mamajess
Participant
@mamajess

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/vince-vaughn-defends-dilemma-g-ay-joke-its-good-thing-22251

Before everyone gets their panties in a bunch, I’d like to say that I don’t condone any type of bullying, and growing up I had my fair share. I had huge boobs (yes EVERYONE made fun of me for it) and I was in band. High school is horrible for probably 80% of kids and a big chunk of that 20% enjoying it, are enjoying it at the expense of others, a little power trip. Truth is, so many people deal with bullying, and there are a select few “groups” who have been outspoken enough to get it to stop or at the very least become alot less socially acceptable. But lets take, for example, the girl who moved from Ireland to the US. She was bullied for her accent and the fact that she dated some bitch’s ex so she made it her goal in life to make this poor girl miserable. The bullying extends way beyond sexual preference. But, how about the “band geeks” and the overweight people and the world of warcraft fanatics? Seems ok to make fun of them to most of the general public, but totally taboo to make any kind of derogatory comment about other groups of people. I disagree with the fact that using “gay” to mean something is dumb or silly is the same as the N word. Considering comedy today and just generally hearing alot of people talk, the word gay seems to be transforming from having anything at all to do with homosexuality to become more of a term to mean goofy or silly. Think of words like cool, radical, sick, pussy, etc. All those words had a completely different meaning once upon a time. To my knowledge, the N word has always had the same meaning – to be derogatory to a specific race of people. Period.

All this being said, I’m pretty sure goldengraemes or however you spell it, was not intentionally attacking a group of people, and while it was an insensitive remark, I think we’re all guilty of being insensitive to others at one time or another. Knighthawk jumped his shit over it and so golden got all first amendment on him.

As far as bullying goes, I mean, God Forbid if someone posts a tribal tattoo on this site. Everyone’s up their ass about it. So let’s all just forget this and tell the dude it might not be his best stoner idea to get headphones tattooed on him and leave it at that.
Just my 2 cents…

seniorminnion
Participant
@seniorminnion

Arni — here in the uk there certainly isn’t an epidemic of suicides because of sexual discrimination ( if there is , then it isn’t being reported as such !) and i’m not about to start to teach two twentysomethings about the origins of a word that is in common usage amongst their age group (in any case – the true meaning of the word has nothing whatsoever to do with homosexuality)
“All over the world being gay is considered quite the taboo” ????? – not in the Uk it isn’t !! -the most popular tv programmes all feature gay characters -and in fact almost every workplace now has equality and diversity rules and laws to such an extent that being in a minority group is positively encouraged.
I’m not belittling gay peoples’ struggles over the years to be accepted, but to make such a big deal about the changing meaning of a word is being over-sensitive in my opinion !
In any case – everyone had differing opiniions, and to automatically call anyone stupid/silly who uses a word to mean something different than your interpretation of it is insulting . After all, 30 years ago didn’t Fred Flintstone have a GAY old time !!!!

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk
seniorminnion;77108 wrote:
Interesting thread – btw, Nighthawk could start an argument in an empty phonebox ! check over his past threads — anyone who disagrees with his point of view is automatically branded a dickhead etc….

Well, considering there’s a phone in a phonebox, yeah, I don’t suppose it’d be that hard, right my man? 😀

But, yes, the sky is blue, Lord Matthew Hull is heavily tattooed, water’s wet, and I’m a contrarian bastard. Any other new flashes for us…..dickhead?

(Edit: upon reflection, I’m not sure it’s clear the whole “Dickhead” thing was in good fun and wasn’t a shot.)

Love. Peace. Metallica.

seniorminnion
Participant
@seniorminnion

LOL — empty -as in nothing in it — not even a phone !! – definately no people !!

– I take your point though – made me smile too !! – and I believe its contrary!

– and no, or maybe even yes, it’s not clear !:D

( Btw – who the fuck is Lord Mathew Hull ?)

goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes
ArniVidar;77132 wrote:
Actually, if you haven’t been paying attention to the news, there has been a recent and disastrous upswing in teen suicides directly because of the homophobia in their societies. All over the world, being gay is still considered quite the taboo and kids are still getting beaten up because of their sexuality. Don’t belittle that fact, and don’t belittle the struggles that the gay community has been working through over the past decades by once again turning the entire concept into a bad thing.

As for your kids using gay to mean crap and rubbish and such, perhaps you should then teach them the true meaning of the word and how to use it… using it in such a derogatory fashion is silly at best.

What I find interesting about this I belong to another forum (car ownership) in which when I log in after one day the post count has increase by 1600-2000 post so a lot of people unlike the possible 20-100 posts/replies on here. I noticed 2 threads in which the word Gay was used out of context and this wasn’t pulled up by anyone as of yet.
I think as a UK citizen it is more common that words get used out of context but also that no one gives a fook that they do either.

Teenage suicide may be on the rise but if someone takes there own life for being called gay or for being gay then has some deep under lying issues that need to be looked at as no one would take their own life for being called something once or a couple of times that upsets them. This would go hand in hand with months of verbal or/and physical bullying.
When I was back in school a lot worse than being called gay happened and no one took their own life in the 5 years of High school.

As mentioned by SeniorMinnion being gay in the uk isn’t something that is a Taboo like back in the day and is more commonly accepted. Maybe the US is a different ball game as being Homosexual or Black in some southern dumb ass Hick states you’d get killed for it, the UK has come along way since the 60’s and 70’s.

I would also like to clear up I don’t have any discrimination against any minority groups or majority groups for that matter apart from Dickheads who get on there high horse and feel the need to defend and attack when things get said they don’t like.

larz
Participant
@larz

wow this whole fuckin arguement is fucking gay. yup i said it, also rediculously retarded. not in the fact that the arguement is a homosexual or that it has downs syndrome or that i disapprove of either of the two. but the fact that a bunch of grown men wanna sit on the internet and pick at eachothers vocabulary instead of just talking about the tattoo. i dont think the headphone tattoo idea is such a good one. i have a few gay friends, one of which calls everything “gay” or “flaming” and calls every man woman and child he doesnt like a “fag” or “homo”
coming from the generation of kids who are all killing themselfs because theyre gay supposedly, i see that people trying to take away someone elses freedom of speech is just empowering people to blame other people. for example. one man kills himself because he got called a fag. was that really the issue? are you gonna let something like that be the death of you? really?
then another man comes along and sees this and decides that no one can say fag anymore.
there fore when someone calls someone a fag again, its alot worse now. its unacceptable.
cmon man what do you think your the fucking jesse jackson for homosexuals? he was just expressing his distaste for something through common terminolgy. every one can grow some thicker skin, weve all been bullied at one point or another, but thats not what this is about, so lets just stay on topic here. sorry if i mispelled anything or if i dont got too good of grammar, my english teacher is a total fag.
just saying.

seniorminnion
Participant
@seniorminnion

Larz

exfuckingzactly ! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes

Thank god I thought it was just me that thought this is overblown and ridiculous.

PandorasJar
Participant
@pandorasjar

Regarding the last few posts it actually is a big problem in the UK.

Also moving on from gay to retard, wow, smooth. Having to care for disabled kids this is one of the comments that pisses me off no end, I suppose it’s meant to be amusing?

larz
Participant
@larz

re read it. like i said. its modern society. quit bitching and stay on the topic at hand.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

I think that everybody has had ample opportunity to put forward their views for and against the 2 issues;

Is the tattoo idea any good or not and whether the use of certain phrases is appropriate use of the English language.

That said I am closing the thread down before it turns into a personal attack thread.

Take care
Matthew

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • The topic ‘Headphones’ is closed to new replies.