Aussie_Al
    Participant
    @aussie_al

Very true and well said 🙂

Claire
    Participant
    @claire

Leviticus 19:28, “Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.”

This passage actually originally refers to pagan funerary practices and has been altered and misused over the years to refer to tattooin which has alternately been encouraged by, or banned by the church according to it’s usefullness at the time
    The intent of the message was to discourage non-christian methods of disposing of the dead which may have included destruction of the body which would have been necessary to preserve for the afterlife. dismemberment and feeding the corpse to vultures would leave the soul with no body to return to.

When people remark to me about tattoos being “un-christian” citing the coptic tradition of tattooing pilgrims is a good rebuttal. Many early European pilgrims had a rooster or jerusalem cross tattooed on them by the coptic Christians to prove that they had truly been to the holy land.

Aussie_Al
    Participant
    @aussie_al
    Claire;60833 wrote:
    Leviticus 19:28, “Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.”

This passage actually originally refers to pagan funerary practices and has been altered and misused over the years to refer to tattooin which has alternately been encouraged by, or banned by the church according to it’s usefullness at the time
    The intent of the message was to discourage non-christian methods of disposing of the dead which may have included destruction of the body which would have been necessary to preserve for the afterlife. dismemberment and feeding the corpse to vultures would leave the soul with no body to return to.

When people remark to me about tattoos being “un-christian” citing the coptic tradition of tattooing pilgrims is a good rebuttal. Many early European pilgrims had a rooster or jerusalem cross tattooed on them by the coptic Christians to prove that they had truly been to the holy land.

Thanks for posting this – pretty cool

While I am not a christian by any stretch of the imagination I like to read about this kind of stuff 😉

Claire
    Participant
    @claire

thanks, I think it’s pretty interesting too. I helped a student with a research paper and learned some pretty neat stuff about tattooing throughout history.

Bodhisurfer
    Participant
    @bodhisurfer
    Butterfly;48815 wrote:
    Well im a practicing buddhist so all my tattoos are gilt free 😀

but in my opinion , i can not honestly feel that you could be classed as a bad christian just because you had tattoos ! and the guy that came and preached to you should maybe look up some scripture’s on not judging others ??

Tana

says it for me

Aussie_Al
    Participant
    @aussie_al
    Claire;60923 wrote:
    thanks, I think it’s pretty interesting too. I helped a student with a research paper and learned some pretty neat stuff about tattooing throughout history.

Cool! Did you read much stuff on the Picts?

I have read different accounts where some say they tattooed themselves and other say they only used war paint

voodookat
    Participant
    @voodookat

I’m spiritual but not religious. I think that is a very, intimate and personal choice. We all celebrate it in the way we feel works best for us. The ones who judge and point fingers are lost and confused lol. If you want ink, have at it, discuss with the Lord when the day comes.

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.