mattboyslim
Participant
@mattboyslim

Hi all,

In a couple of days time i am going to sit down with a local tattooist to discuss an idea for a tattoo.

It will be my first tattoo and i would like it on my chest and ‘spilling’ over my shoulder onto my arm. I have a picture taken from the inside of a breaking wave which i would like to use as the basic concept for the chest part but i wanted to take the water idea into a half sleeve but i don’t really know what to go for!

I want the half sleeve to be quite angry looking to show the contrast of surfing the perfect wave and getting barrelled, with the nightmare of getting caught underwater and not being able to get back out again (two things i have experienced quite a few times!)

I am also trained in 2 japanese martial arts so i would like it to be in a japanese style.

So two questions really:

Will i sound like a total fool walking into the studio without an exact idea for the half sleeve?

Does anyone have any ideas that i can use to convey the aggressive water theme on my sleeve?

Thanks for any advice, Matt

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
mattboyslim;92323 wrote:
Will i sound like a total fool walking into the studio without an exact idea for the half sleeve?

Not at all. Most good tattoo artists would prefer to have as much creative freedom as possible.

mattboyslim;92323 wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas that i can use to convey the aggressive water theme on my sleeve?

Not really but the artist may.

PvtDonut
Participant
@pvtdonut

idk about helping you out with the tattoo but as for the walking in i am at the same point i been looking for an artist to sit down with and just try to talk to him about it and get some feedback but as of yet most of them are asses goodluck though

Plague
Participant
@plague

I have wondered similarly… I think I’d feel comfortable sitting down with an artist to just talk about ideas and stuff. Is it commonplace to do so? Are artists usually open to having a “meeting” to see what he/she might be able to do and suggest before making an appointment?

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Of course. An artist would work like that. But that would actually be the first appointment 🙂

imperial1904
Participant
@imperial1904
Plague;92522 wrote:
I have wondered similarly… I think I’d feel comfortable sitting down with an artist to just talk about ideas and stuff. Is it commonplace to do so? Are artists usually open to having a “meeting” to see what he/she might be able to do and suggest before making an appointment?

For the most part. They want your business. The shop I go to now, I talked to a couple artists and went through their portfolio before setting up an appointment (only when I felt comfortable with their experience and portfolio). Then we talk some more while getting tattooed about other ideas we can do in other places.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.