ArniVidar
@arnividar
imperial1904;92425 wrote:
So basically what you’re saying is (and please correct me if I’m wrong) that ANYTHING that is filled in can be classified as tribal?? Please clear that up for me cause that’s what it seems like you’re saying.

I don’t understand how you managed to read that into it. You asked “how does a filled in outline fall into the same category as tribal?”, which is like asking how wetness can fall into the same category as water. I just replied that all (well, 99% of them at least) Tribals are filled outlines. That does not mean that all filled outlines are tribal.

There’s a HUGE difference between tribal and islands and if you’re a tattoo artist…. wow. 😮

Umh.. how did you get the idea that I was a tattoo artist? I’m just a tattoo enthusiast, same as you. There is indeed a huge difference between Tribal and a filled in island tattoo (although your own tattoo was never the focal point of this discussion, and why you’ve decided to take all of this so personally is beyond me) but that doesn’t change MY OPINION that I don’t understand island tattoos and that I find them boring.

I can say your tattoo looks more tribal than island tattoos, just cause it’s not filled in, it still looks tribal and unimaginative and just plain boring.

Well no, you can’t really say that, since my Taurus symbol, just like an island tattoo, has no Tribal roots or connections and indeed just has nothing to do with Tribal whatsoever 🙂
That you find my tattoo unimaginative and boring, however, is of no concern to me.

What you think looks boring, might not look boring to other people.

Exactly! Why don’t you read your own words and accept them? My finding solid black island tattoos boring doesn’t mean that they ARE boring. It’s just my opinion. And before you started taking offense and going on the defensive, I didn’t even have the slightest clue that you possessed one of them. That being said, here’s me saying it for the very first time so that I may at least be deserving of your animosity:

I think your island tattoo is boring.

The big question is… why the fuck do you care what I think?

imperial1904
Participant
@imperial1904
ArniVidar;92434 wrote:
I don’t understand how you managed to read that into it. You asked “how does a filled in outline fall into the same category as tribal?”, which is like asking how wetness can fall into the same category as water. I just replied that all (well, 99% of them at least) Tribals are filled outlines. That does not mean that all filled outlines are tribal.

Umh.. how did you get the idea that I was a tattoo artist? I’m just a tattoo enthusiast, same as you. There is indeed a huge difference between Tribal and a filled in island tattoo (although your own tattoo was never the focal point of this discussion, and why you’ve decided to take all of this so personally is beyond me) but that doesn’t change MY OPINION that I don’t understand island tattoos and that I find them boring.

Well no, you can’t really say that, since my Taurus symbol, just like an island tattoo, has no Tribal roots or connections and indeed just has nothing to do with Tribal whatsoever 🙂
That you find my tattoo unimaginative and boring, however, is of no concern to me.

Exactly! Why don’t you read your own words and accept them? My finding solid black island tattoos boring doesn’t mean that they ARE boring. It’s just my opinion. And before you started taking offense and going on the defensive, I didn’t even have the slightest clue that you possessed one of them. That being said, here’s me saying it for the very first time so that I may at least be deserving of your animosity:

I think your island tattoo is boring.

The big question is… why the fuck do you care what I think?

How did you quote everything like that?? :confused:

Anyway lol

1. I asked for you to clear that up for me cause I thought I was reading it wrong. No need to go any further.
2. I could’ve sworn you said you were a tattoo artist or work in a tattoo shop, unless I’ve mistaken you with someone else, my bad… it happens. I’m not taking anything personally, this is just a discussion, right? Unless this isn’t what we signed up for here.
3. So wait a minute… you said island tattoos fall into the same category as tribal, but yet you just said in the third response that “my Taurus symbol, just like an island tattoo, has no Tribal roots or connections and indeed just has nothing to do with Tribal whatsoever”. So because the islands are filled in, it makes it “the same as tribal”?? :confused:
4. You think my tattoo is boring, fine. I think your tattoo is boring also and played out like barb wire and tribal arm bands that a million other people have and have used as tramp stamps. 🙂

Now can we move on and end it here? We’ve both said our peace. 🙂

ArniVidar
@arnividar
imperial1904;92447 wrote:
How did you quote everything like that?? :confused:

It’s actually pretty simple once you grasp either the HTML or the simpler BB code system. Any command starts with a [ bracket ] and ends with a [ / end bracket ] so a touch of copying and pasting will give you multiple quotes inside the same post.

2. I could’ve sworn you said you were a tattoo artist or work in a tattoo shop, unless I’ve mistaken you with someone else, my bad… it happens.

Nay, never said anything of the sort 🙂

I’m not taking anything personally, this is just a discussion, right? Unless this isn’t what we signed up for here.

Glad to hear it.. you just seemed to come on pretty strong for no apparent reason. And yes, at least I am here for healthy discussions.

you said island tattoos fall into the same category as tribal

The category of being boring an unimaginative, yes. Nothing to do with the genre of the tattoos.

You think my tattoo is boring, fine. I think your tattoo is boring also and played out like barb wire and tribal arm bands that a million other people have and have used as tramp stamps.

That’s pretty interesting, considering it’s probably the only one of it’s kind on the planet :rolleyes:

Now can we move on and end it here? We’ve both said our peace. 🙂

Of course.

Dymond
Participant
@dymond
JakeW;92421 wrote:
Dymond u know the way that i see it if thats something that you want and is significant to you than more power to you because when it comes down to it, its something that you have to live with. I think actually the contour of the tattoo could be worked with but it might be better if it starts on your shoulder and work its way down to your tricep. i could see it working i don’t know if i’d go with the black silhouette though i think it could look just as well with the colored texture map too though. Then you could get some shading in it and it might stand out a bit too. But if its something that you want to signify the philipines why don’t you get something that is the core of the Philippines’ culture and is significant to you. Or maybe a landscape 0f a certain area that is significant you in particular that you spent alot of time at as a child.

I like that idea a lot actually. The islands from the shoulder-tricep. I’m still brainstorming… my artist isn’t going to start on it until this weekend, so i have a few days to decide.

Thanks for all the replies, fellas. I’m taking all of your suggestions into consideration.. i’d hate to get something that i’ll regret later :]

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Oh, and Dymond… sorry for going so horribly off topic in your thread. Never intended to hijack it 🙂

As for regretting it later, don’t you think perhaps you should make up your mind first (without rushing) and then schedule a session to have it inked on you? Seems to me you might not be thinking clearly with the deadline looming like that.

arnoldsantos1
Participant
@arnoldsantos1

It’s a bad idea. It doesn’t make a nice tattoo at all. Neither do the sun and stars. Islands belong on a map or globe, and the sun and stars belong on a flag.
If you want to show heritage through tattoos, consider other images that would look better as a tattoo. Animals indigenous or unique to the country (monkey-eating eagle is dope or even the water buffalo), flowers and such. Filipinos have traditional tribal, head hunter type tattooing too, so look into that.

joepa150
Participant
@joepa150

I say go for it. I think that a tattoo is something that you like, not what everyone else thinks is cool. Everyone has their opinions and usually it is not the same across the board.

Personally I like the tattoo but then again I also like Adobo and Longanisa 🙂

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

get this and be done with it.
165189_172774286094295_100000851759210_334397_7272880_n-1.jpg

joepa150
Participant
@joepa150
yodaddynukka;93182 wrote:
get this and be done with it.
165189_172774286094295_100000851759210_334397_7272880_n-1.jpg

Sweet! While I love Pacman, I don’t know if I would get a tattoo of him. Nice work though.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.