Greyhound
Participant
@greyhound
killadore;61617 wrote:
That depends on how large you want the design to be. If I could get some measurements of the space on your arm that you want covered, I can give you an approximate price. For a half sleeve I usually go with around $200, if it has to be in a realistic style with a lot of little details!

Sorry that is way more than I can afford just for something that I don’t for sure I will like.

How exactly would an arrangement like this work anyway? How do we know how to trust one another?

Do you have any examples of sleeve designs you have already done?

killadore
Participant
@killadore

Well, I usually do this kind of jobs via email. First we agree on what the motif is. In your case it would obviously be a greyhound and in the case of a larger tattoo like a sleeve, I usually ask some questions about what kind of style the tattoo should be in and try to find other objects or symbols to incorporate in the image. I think tattoos should be completely unique and personal so it’s important to me that my clients approve every step of the way and have the opportunity to influence what’s going to be on their bodies for the rest of their lives. I’ve also done a lot of research on symbols in tattoos, so you’re less likely to end up with something that has a meaning you weren’t counting on.

When we have a somewhat clear idea of what the motif should have in it, I start drawing. During the drawing process I send small, watermarked versions of the drawing so you can see how it develops and can point out any changes you want to have done. That way I can also add things as we go along without having to redo the whole piece. So you get a guarantee that I’m working on your design and that it’s going to be something you like and I get a guarantee in form of a down payment at the start of the project. Once the design is finished and you’re 100% satisfied with it, I ask for the rest of the money and transfer the finished, fullsize design to you via email. Generally if clients don’t give me deadlines, I’m free to work on design projects for as long as I have to. So paying a great load of money at once isn’t something you’d have to worry about.

I don’t have any photos of sleeves my clients have done in the past. I’ve only done a couple and they’re not finished yet, and a part of my policy is that to keep every tattoo design unique to each person I don’t show my work to others until my clients have got it made and give me permission.
I do have designs that some of my clients allowed me to post in my gallery though.
This is an upper backpiece that’s supposed to flow all the way to the front of the shoulders: http://killadore.deviantart.com/art/The-Cellist-91041484
And someone I know is looking to get this artwork of mine done as a backpiece: http://killadore.deviantart.com/art/Embrace-48116002
Other examples of artwork I’ve done: http://killadore.deviantart.com/art/Artemisia-Absinthium-version2-118060975
http://killadore.deviantart.com/art/Roboerotica-74055573
http://killadore.deviantart.com/art/Goodbye-58510315

Hope that was explanation enough ๐Ÿ™‚
Anyway, I totally understand if it’s too expensive, I’m a student myself. But if you change your mind, send me a message

Greyhound
Participant
@greyhound

Ok, that sounds reasonable.

$200 is not something I can afford right now, not on top of what the tattoo would cost anyway, but you are clearly a talented drawer and artist, so I will keep you in mind.

If you ever feel like doing me a free sample, then great ๐Ÿ˜‰

Off topic, 1987, great year to be born ๐Ÿ˜€

killadore
Participant
@killadore

haha, indeed ’87 was a great year..from what I hear anyway, I wasn’t aware of much back then! You were born back then too?

Oh and the down payment would probably be somewhere around $60, if that makes it a bit more affordable ๐Ÿ˜› But good luck with the tattoo! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Greyhound
Participant
@greyhound

Yeah, born in 87 also.

The concern for me is that you design something, that might not be what I like, but I am ultimately obliged to pay you as you have still done the work. I know you said you would show me parts as you do it, and I can make changes but it is still a concern for me. If I had plenty of money I would have paid you already, as I know what things I want in the tattoo but I don’t have the creative skill or mind to put it together.

Someone to do the design for me is pretty much what I want, but as already mentioned a few times, money is the barrier preventing it.

Out of curiosity did you already have an idea in mind of what you would want to do for my theme?

killadore
Participant
@killadore

Oh, well you could change your mind about the design anytime. If there’s something you suddenly feel you don’t wanna include in the design, you could always tell me and I’d change that for you. Since I draw digitally most of the time, altering the image is much easier than if I would do it on paper.
I call the drawing done when you can honestly say you’re 100% satisfied with it. I do realize it’s a lot of money and I don’t think it would be fair to ask for it if you didn’t feel happy with the design in the end! ๐Ÿ™‚

About your greyhound, I think it would be a good idea to draw it from the side, maybe in a running position, because greyhounds have really gorgeous side profiles. If you want to do an Asian theme an idea could be to do an asian backdrop with mountains or clouds or even cherry blossoms. This all depends on what kind of style you like and what you’d want to say with the tattoo.
Another idea could be to have a sitting greyhound facing one direction with a human sitting beside it or behind it, facing the other direction. And then again some form of background with a pattern or a scene

Greyhound
Participant
@greyhound

See your, way better at this than me.

Greyhounds can’t sit though, or at least it is rare.

I like the idea though, possibly with the angel instead of human, like one of the pictures I posted, although wouldn’t an asian theme be different from those with angels? I’m not sure I have ever seen the two combined. I also really like Tajen’s tattoo here. http://www.thetattooforum.com/got-my-5th-and-so-far-t14726.html

See How indecisive I am?

Ah, this is difficult. I think I might start saving for you to do this for me.

killadore
Participant
@killadore

Yeah I’ve never seen an angel in Asian style either ๐Ÿ˜›
Hmmm..well it might be possible to do a geisha angel type of thing? That way it could still have an Asian-inspired style. Otherwise you could also drop the Asian theme and go with normal realism.

Greyhound
Participant
@greyhound

I don’t think I will know exactly what I wan until I see something drawn up.

killadore
Participant
@killadore

Yep, I know how that goes. ๐Ÿ™‚ Well if you ever decide to order this design, here’s my email:
mariam.zakarian@hotmail.com

Time for me to work on some new paintings!

Greyhound
Participant
@greyhound

I don’t mind paying a small fee, to have you design something to show me without sending me the full design. Then perhaps if I do like what you have done you could keep the designs until I can raise some more money.

I am interested to see what you can come up with. Another potential problem though is that you design something that I like, pay for it only for a tattoo artist to say it isn’t really suitable for tattooing my arm.

Would you need measurements of my arm?

killadore
Participant
@killadore

Tell you what, in that case I can do a rough sketch for you of what it could possibly look like for $15. Then if you like it, you can hire me to do the whole design ๐Ÿ™‚ How’s that sound?

Yeah, I’d need measurements of your arm. Length and upper and lower diametre. It would also be a good idea to provide me with a couple of pictures so I know what the design might look like once wrapped around your arm.

Greyhound
Participant
@greyhound

Ok, I’ll get back to you through email. Then we can sort something out.

killadore
Participant
@killadore

Cool ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ll be looking forward to that then

killadore
Participant
@killadore

Hey again
Just wanted to let you know in case you sent something, it hasn’t reached me. Haven’t got any new emails :/

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.