Mr.Goodfella
Participant
@mr-goodfella

I had the whole experience all typed out and my computer went bonkers so instead of typing it out all over again I will shorten it up.

A couple months ago I went on the search for an artist to start my sleeve. After talking to a bunch of artists and looking at their work, one jumped out at me. I gave him my ideas and I wanted him to come up with his own version, have control over pretty much everything. He said that this is the first time someone has wanted to do this and he felt great that I picked him to do the work.
First session was 4 hours, outline with black/gray (I feel that he should have had most of the color completed)
Second session was 3 hours, color was supposed to be complete but 1/3 of it got done
Third session he says the color will be completely finished but I don’t think he will pull it off in 4 hours
11 hours total for one shoulder piece, close to $900 later

At the end of the second session I talked to him about his speed and we came up with a set payment per session (still a little more than I want to spend). I asked him if he could price it per piece and he said he wouldn’t do it because of the sleeve being full color and he doesn’t want to under price the work.

I love his work and don’t want to go on the hunt for another artist that has a “close to” style, but I estimate the rest of my arm is going to be around 70-80 hours at his speed. I have one more session until this is complete and I have to make a decision, stay or go.

Here a couple pic’s of what has been done, don’t mind the band and the kanji, it is gonna be covered up with the next piece:

P1000820.jpg

P1000819.jpg

P1000817.jpg

albert1500
Participant
@albert1500

this is looking good man. i’ve never been a fan of this two face style but i can always appreciate art and good work.

that does seem like a little for two sessions and $900 later.

good luck with your decision

Panter
Participant
@panter

It’s only a decision you can make to be honest.
My guy seems slow, by the time mine is finished in a couple of weeks times it’s going to have cost me nearly £3000.00 and it’s not even very big.
Depends if you have the cash and you think he’s worth it?

I like it so far although something about the perspective bothers me a little but then there’s obviously a lot to finish!

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

11 hours? wow he is slow…….I would finish whats there and move onto a different artist to continue my sleeve…….this guy isnt worth sitting for 70 hours

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
mrchen;106133 wrote:
11 hours? Wow he is slow…….i would finish whats there and move onto a different artist to continue my sleeve…….this guy isnt worth sitting for 70 hours

x2
…….

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

As said I would get that piece finished up and extend with another artist. There are some artists who are slower than others but for the amount of time he has spent on it and the level of detail in there (IE not massive intricate), feels like he might be swinging the lead a little.

Interesting piece though and sure it will turn out well.

Take care
Matthew

Mr.Goodfella
Participant
@mr-goodfella

Thank you all for the comments. I made an appointment for Feb. to finish this up so I have some time to make a decision. Even talking with my wife and getting her thoughts, she wants me to stay with him throughout because of 1) she loves his artwork 2) the idea that he came up with from what I gave him for an example 3) his portfolio has the best color work that she had seen in a long time.
He has some other strong points but in the end, snail slow. If it did take the 70 hours to finish this up it would be another $4500 with the session price we came up with, not bad at all for a full color sleeve; on the other hand it should take 70 hours to do a sleeve. We will see in the next couple weeks and after he finishes this piece.
Once again, thanks.

Adler
Participant
@adler
Mr.Goodfella;106245 wrote:
Thank you all for the comments. I made an appointment for Feb. to finish this up so I have some time to make a decision. Even talking with my wife and getting her thoughts, she wants me to stay with him throughout because of 1) she loves his artwork 2) the idea that he came up with from what I gave him for an example 3) his portfolio has the best color work that she had seen in a long time.
He has some other strong points but in the end, snail slow. If it did take the 70 hours to finish this up it would be another $4500 with the session price we came up with, not bad at all for a full color sleeve; on the other hand it should take 70 hours to do a sleeve. We will see in the next couple weeks and after he finishes this piece.
Once again, thanks.

I hope this doesn’t sound rude but does your wife have a trained eye for a good tattooer and does she have tattoos herself? What is she basing her comparisons too? I’d love to know who the artist is and maybe see his portfolio if possible. This tattoo is going on you and not your wife and it’s been said here by tattoo collectors that this artist is nothing spectacular and slow to boot. But anyway, good luck with your decision and future sessions, I hope this finishes up in a timely fashion and looks good.
If you’re getting this in CT, I’m positive I can suggest some better artists if you’re interested.

Marty
Participant
@marty

Sorry but I think you are being ripped off, four hours for a outline!.

Would love to see the detail of one of mrchens tattoos after four hours, im guessing there is going to be a lot more than just an outline.

And sorry chen only mentioned you as youve got some great tats from some great people 🙂

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

The work itself is very clean and he did a good job, but it 11hrs for that little coverage is nuts. On the flipside, 900 dollars for 11hrs for quality work like that is fairly cheap.

SpideyFan
@

It’s better to be patient and get a good tattoo than to be impatient and get a bad tattoo. It’s your responsibility to ask him how long it’s going to take before you get it done. However, you also reserve the right to take your business elsewhere (well, depending on what country you’re in). In that case, do what you want. You don’t need guidance from us. But, apparently, I know nothing, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

m3t4lh3ad
Participant
@m3t4lh3ad

Don’t know how to compare really, as I don’t have the most experience, but my owl piece, which is about 7-8 inches tall by about 3-4 wide and full colour took at most 4 hours over 2 sessions. I think really 11 hours might be a bit much but as has been said before the quality is extremely high and it’s comparitively cheap, the owl cost me about £280, which is about $400. It’s your call but I’d go with quality over speed every time.

Have a look at the owl:
http://www.thetattooforum.com/album.php?albumid=5032

kitty145684
Participant
@kitty145684

Im not an expert or anything but he seems to be very slow…. it would send me insane.

My tattooist is a perfectionist and i think is a lil bit slow at times but my big tattoo, which is full colour only took 4 hours.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.