msmercury
Participant
@msmercury

thank you, KnightHawk. I guess it is okay for me to swim, then. I’m pretty protective of my tattoo and wonder about every little thing I do.

BigZach
Participant
@bigzach

Same goes for me, I always put sunscreen on or just wear a shirt whenever I’m outside..

I’ve seen some old tattoos on people who haven’t taken care of them in the sun, and they look like cancer

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

It’s pretty hard to break a tattoo.
But the big killer is Mr. Sun and his evil twin Mr. Sunbed.

Adler
Participant
@adler

I really should do a better job protecting the tattoos on my arms from the sun but I’m too stubborn. I ride my motorcycle a lot and often wear sleeveless shirts and although I always use lots of sunscreen I’m sure my arm tattoos won’t hold up the way they should. That’s one reason I won’t get color tattoos on my arms.

puzzled1
Participant
@puzzled1

Interesting discussion here.

I have two tattoos that are about 15 years old and due to being a cycling fanatic and not always that diligent with sunblock the ink has seen a lot of rays. But, maybe I’m just lucky or maybe ’cause they were done deep there’s been very little fading.

The new sleeve that was just completed, especially the forearm part, will really see a lot of sun given its location so I think I won’t be pushing my luck and will plan a bit more coverage. The blues on the full sleeve are colours that I find particularly attractive and I’d prefer they didn’t fade too much.

Which leads me to ask, do some colours fade more readily than others? I’ve heard that black will fade the least so I’m guessing the darker colours would hold the best.

msmercury
Participant
@msmercury
puzzled1;90796 wrote:
Interesting discussion here.

I have two tattoos that are about 15 years old and due to being a cycling fanatic and not always that diligent with sunblock the ink has seen a lot of rays. But, maybe I’m just lucky or maybe ’cause they were done deep there’s been very little fading.

The new sleeve that was just completed, especially the forearm part, will really see a lot of sun given its location so I think I won’t be pushing my luck and will plan a bit more coverage. The blues on the full sleeve are colours that I find particularly attractive and I’d prefer they didn’t fade too much.

Which leads me to ask, do some colours fade more readily than others? I’ve heard that black will fade the least so I’m guessing the darker colours would hold the best.

I don’t know the answer to your question, but I think you are correct about the darker colors holding up the best.

imperial1904
Participant
@imperial1904

Black ink holds up the best… that’s all I have is black ink. I do want to add color eventually.

My tattoos have been abused and neglected, cuts and scraps all over from work… even got a scar that took out a little bit of ink. But still holds up pretty well after 10+ years. Even when I worked construction, my tattoos were exposed to the elements without sun protection and it’s survived that. Just like buttwheat said, it’s pretty hard to break a tattoo.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.