Tajen
Participant
@tajen

I love that picture you found; agree it would make a really nice forearm tattoo.:)

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

It is possible to replace the animal in a Japanese style but if it is very traditional it will have an almost cartoon look (big eyes long limbs etc).

More contemporary Japanese pieces are less cartoon like but both contain some of the 4 elements (earth air, fire or water) as a backdrop.

Floral (blossoms, lillies, etc) do tend to be optional.

You could always go along the lines of a greyhound in the form of a foo dog style

http://www.tattoosymbol.com/gallery/foo-dog-big.jpg

http://www.tattoosymbol.com/articles/foo-dog.jpg

With some wind bars around it.

However I think the design will work much better as a black n shade portrait in realism style.

Take Care
Matthew

Greyhound
Participant
@greyhound

Thanks for the replies, some interesting ideas.

I don’t want anything cartoon like.

I don’t want it to be about greyhound racing, or about them just being good pets. I love that they are an ancient breed and are like an ultimate companion to man throughout the ages.

The Egyptians had them the Greeks had them and the English Kings had them. They are also the only breed of dog mentioned by name in the bible.

I want the design to show them as noble animals as a companion to man.

Are there any particular symbols or pictures that are common in tattooing that symbolise companionship or friendship that I could use to make the tattoo into a half sleeve?

I like the way the foo dogs are tattooed on the arm, but I am not sure if a greyhound done in that way would look to cartoony.

I am asking for too much?

Thanks.

Apriltg
Participant
@apriltg

If you want the noble/loyal feel I would suggest not making it cartoony at all. You mentioned that the Egyptians had them. Why not put one in front of an Egyptian styled background with some things like temples, pyramids, and maybe Egyptian warrior’s worked in. That could portray nobility and loyalty and look really sweet IMO.

Greyhound
Participant
@greyhound

I found this image which I like, maybe an artist can make a look a bit better?
126178150v6480x480front.jpg

Greyhound
Participant
@greyhound

angel3t.jpg

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

The design is great and I love the picture.

However to get that much detail in the piece you are going to have to go big even if you just have the dog standing alone.

It will make an awesome tattoo though!

Take care
Matthew

Greyhound
Participant
@greyhound

I only want my tattoo to be on my arm, do you think that could work?

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Yes because it can wrap around and flow rather than being scrunched into a small space.

The artist will be able to make it fit the shape of your body I was just saying don’t try to cram something that complex into a small area.

Take Care
Matthew

vizzielover
Participant
@vizzielover

I really like the first angel/ grehound picture that you posted, have you decided on a design?

I have a freind up in the Highlands who rehomes lurchers, she has 4 of her own too, they are very sweet. I did Boxer Rescue for 24 years and spent most of those years stressed out. Credit to you, I know how hard it is to find , not just good homes, but the excellent homes these dogs deserve.

killadore
Participant
@killadore

I’m an artist that specializes in designing tattoos among other things, so if you need any help with making your vision come to life, I can help you out
My portfolio’s here: http://mariam-zakarian.daportfolio.com/

As for the greyhound idea, they’re very elegant dogs and I think it would be possible to create something pretty unique and classy with that motif

Greyhound
Participant
@greyhound
Sherav;61556 wrote:
Yes because it can wrap around and flow rather than being scrunched into a small space.

The artist will be able to make it fit the shape of your body I was just saying don’t try to cram something that complex into a small area.

Take Care
Matthew

Ok, thanks I am happy to have a design go from my shoulder to my elbow, but I don’t mind if it has to go a little below my elbow.

vizzielover;61573 wrote:
I really like the first angel/ grehound picture that you posted, have you decided on a design?

I have a freind up in the Highlands who rehomes lurchers, she has 4 of her own too, they are very sweet. I did Boxer Rescue for 24 years and spent most of those years stressed out. Credit to you, I know how hard it is to find , not just good homes, but the excellent homes these dogs deserve.

They are beautiful animals, I am very fond of Lurchers as well, all sighthounds really. I would like both pictures if possible, and anything else I can fit in, I thought maybe the flowers and butterflies in the second picture could help it flow into a sleeve, but I’ll be honest I don’t know a lot about tattoo designing, so I will have to speak to an artist with some experience.

I was also looking and maybe symbolising companionship and loyalty, possibly in kanji, but maybe that wouldn’t fit in with the style, so I have been looking at other ways to symbolise these two characteristics. I also wanted to include something to represent the dogs that I have lost over the years, but I don’t know if I am trying to fit too much in.

killadore;61580 wrote:
I’m an artist that specializes in designing tattoos among other things, so if you need any help with making your vision come to life, I can help you out
My portfolio’s here: http://mariam-zakarian.daportfolio.com/

As for the greyhound idea, they’re very elegant dogs and I think it would be possible to create something pretty unique and classy with that motif

I think I need a lot of help. lol.

Thanks again

killadore
Participant
@killadore

A kanji could definitely fit with the design if the picture itself is done in a style that looks kinda Asian.
If you want me to draw you a design, I can do that. It can be based on the pictures you’ve found or it can be something completely new and unique for you.
Send me an email if you’re interested in my services! ๐Ÿ™‚

mariam.zakarian@hotmail.com

Greyhound
Participant
@greyhound
killadore;61587 wrote:
A kanji could definitely fit with the design if the picture itself is done in a style that looks kinda Asian.
If you want me to draw you a design, I can do that. It can be based on the pictures you’ve found or it can be something completely new and unique for you.
Send me an email if you’re interested in my services! ๐Ÿ™‚

mariam.zakarian@hotmail.com

I could be, but I am a skint 22 year old. So it depends what your services cost.

killadore
Participant
@killadore

That depends on how large you want the design to be. If I could get some measurements of the space on your arm that you want covered, I can give you an approximate price. For a half sleeve I usually go with around $200, if it has to be in a realistic style with a lot of little details!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.