stickagum
Participant
@stickagum

Hey everybody.

I basically want to black out my heels.

Not surprisingly, I can’t find much info about heel tattoos. For anyone interested, this is symbolic of personal grounding.

But what can I expect with a block tattoo on my heels? Longer healing? Any special considerations? Should I expect to have to redo it within a couple years? I’ve done a little reading but this will be my first tattoo so any advice from the experts is hugely appreciated.

And.. does anyone have a pic of something like this?

Thanks, everybody. I really appreciate it.

And if anyone wants to doodle, here are my feet 🙂

http://i.imgur.com/NIn4y.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/aUc3f.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/wFHqj.jpg

kryptonite
Participant
@kryptonite

wow. love the concept of this.. super great. it depends on what you expect from this. the skin on your palms and feet are regenarative, they shed. i saw the hand tattoo of my brothers fade out in less then 12 months. he’s a pencil pusher. i could only imagine what the bottom of a foot would look like in 2 years. on something like this i would wait for better opinions. its a really great concept. good luck.

BigZach
Participant
@bigzach

Are you talking about the bottom of your feet? Or around the achilles tendon?

I have never seen a tattoo on the bottom of a persons foot.. And I think there is a good reason.

Tattoos that are placed in areas that experience a lot of wear and tear or friction will wear quickly.

I think that you should try and find a different image to represent personal grounding, it will just take some research.

You have a great idea that is very unique, but I think there are better ways to go than on the bottom of your feet. Especially all black.

Zach

stickagum
Participant
@stickagum

Thank you, dude. I appreciate it.

I’m pretty much expecting the heel itself to wear/fade, but to what extent and how quickly, I don’t know…

stickagum
Participant
@stickagum

Thanks, man. Yeah… bear in mind this is just shitty MSPaint illustration, but this would be sorta what I had in mind. The pic I did of the bottom of my foot in the original post was just sorta brainstorming. I don’t much care what it looks like down there but imagined it would end up sorta like that… given the arch of the foot and whatnot.

http://i.imgur.com/dlpiG.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QkLNY.jpg

Thanks for the input, man.

Adler
Participant
@adler

Sorry to be so blunt but I think this idea sucks. It will look and heal like shit and not last at all. I get the concept but you’ve got to be able to come up with something more practical. If you’re going to pay to get a tattoo I’d think you’d want something that might last a little while. Of course that’s just my opinion so get whatever the hell you want.

stickagum
Participant
@stickagum

Well, I mean.. that’s why I’m here, dude. Can you give me a heads up on how to let something like this heal correctly? How long it might take? I said it’s my first tattoo so… any info is good info as long as it helps me understand the process a little better. And… I don’t fully expect the bottom of the heel to last. Moreover, I expect I’ll find some value in walking through/wearing out something as permanent as a tattoo. So… I’m pretty alright with that.

And thanks for your input.

Adler
Participant
@adler

To be honest I’m not even sure a lot of artists would even do this, just like some won’t do palms and bottom of feet since they don’t last. You would almost literally have to stay off your feet for more than a few days since any rubbing or friction will effect the healing process. I even wonder how well that area would accept the ink in the first place. I don’t think the ink will last so it will be uneven and blotchy and a waste of money. Seriously, reconsider this, I really think you’ll regret it. Come up with another image to represent your “grounded”, even if it’s a tattoo of feet in the ground placed somewhere else on your body. Or get something on the top of the feet which isn’t all that great either but much better than the heels. Your best bet is to talk to an artist though and get their opinion.

BigZach
Participant
@bigzach
stickagum;79521 wrote:

Well, I mean.. that’s why I’m here, dude. Can you give me a heads up on how to let something like this heal correctly? How long it might take? I said it’s my first tattoo so… any info is good info as long as it helps me understand the process a little better. And… I don’t fully expect the bottom of the heel to last. Moreover, I expect I’ll find some value in walking through/wearing out something as permanent as a tattoo. So… I’m pretty alright with that.

And thanks for your input.

The healing isn’t what you should be worried about. For the entire process it usually takes about a week to heal fully. With any tattoo, washing it and applying a healing ointment is critical. Wash with warm water and soap, at least twice a day and apply healing ointment when needed.

But with this tattoo, the only thing that will last is the bit on your achillies area, and I am unsure on how stuck with your idea or not, but in my mind it won’t look good. You will be stuck with black ankles for the rest of your life, and the areas that fade quickly, like the bottom of your foot will turn gray.

I am not sure if by “wearing out something as permanent as a tattoo” means that you strive to do damage to your ink? If so, that is not what tattoos are about.

I know that what people think about your tattoos doesn’t matter, but if people saw yours they may think that there is something wrong with your feet until you explain to them that it’s a tattoo. If you thought this through more and went with an actual image strategically placed on your body, it would turn out a hell of a lot better. Like I was saying before, it will take time and research, but with something that lasts the rest of your life give it as much time as needed.

Your idea of getting a tattoo for personal grounding is great, rethink your design, please.

Zach

kryptonite
Participant
@kryptonite

i do kind of agree with “adler” i think that ink is permanent and putting it in a place where you know damn well its going to fade is not really practical. if you look at the side of your foot, you will see where the skin changes, from the skin that regenerates to the “good” skin. that will be the line that will fade very quickly. keeping ink above that line is your best bet. again, im no pro, but my bro has a simular problem with his palm/fingure tattoo.( he new it would fade, but he’s running out of space and they where bored) i do like the concept, keeping yourself grounded.. i also feel what you are trying to do, as i went thru the need for a foot tattoo. i have “run forever, die tired” on the top of my foot. i wear boots every day and it hasnt faded(bout 5 years). i would give this some real deep thought, maybe look into other symbolic peices that meen something close, japenesse and tibetin cultures have endless peices of art. there has to be something out there that defines, “staying grounded” or “true to ones self” that better reflects your idea, just a little more practical. tho im still sticking with “i like it”.. if i find anything i’ll let you know. good luck and keep us posted on your findings

stickagum
Participant
@stickagum

Awesome. So, thanks for the info. It sounds like it I need to talk to some actual artists. Now I know it would take a week to heal (if not more) and would probably be a decent sized pain in the ass for that amount of time. Then, it will almost certainly wear down on the sole of my foot and might be mistaken for gout or something similar thereafter.

And I’m even surprising myself a bit by saying… I’m pretty OK with it.

Does anyone else have any other comments or suggestions? Are there any artists here who have dealt with something like this before?

Thanks again, guys. I appreciate it.

Ah and Zach, I’m obviously not attempting to destroy the tattoo. I’m just thinking it through… cause I damn near got in the car and got it tonight.

But… I wanted an expert opinion first.

I’m gonna keep asking around and keep yall posted.

**edit

yeah thanks, Kryptonite. I hear ya. I’ve just been on this for a while. I have other things I want on me at some point, but this is where I am now and what I’m working on. Thanks again.

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

the heel will never work, unless you were confined in a wheelchair and never had to use your feet for walking. i mean unless you dont mind getting it touched up every year or so. i say do it!!!!!!!!!!

reefdiver
Participant
@reefdiver
stickagum;79530 wrote:
cause I damn near got in the car and got it tonight.

But… I wanted an expert opinion first.

so…………….the person that is going to do your tattoo is not an expert ????? :confused:

yea, there are LOTS of expert opinions in chat rooms……..:p

stickagum
Participant
@stickagum

Well, since this is a forum dedicated to tattoos, with many active members and several thousand posts, yeah, as a matter of fact: I thought there would be at least a couple experts here.

Again, first tattoo so how am I supposed to know if dudeman with a gun is an expert or not? I’m sure there’s a right and wrong way to black a space out, but I don’t know what to ask them.

Just lookin for some help. If this is the wrong place, so be it. Got a couple good responses so far so thanks for the bump anyway.

JENerationX
Participant
@jenerationx

Have you considered maybe having a plant bulb with some roots coming out of it tattooed instead of blacking out the bottom of your heels?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.