msmercury
Participant
@msmercury

Just wondering if anyone else out there goes through great lengths to protect their tattoo the way I do. I have a Freddie Mercury tattoo on my right outer calf and I am always afraid of damaging it when I am outside, so, I cover it with a contraption I made when I’m doing yard work or doing heavy cleaning indoors etc. I usually have pants on to cover and protect it when lounging around and I’m just always aware of it there and always trying to be so so so careful. Anyone else do that or worry about damaging theirs? Has anyone actually damaged their tattoo and if so, what happened? Just curious. Perhaps I’m a bit obsessive.

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

While i dont make contraptions to protect my ink, i am pretty obsessive about taking care of my ink. I moisturize daily and always wear sunscreen. I also exfoliate my tattoos once a month after its been fully healed. Tattoos are an investment and life long, so they should be treated as such. Plus they are expensive!!!! Well good ones…

imperial1904
Participant
@imperial1904

LOL I don’t go to such extremes. For the first month I do try to keep it “protected” as much as I can because it’s still in the healing process. I’ll avoid using harsh household cleaners, bleach, etc.

After the healing process you don’t really need to keep it protected while lounging around… the ink will still be there lol.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

I am obsessive about them during the healing process and a bit extra cautious for a couple weeks after. After that though, I don’t put too much thought into protecting them. I have been very careful about keeping my B&G portrait tat on my upper arm out of the sun though.

msmercury
Participant
@msmercury

Thanks for the reply. I do moisturize as well. I’ve only been wearing shorts outside in the evenings. I have yet to expose my tattoo outdoors during the day, but once I start sitting outside more in the daytime, I will use plenty of sunscreen and probably throw a thick white towel over my leg too. I’ve also been afraid of swimming in a pool. Afraid of the chlorine. Wonder if it will fade it. Yeah, they sure are expensive, but worth it. I just love my Freddie Mercury tattoo. I could never duplicate this work of art should anything ever happen to it. Again, many thanks for the reply!

msmercury
Participant
@msmercury

Hello Imperial1904,
LOL, I’m laughing so hard at your reply. It really tickled me. Yeah, I guess I’m just obsessive anyway, but I am so crazy mad about my Freddie Mercury tattoo I cannot help myself. Thanks for replying and I too avoid anything harsh and when I am walking around anywhere I am always watching my right leg. I don’t let anyone or anything come near it! Especially those nuts in the grocery store with their shopping carts trying to push me down the aisles! I’m thinking about insuring my leg. LOL.

msmercury
Participant
@msmercury

Yodaddynukka, thank you for your reply. I guess we’re sort of kindred spirits ~ obsessive over our tats. I saw some of your pics, very nice! I definitely appreciate the fine artwork that went into my tattoo and yes, the expense of it and it was worth the expense. I truly think my tattooer was way underpaid. He did a superb job. I moisturize everyday and extra on days that I’m dry and flaky. Thanks again for the reply!

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
msmercury;87670 wrote:
Hello Imperial1904,
LOL, I’m laughing so hard at your reply. It really tickled me. Yeah, I guess I’m just obsessive anyway, but I am so crazy mad about my Freddie Mercury tattoo I cannot help myself. Thanks for replying and I too avoid anything harsh and when I am walking around anywhere I am always watching my right leg. I don’t let anyone or anything come near it! Especially those nuts in the grocery store with their shopping carts trying to push me down the aisles! I’m thinking about insuring my leg. LOL.

I play rough w/ one of my dogs (70 lb GSD-Lab mix) and he often ends up scratching me during the process. I got a little paranoid the first couple times he scratched my upper arm where my tat is, but the truth is that it’s 4 layers down so you’d have to get nailed pretty good to damage the tat. The moral of the story is: relax. 🙂

msmercury
Participant
@msmercury

D3FiANC3, I have cats, so I am always watching it when they are hanging around my leg, especially if there is a fight going on between two cats. Very scary!

Relax….ok….here goes, deep breath……….Let’s hope this works!

Thanks and have a great evening!:)

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

Sun can fade your ink in the long run, so, yeah, when I go out in the sun I always wear a long t-shirt. Makes me question my own sanity every August.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

imperial1904
Participant
@imperial1904

I don’t use sunscreen too often unless I’m outside for an extended period of time. I have tattoos on my arms that are 10 years old and hasn’t faded much… but they’re all black ink. :p

msmercury
Participant
@msmercury

Thank you for the reply KnightHawk! I’m very afraid of sun on my tattoo. I’m wondering if swimming a chlorinated pool can also fade it. Anyway, I am fanatical about keeping it covered and protected. I’m really glad I found a forum that is actually active. I have entered my tattoo in a contest here in Baltimore through facebook. Have you ever entered yours in a contest before and if so, what was the outcome?

Cheers!:)

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

Chlorine in a pool will only hurt your tattoo while it’s healing, so avoid hot tubs and pools. After it’s healed, though, it’s 100% safe.

I don’t do contests, no. Not my thing.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
yodaddynukka;87661 wrote:
While i dont make contraptions to protect my ink, i am pretty obsessive about taking care of my ink. I moisturize daily and always wear sunscreen. I also exfoliate my tattoos once a month after its been fully healed. Tattoos are an investment and life long, so they should be treated as such. Plus they are expensive!!!! Well good ones…

This…^^^

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

Exfoliating won’t affect the actual tattoo either way, but I imagine it would help keep the colors looking brighter since you are removing dead skin.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.