Dymond
Participant
@dymond

Was thinking of doing the Philippine Islands, but i’m thinking it’ll look weird because the islands are curved a little. Anyone have an idea of how i could make it work, or maybe another creative idea for my tricep?

Here’s an idea of the tattoo i want… minus the sun/stars:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=philippine+island+tattoo&hl=en&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=IAqH2Kwa3QbXzM:&imgrefurl=http://www.pinoytattoos.com/page/25/&docid=9PROsIDwNCcPkM&w=225&h=300&ei=mysqTreFHeT30gG51YjkCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=525&vpy=298&dur=338&hovh=240&hovw=180&tx=108&ty=156&page=3&tbnh=153&tbnw=115&start=41&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:16,s:41&biw=1366&bih=673

ArniVidar
@arnividar

I don’t understand these black island tattoos. They are as uncreative as can be, and will just end up looking like black malignant tumors on the skin.

imperial1904
Participant
@imperial1904
ArniVidar;92317 wrote:
I don’t understand these black island tattoos. They are as uncreative as can be, and will just end up looking like black malignant tumors on the skin.

Uncreative?? Really? There are way more things people get tattooed that are uncreative. Just cause you’re not from one of these islands, you shouldn’t hate on something you don’t understand.

I have the Philippine islands on my inner forearm that wraps around a little and has waves around it. I don’t think the triceps is a good placement for it though.

Dymond
Participant
@dymond

I didn’t think so either.. thinking i might do the sun/stars on my chest instead. Definitely want tricep tattoos though… just have to think up the right design

Amok
Participant
@amok
ArniVidar;92317 wrote:

Not as bad as a southern cross tattoo, but not far off it either

imperial1904
Participant
@imperial1904
Dymond;92363 wrote:
I didn’t think so either.. thinking i might do the sun/stars on my chest instead. Definitely want tricep tattoos though… just have to think up the right design

I think the sun & stars would look alright on your tricep. I don’t think I’ve seen that placed there before.

Plague
Participant
@plague

I saw another island country tat before and really didn’t know what it was…looked like a bunch of spots to me; however, someone else on the forum had recognized it right away and commented, thats the only way I knew what I was looking at.

Like it was said earlier, if you’re from that country, it will look like something. And since beauty is in the eye of the beholder, will people from the Philippines be seeing it? or will you have a bunch of ppl asking what it is?

Just something to think bout.

ArniVidar
@arnividar
imperial1904;92351 wrote:
Uncreative?? Really? There are way more things people get tattooed that are uncreative. Just cause you’re not from one of these islands, you shouldn’t hate on something you don’t understand.

Not hating on anything. I just think a totally filled in outline fits in the same category as Tribal. Unimaginative and boring. I live in an island with a very distinctive shape, and am very proud of it, so perhaps you should not assume that I don’t understand what it means to you. That doesn’t change my opinion, however, and I would never get a huge black blob of Iceland on me.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

People from Islands seam to have a lot of “island pride” I don’t get it. If it’s so fucking great why did you leave?

This mainly aimed at the Hawaiians around here.

imperial1904
Participant
@imperial1904
buttwheat;92412 wrote:
People from Islands seam to have a lot of “island pride” I don’t get it. If it’s so fucking great why did you leave?

This mainly aimed at the Hawaiians around here.

For me, I was born in the Philippines while my father was stationed there. Military families move around a lot. I’m half Filipino and it’s always nice to have some pride in what you are. If people don’t get that… I don’t know what to say then. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

@ArniVidar
, how does a filled in outline fall into the same category as tribal? Your island really doesn’t have a distinctive shape, not as distinctive of the Philippines in my opinion.

@Plague
, you’re probably talking about mine lol. I don’t care if people don’t recognize it. Hell, most of the shit people have here I don’t recognize what the fuck it is. I’ve had people come up to me not knowing what country it is but recognized it as islands and then say how it looks really good. Had a guy say mine looked way better than some Hawaiian islands he saw on someone in Hawaii.

Hopefully this post will clear any confusion of why we get island tattoos. Pride and heritage, bottom line. ๐Ÿ˜‰

ArniVidar
@arnividar
imperial1904;92415 wrote:
@ArniVidar, how does a filled in outline fall into the same category as tribal? Your island really doesn’t have a distinctive shape, not as distinctive of the Philippines in my opinion.

Well the Philippines don’t have a distinctive shape, not as distinctive as that of Iceland in my opinion.

I wouldn’t recognized the Philippines from any of the thousand other island clusters in the world, whereas I’d recognize Iceland straight away. The reverse is obviously true for you. We recognize what we know. What’s your point?

And how can a filled in outline not be the same as Tribal? Tribal IS filled in outlines ๐Ÿ™‚

JakeW
Participant
@jakew

Dymond the way that i see it if thats something that you want and is significant to you than more power to you because when it comes down to it, its something that you have to live with. I think actually the contour of the tattoo could be worked with but it might be better if it starts on your shoulder and work its way down to your tricep. i could see it working i don’t know if i’d go with the black silhouette though i think it could look just as well with the colored texture map too though. Then you could get some shading in it and it might stand out a bit too. But if its something that you want to signify the philipines why don’t you get something that is the core of the Philippines’ culture and is significant to you. Or maybe a landscape 0f a certain area that is significant you in particular that you spent alot of time at as a child.

JakeW
Participant
@jakew

i agree tribal is definately my least favorite of designs but can be appropriate in some cases..

JakeW
Participant
@jakew

Dymond u know the way that i see it if thats something that you want and is significant to you than more power to you because when it comes down to it, its something that you have to live with. I think actually the contour of the tattoo could be worked with but it might be better if it starts on your shoulder and work its way down to your tricep. i could see it working i don’t know if i’d go with the black silhouette though i think it could look just as well with the colored texture map too though. Then you could get some shading in it and it might stand out a bit too. But if its something that you want to signify the philipines why don’t you get something that is the core of the Philippines’ culture and is significant to you. Or maybe a landscape 0f a certain area that is significant you in particular that you spent alot of time at as a child.

imperial1904
Participant
@imperial1904
ArniVidar;92418 wrote:
Well the Philippines don’t have a distinctive shape, not as distinctive as that of Iceland in my opinion.

I wouldn’t recognized the Philippines from any of the thousand other island clusters in the world, whereas I’d recognize Iceland straight away. The reverse is obviously true for you. We recognize what we know. What’s your point?

And how can a filled in outline not be the same as Tribal? Tribal IS filled in outlines ๐Ÿ™‚

Well I wouldn’t know the shape of Iceland myself, so to each their own. I mean, I could easily confuse Iceland with Australia (but I’m not that dumb). ๐Ÿ™‚ I don’t really have a point, just giving my view on this discussion we’re having.

So basically what you’re saying is (and please correct me if I’m wrong) that ANYTHING that is filled in can be classified as tribal?? Please clear that up for me cause that’s what it seems like you’re saying. There’s a HUGE difference between tribal and islands and if you’re a tattoo artist…. wow. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

I can say your tattoo looks more tribal than island tattoos, just cause it’s not filled in, it still looks tribal and unimaginative and just plain boring. What you think looks boring, might not look boring to other people.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.