taffupatree
Participant
@taffupatree

None taken dude…..like i said i know ive done sum bashing of u on this subject.i dnt agree with ur choices but i know there ur choices to make. I respect ur bottle for going through wit em,not many ppl are that determined especially at ur age. Just hope it dosent bite u on the ass. Dnt want things to degrade into a public slanging match so shall we chalk it up to a diffirence of opinion?

GeordieTattooLover
Participant
@geordietattoolover
Sherav;76093 wrote:
Hi Geordie

The thing with tattoos is that whether we like to admit or not it does separate us from many of the mainstream because we have something visible that a non-tattooed person does not have.

They will look some will be curious, other will think we are stupid/thoughtless/criminals etc etc the majority (depending on the culture of the country) will be indifferent.

However the more visible your ink the more you will stand out and many will be nervous about your hand tattoos.

The reason for this is simply a mix of cultural and biological reaction.

Society is only a week or 2 of no food or power away from riots and breakdown where the strongest will survive by taking from the weakest.

Subconciously we are aware that this is the case and always on the look out for danger especially when confronted in a group situiation of strangers eg buses or public transport. This is because the hands are the tool of demise and like animals have warning colours many ppl interpret tattoos in the same way as ‘don’t tread on me’. (Biological survival instinct).

The cultural thing is that to have ‘order’ we need to have a set of normative values which is something everybody agrees on is the ‘right thing or way to act’. (Even if wrong by another culture’s standards it is a generally unspoken way of living).

Getting inked puts us on the edge of that even though it is getting more mainstream there are millions of non-tattooed ppl.

They will see somebody who has done an act that says I am not going to fully conform and I am my own person and yes I paid for this in blood and pain.

The thing ticking in their head is if that person can go through the blood and pain to make that statement and show it visibily – will they be a threat to me because they are different?

Many will think yes (I get it a lot when wearing a vest or at the gym or in the sauna ppl will crowd next to each other than sit near me).

Sadly this is how many are brought upto think that ppl with ink are dangerous or unhinged to get it done in the first place or are ‘tougher’ because we chose to inflict pain on ourselves.

That is why many women get degraded for ink – because there is a certain jealously that they have broken with the norm and got themselves tattooed.

Why do many men think tattooed women are hot? Because they have done something that symbolises an act of will and puts them out from the crowd.

Hand and face tattoos are still very taboo in the UK and will frankly scare the shit out of many ppl – because it is different.

It does not make us monsters but we have to live with the fact that we are showing ourselves as individuals as we get inked for ourselves and only a bonus if others like it.

Take Care
Matthew

Thank you pal at least one person sees it from my point of view being my body, I never wanted this topic to turn into a huge debate on whether or not I should get them I know exactly what I’m wanting done on my face I was just asking will it actually 100% change everybodys opinion on you?

Will having my face done as well as my hands be even more attention as you put it or just basically the same? (both visible)

Also Matthew jobs wise I never want to be a banker, etc etc I want to just work in construction side of jobs or hard-labouring and I don’t see why visible tattoos will stop me from getting them jobs when I ain’t working with the public at all.

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk
GeordieTattooLover;76101 wrote:
Also Matthew jobs wise I never want to be a banker, etc etc I want to just work in construction side of jobs or hard-labouring and I don’t see why visible tattoos will stop me from getting them jobs when I ain’t working with the public at all.

Because you still have to be hired by people. Jobs don’t just magically drop in your lap, you gotta sit down and talk with a mother fucker looking to hire. That dude’s going to look at you and there’s a better than even chance he’s going to see the ink on your face and think you’re an unreliable thug he can’t depend on. While you aren’t one, all he has to go on is first impressions, and with facial ink you won’t make a good one.

Look kid, you keep clinging to the whole “My body, my choice” thing like it’s a goddamn security blanket. The problem is, that argument has nothing to do with the conversation at hand. No one here is your parents. We can’t tell you what to do, and no one here has. What we have done is tell you that you’re making a stupid, stupid, dumb as a sack of hammers choice, and we’ve listed the reasons why. At length. Repeatedly. Spread out over two threads.

Getting your hands tattooed was a bad idea, but getting your face done is going to be like the earthquake in Haiti-a terrible disaster in the short run, whose real cataclysmic consequences won’t be felt for decades to come.

We’re all telling you this because we’ve all been around the bend a bit, and we’re all heavily tattooed. We’ve hung out in the community, and we know the shit you get for visible ink. If I get on an elevator alone with a pretty girl, she’s often times visibly intimated by me. Loss prevention agents tend to follow me around stores. Cops tend to give me shit. So it goes. I knew the consequences of my ink, and I choose to get them, and I don’t regret it.

Tel you what though–take all those negative reactions and ramp them up to like 10,000 and you’ll get an idea on how your life’s gonna be different if you get your face done.

So to sum up all the posts here:

Getting your face tattooed is going to have huge, and completely unforeseeable consequences on your life beyond what we’ve listed. This isn’t an opinion, this is a fact. We’re calling you a dumbass because you’re trying to say that’s not true, even though saying a facial tattoo is going to effect your life is like saying water is wet, or that Kat von D is fucking lame. It’s obvious is what I’m saying.

So do what you want, just act like a fucking adult and realize your actions have consequences.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

taffupatree
Participant
@taffupatree

No one really batted an eyelid when i had my hands wrked on(maybe cuz i had sleeves nehow?) When i had my neck dne it seemed to ramp up the attension…..maybe its above the normal standard for wot ppl expect to see.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

I know of 3 people in the UK with facial tattoos and each one has commented that they do get a lot of visible reaction.

2 of them have fairly small star and tear drop tattoos and another has half of his face and head done in tribal.
They are all great people but yes strangers to do react strongly (usually with fear) when they see them.

Jobs wise – if you do get a facial tattoo it will limit your choices to those mentioned and some employers may ask you outright if you have done time. Some maybe put off others prob won’t give a shit as long as you work.

Again it is the prejudices that many people have about ink.

The Police are also known to come down harder on ppl with facial tattoos because of their prejudice about it and you will frankly get a LOT of staring and comments.

It is really down to you if you want to go ahead but remember facial tattooing is perhaps the last visible taboo as so few people in the UK have it.

Take care
Matthew

shaneslawns
@
GeordieTattooLover;75793 wrote:
I got my hands done on Saturday and now there is some scabbing on them and I’m putting on bepanthen once a day and leaving it – how long will it be before these scabs drop of?

I’ve noticed when I put the bepanthen on some bits of the scab is dropping of is it normal?

Also, will the tattoos look lighter than when I first got them? :rolleyes:

bout three weeks for total healing…scabes comin off r normal…just leave it be….less is more

jmechlin
Participant
@jmechlin

Ok it sounds like your not working in the field yet. (am i right?)

Even in construction more extreme tattoos (face/neck) are not as accepted as you are thinking. My boss hated tattoos and i heard of a few people he loved, but chose not to let on the crew when he was hiring because of their tattoos.

You also seem to think that you have absolutely no contact with the the public in this field. Not the case at all man. You wont have to deal with them as much as retail and similar jobs,but you will still be seen and representing the company. it will very on what kind of construction you go into but the public element is never eliminated from the equation.

Why not just sit on the idea of getting your face done. Find a job, work awhile and see what its like. You can get other pieces done to hold you over. And after some time has passed and if your still set on this career and feel comfortable that you will be able to stick with the company long term, get what you want done to your face.

Not trying to put you down. Just think you should think more long term. I worked in construction for about a year and a half until got laid off. I wasn’t looking to leave the industry at that time, but plans change.

GeordieTattooLover
Participant
@geordietattoolover

Thank you for these posts it’s alot more calmer and I feel people are actually talking to me this time not yelling or slagging me off.

taffupatree indeed we’ll just disagree to agree (doesn’t mean I don’t like you because I hardly know you pal).

jmechlin I have thought about it I was talking to some guy who deals with people on the dole and he basically told me if I get I couldn’t get many jobs face to face but he said that hard-physical labour in warehouses etc, forklift driving, lorry driving, etc etc are still open to me.

But tbh isn’t it discrimination to refuse to give someone a job because of ink…?

Sherav on about doing time… some guy in the pub asked me if I’d been down with just my love/hate tattoos.

I will have photos uploaded with another few days when fully healed it has been now 10 days.

I fully understand it will be life changing but I don’t live life with any regrets my view on life is you only live once and do what you want to do… I don’t stereotype people and people who will do that ain’t really worth talking to anyways because they’re judging a book by a cover which is not right in my opinion.

I know of a handful with face tattoos which are stuff like teardrops, webs, tribals, etc and all seem okay people to me.

Put face tattoos and hand tattoos aside, tbh when you go abroad and take of your top and are heavy inked people judge you then to… no matter where you get a tattoo you’re going to be judged right?

Sherav this is specifically to you since you live in uk and know people with visible tats, if you seen a young guy with a cobweb, spider, cross on his face, love/hate on knuckles, swallows on hands, would you honestly think he had done time?
I thought it was just a teardrop of borstal dot that meant jail…?

I also don’t hold anybodys opinions against them on this subject… everybody is entitled to one.

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

No. It isn’t discrimination to not hire someone because of their tattoos. As for the rest, it just screams of rationalization and missing the damn point. But, whatever. Get your damn tattoo.

For te record, you do know spiderwebs on the face is a white supremacist thing in many places, right?

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi Geordie

If I saw the guy in the UK and he had a spiderweb on his face I would prob think he had done time – simply because here it is still one of those legacy tattoos that means done a lengthy sentence.

That said it would not particularly bother me because I have done time and know how irritating it is for ppl to keep asking about it. That said yes ppl will make the assumption as to whether it makes a difference is something only they can answer.

The tear drops vary but usually the number is the number of sentences or years served.

It can also mean the loss of loved ones if it is an outline only usually means that somebody has died.
If it is half filled in you intend to avenge their death. IE murder the person responsible.
If it is filled in you have killed somebody (usually in revenge for a murder of a loved one).

These sort of tattoos are something that to an outsider is strange and/or frightening but like anything if a person gets to know you then it does not make as much difference.

The key part is getting off the starting blocks with a person if you have this type of ink.

If I am honest the love/hate and sleeves will not really stop most manual jobs (maybe some but not impossible)- get some facial tatts and be expected to answer about prison sentences and such.

Take care
Matthew

taffupatree
Participant
@taffupatree

Thats alright dude.think its just the whole shock factor-he wants to do wot! Id have a pint wit ya and have a chat nehow

GeordieTattooLover
Participant
@geordietattoolover
Sherav;76172 wrote:
Hi Geordie

If I saw the guy in the UK and he had a spiderweb on his face I would prob think he had done time – simply because here it is still one of those legacy tattoos that means done a lengthy sentence.

That said it would not particularly bother me because I have done time and know how irritating it is for ppl to keep asking about it. That said yes ppl will make the assumption as to whether it makes a difference is something only they can answer.

The tear drops vary but usually the number is the number of sentences or years served.

It can also mean the loss of loved ones if it is an outline only usually means that somebody has died.
If it is half filled in you intend to avenge their death. IE murder the person responsible.
If it is filled in you have killed somebody (usually in revenge for a murder of a loved one).

These sort of tattoos are something that to an outsider is strange and/or frightening but like anything if a person gets to know you then it does not make as much difference.

The key part is getting off the starting blocks with a person if you have this type of ink.

If I am honest the love/hate and sleeves will not really stop most manual jobs (maybe some but not impossible)- get some facial tatts and be expected to answer about prison sentences and such.

Take care
Matthew

Answering about prison sentences to employers you mean right?

Also, if you have been sent down before and have a criminal record isn’t that worse than having facial tattoos?

These guys you know Matt that has them – do any have partners? Curiousity has got the better of me to ask. 😀

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi Geordie

Yes I meant employers when they ask about prison sentences.

As for going to prison being worse than a facial tattoo it really depends on a few factors – what you went to prison for, why you committed the crime, how serious the crime was and whether with time the offence becomes spent and you do not need to declare it.

Mine is spent and I do not need to declare it to my employer or future employer and would make no difference even if I did because it is not theft or threat to the general public related and was a long time ago (now spent so can be ignored).

A facial tattoo is permanent so you may have to answer the same question everytime you shift employers because it is a prejudice that they can see.

2 of the 3 I know with facial tattoos do have partners the one with the half tribal does not but he has never expressed an interest in this sort of matter and seems happy living alone.

Take care
Matthew

GeordieTattooLover
Participant
@geordietattoolover

Okay thanks alot for responding Matthew.

Yes I thought you meant employers just verifying that, if people ask would you even bother answering them or tell them to sod off/mind own business type of attitude?

I even got asked in the pub if I served time for the love/hate tattoo – is it actually that connected that bad to prisons/criminals/thugs?

I’m no angel and have been in trouble with police but not done time I didn’t realise people instantly think that?

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi Geordie

The issue is really that many ppl have pre-formed ideas about what a criminal looks like. For many it is linked to hands. face, and neck tattoos.

Does not mean they are always right but that is the prejudice that is there. The love/hate is a common diy tattoo in prisons – lets face it you got nothing but time to kill many will tattoo themselves and others with a home made kit.

As for me I really don’t mind ppl asking me – I felt justified in what I did. Long story short my mother worked in a supermarket and served alcohol. She refused to serve a drunk guy known in our area.

After she finished work he walked up to her and spat in her face. I gave him a slapping around and got a suspended sentence.

Later on as part of his ‘revenge’ he pissed on my brother’s grave and was boasting to his friends in the local pub what he had done. When I found out I confronted him and he admitted it and laughed in my face saying ‘you can’t do anything – touch me you goto prison!’.

I weighed up my options and gave him a kicking and got sent down.

This was a long time ago and was a short sentence so it is now spent and most ppl would not even associate myself as capable of something like that (I changed my attitude and moved on with my life).

However ppl often just make assumptions based on what they see and not what they know about you. That is why ppl are suggesting holding back for a while on the face tattoo. Often a lot do not see beyond the immediate and employment first impressions mean everything.

Take care
Matthew

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.