ontwo
Participant
@ontwo

The green one. Works wonders on the scrotum. (probably could have left that part out) Anyway

The Mighty Ming
Participant
@the-mighty-ming

I shaved my arm before getting inked and the hair came off so easily, compared to facial hair anyway. 5mins is all it takes to shave your arm with a disposable blade once a week in the shower and you’re grand.
Saying that though, everyone’s skin/hair is different. If my dad were to remove his arm hair he’d need molecular acid and some sandpaper to remove his hair!

ryannnnn
Participant
@ryannnnn

I started shaving my arm because it’s kinda hairy and the tat looks better without the hair. Anyone try nair on their tatted skin??

American Idol
Participant
@american-idol
Bdubbs;61908 wrote:
LOL, ok. So my artist was preparing my arm for more ink work, and hes like “dude you got hairy ass arms!” He thinks tattoos look better without all that hair, which I agree. He said he’ll shave his arms a bit once in awhile in the shower. He also said anther artist there has waxed his arms before. Anyone else do it?

Currently I don’t have any tattoos but I used to shave my hair off my back and everywhere else but that was back when I was super concerned about body image so much so that I was a gym rat for many years including one year where I used steroids cause I didn’t have confidence and because I had / have muscle dysmorphia which is reverse anorexia. A famous trainer who trained movies stars at his gym once said that without naming names almost all his famous clients have low self esteem and a bad image of their body and if they didn’t he’d be out of business that’s what he said. I’ve made love with women sans hair and with hair and have found that many women don’t give a rats ass about body hair on a man especially hot foreign women from Mexico, Italy, etc, I live in San Diego near the beach where there are tourists aplenty. When I was a hardened gym rat of course I heard the saying ‘It’s a persons personality that counts most’ but that didn’t really sink in until I got older and now my inner game is stronger, stronger than my physicality come to think of it though I’m still strong on the outside. The amount of weight that I could bench press used to mean the world to me now it means nothing which for me is a fantastic accomplishment for someone who grew up thinking negatively about their body.

NeckTattoosRock
Participant
@necktattoosrock

don’t start shaving your arms cuz it will be all stubbly and come back thicker. Waxing is definitely the way to go. You can just by some strips and do it yourself. It’s not painful and it makes the hair grow back way thinner.
If you aren’t into either get one of those manscaping devices that just thins out your hair.

American Idol
Participant
@american-idol
NeckTattoosRock;65694 wrote:
If you aren’t into either get one of those manscaping devices that just thins out your hair.

That description is a little general other than a razor and a punk rock band what exactly is a manscape device that thins out hair?
http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oGk0wkVcJLHngBwYCl87UF;_ylc=X1MDMjE0MjQ3ODk0OARfcgMyBGZyA3NmcARuX2dwcwMwBG9yaWdpbgNzeWMEcXVlcnkDbWFuc2NhcGUEc2FvAzI-?p=manscape&fr=sfp&fr2=&iscqry=

bertox
Participant
@bertox

Shaving is no big deal, and it keeps your skin from getting dried out and cruddy lookin ( provided you lotion it). No, it doesn’t come back thicker. I’ve tried waxing- didn’t work for me. Too many hairs broke off, too many follicles bled, too many got generally f’d up. I know waxing is great for women, and probably men with finer hair- but I’m a hairy S.O.B.. Really thick, coarse ( read: not conducive to the bulbous root being RIPPED through the skin). If you’re gonna try waxing, definitely try it on your other ( non-inked) arm and give it a week to check your reaction.

Yellowbeard
Participant
@yellowbeard
ontwo;62329 wrote:
The green one. Works wonders on the scrotum. (probably could have left that part out) Anyway

Just don’t leave it on too long. Ask me how I know…

🙁

kryptonite
Participant
@kryptonite

i shave my arms, i have very little hair there and also i dont have any lower ink(just yet, im working on a half sleeve to finish my right side). ink just looks better when not disturbed with lots of hair. my tattooist(a hot chick), confessed that its the worst part of her job as she has a slight hair fobia.. we got on the subject couse she noticed i shave my leg before i get there for her to do work on me. i have 5 peices on both my legs, so she has thanked me.. i do not shave my legs thou on the regular. there is just some demasculating about that. my hair is thin so it dont bother me.. waxing is better, but takes more time. shaving sometimes gives me a few bumps or ingrowns.

shave on.

Slappy13
Participant
@slappy13
kryptonite;79509 wrote:
i shave my arms, i have very little hair there and also i dont have any lower ink(just yet, im working on a half sleeve to finish my right side). ink just looks better when not disturbed with lots of hair. my tattooist(a hot chick), confessed that its the worst part of her job as she has a slight hair fobia.. we got on the subject couse she noticed i shave my leg before i get there for her to do work on me. i have 5 peices on both my legs, so she has thanked me.. i do not shave my legs thou on the regular. there is just some demasculating about that. my hair is thin so it dont bother me.. waxing is better, but takes more time. shaving sometimes gives me a few bumps or ingrowns.

shave on.

Maybe it’s different for different people but it has seemed to me that after shaving before getting tattooed using a antibiotic spray like Bactine seems to prevent ingorwn hairs. At least one’s that get sore and stuff. I have 2 full sleeves and still can’t bring myself to shave my arms because 1) I have skinny arms lol and 2) they are kinda hairy so I’d have to shave the back of my hands and fingers to or else it looks like a kids arm with big foots hairy ass hand.

maniacthw
Participant
@maniacthw

I used to shave my arms. It just took too much time to continue doing. Also, shaving around my elbows is extremely hard for me to do.

kcgreyhound
Participant
@kcgreyhound

I read through the five pages, but didn’t see the answer to this. Is getting waxed over a tattoo harmful in any way to the tat? I shave my upper arms over my current ink, and it always seems I get ingrown hairs and such, and that’s just not fun. Now I’m planning on extending to full sleeve, and I sure don’t want to shave the whole arm if I get the same result.

Also, i asked a similar question on another page…but if you have one arm that’s a full sleeve, do you shave both arms so they match? :confused:

Adler
Participant
@adler

As far as I know once you’re fully healed waxing is fine.

Slappy13
Participant
@slappy13
kcgreyhound;106352 wrote:
I read through the five pages, but didn’t see the answer to this. Is getting waxed over a tattoo harmful in any way to the tat? I shave my upper arms over my current ink, and it always seems I get ingrown hairs and such, and that’s just not fun. Now I’m planning on extending to full sleeve, and I sure don’t want to shave the whole arm if I get the same result.

Also, i asked a similar question on another page…but if you have one arm that’s a full sleeve, do you shave both arms so they match? :confused:

I guess whether you shave both arms would be a personal preference. I have two full sleeves and hours of more work and unless I know I’m going to show my tattoos or I’m getting more done within the day I don’t shave anything.

As far as the ingrown hair thing goes are you shaving with a multi-blade razor? Multi-blade razors are known to irritate the skin and cause in grown hairs more than other methods because of how they work. If you check Sally Beauty Supply or CVS they have creams and lotions designed to prevent in grown hairs. I personally don’t have any experience with them but in the future I may try them for certain areas.

REmoKeiTH
Participant
@remokeith

I don’t have super hairy arms, but I love when they feel really smooth. I’ve noticed that when I get my arms waxed, the hair grows back a lot thinner and softer. But the times I’ve shaved them, it grows back the same as it was.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.