#107177
caliguy
Participant
    @caliguy
yodaddynukka;90900 wrote:
Outer limits is a great shop also. Are u getting any work from barba?

I’m getting my work done by russ. I read a lot of rave reviews about him and seen some of his work…the guy is great at detailing. But I woudlnt doubt that barba is great too.

#107222
bboarder06
Participant
    @bboarder06

Haha yup that’s where I work. Crazy coincidence. I think I overheard you and russ talking about it the other day. He’ll kill it. That shit is right up his alley.

#107385
Plague
Participant
    @plague
bboarder06;90947 wrote:
Haha yup that’s where I work. Crazy coincidence. I think I overheard you and russ talking about it the other day. He’ll kill it. That shit is right up his alley.

Wow, that is a crazy coincidence! Good Luck with the tat and post some pics when done! 🙂

#107393
bboarder06
Participant
    @bboarder06

Figured I’d spill the news because after what happened at the shop I don’t know if caliguy will be back on here talking about it. So, after Russ completely freehanded the design onto caliguys forearm, and literally seconds away from beginning the tattoo, he decided to bail because he had to think about it some more. Kind of a bummer because i know Russ was super stoked on the idea because skulls are his thing. IMHO, cali made a huge mistake and hopefully he changes his mind and decides to come back to actually get it done.

#107394
caliguy
Participant
    @caliguy
bboarder06;91138 wrote:
Figured I’d spill the news because after what happened at the shop I don’t know if caliguy will be back on here talking about it. So, after Russ completely freehanded the design onto caliguys forearm, and literally seconds away from beginning the tattoo, he decided to bail because he had to think about it some more. Kind of a bummer because i know Russ was super stoked on the idea because skulls are his thing. IMHO, cali made a huge mistake and hopefully he changes his mind and decides to come back to actually get it done.

i respect your opinion bboarder but i wasn’t comfortable getting the tat he designed and i feel really relieved that i didn’t go through with it.

heres what happened… russ (the tat artist) and i weren’t seeing eye to eye on the tat. i specifically told him before he free-handed the design on my arm that i didn’t want the tat to cover the top of my forearm. i wanted it to be mainly be an inner arm tattoo but i was ok if it it curved around some. when he finished the sketch, most of my forearm was covered…the tat was bigger than i wanted it to be and i wasn’t comfortable with that. i asked him if he could make it smaller and he said no. he also changed some of the details that i really liked about tat pic i posted here. i wanted minor changes but he was looking for a major overhaul. he wanted to make it his own.

in a way, i can see where russ was coming from…perhaps he feels that he makes his skulls best when they’re relatively big…and i’m sure his work would’ve been stellar but it just wasn’t what i wanted.

i really was trying to go along with it and hoping that it would turn out to my liking but just about when he was finished preparing, i realized that it wouldn’t be smart for me to take that chance. i backed out and said that i would compensate him for his time. he agreed with me that i shouldn’t do it if i’m not 100% on board with it.

#107399
bboarder06
Participant
    @bboarder06

The only issue I have with your reasoning is that a forearm tattoo with the amount of elements (and resulting size) that you wanted will inevitably end up crossing onto the top of your forearm. I’m sure Russ explained to you how your skin has elasticity like a rubber band, so that what seems to lie only on your inner forearm with your arm laid out flat changes once you drop your arm to your side. I think that makes sense haha.
Just wondering, why does it matter if it slightly goes onto your outer forearm? You are already getting your forearm tattooed. It’s not like you can hide your inner forearm while leaving your outer forearm uncovered. I believe you said you wanted a piece that could stand alone, so you’ll have to wear long sleeves to cover it regardless, so I don’t really see how it matters.
As for the details, no artist is going to copy another artists’ work. From what I heard, there were certain details you wanted that were pulled straight from the reference picture. You came to Russ because you liked his work, so of course he is going to make it his own.
And as for the sizing, he drew it on you so that it fits your body and is aesthetically pleasing. He can’t exactly wipe you down and apply a smaller stencil. He probably said no for those reasons, also because he spent all that time drawing on you just for you to want to make it a little smaller, which would mean he would have to start all over. Might not be the end of the world, but still haha.
Oh well though, in the end the tattoo didn’t happen which is a bummer, but kudos for paying him for the time he spent working on you. Some assholes would of just said no and left.

#107404
caliguy
Participant
    @caliguy
bboarder06;91144 wrote:
The only issue I have with your reasoning is that a forearm tattoo with the amount of elements (and resulting size) that you wanted will inevitably end up crossing onto the top of your forearm. I’m sure Russ explained to you how your skin has elasticity like a rubber band, so that what seems to lie only on your inner forearm with your arm laid out flat changes on