringing a hundred different pics.

xanderx
Participant
@xanderx

any suggestions/opinions on the design?

how to make it better? or blend better together?

would really appreciate inputs from the experts here. thanks.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

your best bet is to let your artist incorporate your ideas into a piece that will work as a tattoo to fit the space you are willing to donate………despite my own years of art school and years of being tattooed I find they always know better……..tattoo is a different kind of art form, the artists much consider that lines grow and the piece can change over time, they know how much detail and how much open space and line spacing to put into a piece to make the design last for years

spirit_eyes
Participant
@spirit_eyes

every tat i have, i brought in the pic, or had him change a piece i seen. all my stuff is custom. the only one that’s borderline is a sun/moon that i copied from a tile i bought in sicily.

arnoldsantos1
Participant
@arnoldsantos1

It’s the classic 10-pound shit trying to stuff in a half-pound bag.
Figure out what you want your tattoo to be. Is it a ship, or a sun, or your zodiac, or a cross, or the wave? A tattoo is best with ONE subject matter.

I say you get a SHIP tattoo. Let it take up most of your upper arm. Have the cross on the sail and lion as the figurehead of the ship (google “lion figurehead”), like how you have it posted. Change the angle of the ship so that it fits the shape of your arm (tall instead of wide). Some Japanese style water and finger waves for background. Have a sunrise or sunset behind the ship. It’s still just a tattoo of a SHIP with most of the things incorporated.
The zodiac can be a separate tattoo all on its own.
You can buy that Hokusai print and hang it. It looks better on a wall than as a tattoo.

xanderx
Participant
@xanderx

Thanks for everyone who replied. Now I’m actually having second thoughts about the design. :confused:

Anyway, will spend more time to think it through and hopefully get to talk to the artist this week. Thanks!

xanderx
Participant
@xanderx
arnoldsantos1;93072 wrote:
It’s the classic 10-pound shit trying to stuff in a half-pound bag.
Figure out what you want your tattoo to be. Is it a ship, or a sun, or your zodiac, or a cross, or the wave? A tattoo is best with ONE subject matter.

I say you get a SHIP tattoo. Let it take up most of your upper arm. Have the cross on the sail and lion as the figurehead of the ship (google “lion figurehead”), like how you have it posted. Change the angle of the ship so that it fits the shape of your arm (tall instead of wide). Some Japanese style water and finger waves for background. Have a sunrise or sunset behind the ship. It’s still just a tattoo of a SHIP with most of the things incorporated.
The zodiac can be a separate tattoo all on its own.
You can buy that Hokusai print and hang it. It looks better on a wall than as a tattoo.

Thanks for the reply. Really got me thinking there. I will need to really sit down and re-think this whole thing now. Very helpful, thanks again.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.