factorial
Participant
@factorial

Hey folks, I’m considering my first tattoo, and it’s relatively small writing in the crook of my elbow:
dHtJh.jpg

I went to one parlor and they told me it was too small and the letters would bleed together over time and be illegible. Obviously I would rather not get the ink than have that happen.

My question is: is it possible that a skilled artist could do this exactly as I have it pictured without the aforementioned bleeding? The parlor that told me they wouldn’t do it that small was a chain store that I don’t imagine hires the best artists.

Thanks for your opinions and input!

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

Oh, any artist could do it clearly–for like a year. Bleeding, blurring, and fuzzing are a fact of life when it comes to ink man, skill has nothing to do with it. You’re going to have to at least double your font size there.

On the other hand, that may be one of the single most clichéd tattoos ever. Don’t give me any bullshit about how it’s meaningful to you, not when you can go into any dollar store and get three different plaques with that motto on it. You really need to sit back and think about this, come up with a design that expresses your aesthetic sensibilities rather than some dime store cliche.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

factorial
Participant
@factorial

Lucky for me, that phrase has embedded itself so thoroughly into my attitude toward life for the last 15 years that I’m not going to suddenly change my tattoo design due to the opinion of someone on the internet. Wouldn’t that be ironic? Thanks very much for the info though. 🙂

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

You know what’s fun? When someone asks for another person’s opinion on the internet, then when they get a response they don’t like, they minimize the importance of the opinion by saying they’re “some random person on the internet”. If what I, and others, have to say on here matters so little, why did you bother posting?

Love. Peace. Metallica.

factorial
Participant
@factorial

I’m looking for where in my post I asked for your opinion on whether my tattoo concept was cliche. I can’t find it. I thought I was pretty obviously asking for opinions on whether the font was too small. See the sentence that begins with “My question:”? It’s OK though, you don’t have to get butthurt over my dismissal of your criticism; just recognize that I don’t care what you think about the tattoo itself, only your opinion on whether it’s possible to get small-font tattoos.

KingMunkee
Participant
@kingmunkee

I think its a goo idea. cool place for a tat. although i wouldnt want to get it in that font, i would go for the fancier writing, but of course up to you.
If you did go for a different font type, one that is thinner, then it would work better, but may need to be slightly bigger.
And in response to the Knighthawk, he was asking for people opinion on whether the tattoo would work in that size etc, not on the words.

Have fun getting it done, hope it all goes well :]

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

Ok, so we’ve clarified what you are asking for here: specifically, would this tat work in this font in this size.

I agree with KH about the technical side. I think the font is too small and after some time goes by it will fade to a blurry line. I’m also concerned about the placement of the tat. This part of your body stretches and flexes a lot which will also contribute to the demise of the tat over time. I think if you doubled the size of it and moved the placement you would be ok.

Just some food for thought on the tat itself: I think you should consider flipping it so it reads the other way. I’m pretty sure it’s that way so you can read it but it looks awkward to me. after a few weeks of having it you won’t really have to read it anymore because just looking at it will ring th quote in your head. Also, realize that it’s going to me really hard to pull this into a larger tat on your arm down the road so if you are thinking about more work you might want to tuck this some where that won’t interfere.

Anyway, just my .02.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.