Hi guys, I also posted this in the general tattoo discussion forum, but I thought posting it here might be a good idea as well.
In one of my classes, we have to write a final paper examining some part of (U.S) culture. I chose to write my paper on tattoos, and why people get them. Specifically, I am looking to see if there are any gender or socioeconomic differences in types/placement of tattoos, as well as in reasons for getting them. So tattooees, I have a few questions for you:
1) How many tattoos do you have?
2) Please describe each tattoo (if you have a lot than pick your favorites), including where it is on your body (or just post a pic)
3) Why did you get that particular tattoo, in that particular location?
4) At the time you got your tattoo, what was your level of education?
5) At the time you got your tattoo, what was your occupation?
6) At the time you got your tattoo, what would you say your socioeconomic status was (e.g. working class, lower middle class, upper middle class, ect.)
7) Finally, what is your gender?
I will be providing my professor with a link to this post, as it is my “source” for first-hand accounts. Feel free to not answer any questions you feel uncomfortable answering.
Thanks a ton 🙂
I have some spare time, so here I go……
1) I have two tattoos.
2) The first one is a traditional style rose with a banner and name. The second one is a large piece on my side. It is of two koi swimming opposite of each other with a stargazer lily and orchids in the middle. I have pictures in my albums.
3) They both hold incredibly strong meaning to me. I got them in those particular spots because that’s just where I pictured them being. They were the spots that I felt the tattoo would look best.
4) I was a high school graduate for both.
5) My occupation was/is a cake (and the occasional cupcake) baker and decorator.
6) Upper middle class or upper class. I’m not sure.
7) I’m 100% female
1) 3 tattoos
2) first is script on my foot that says “make decisions and never look back” second is an anchor on my bicep (the bottom is just above my inner elbow) and the third is a very simple cross on the palm side of one of my fingers
3) the script on my foot is to remind me not to dwell on past decisions and to learn from my mistakes and move on, the cross I got on my hand to look at when life gets difficult, the anchor I got because I spent alot of time on my grandfathers boat fishing when I was growing up and I have always loved the ocean and water.
4) I was a high school senior when I got the writing on my foot and the cross, and I got the anchor a few months ago and I am in college
5) student/ part time boat driver when I got all 3
6) middle class
Wow there sure is an influx of “students” on the forum recently asking about tattoos….
I’ve got lots, I got them ‘cos I’m friggin awesome, and my occupation is Ron Jeremy’s personal ball carrier (they’re hanging quite low in his age)
Hope it helps!
Thanks so much for replying. Do you think you could elaborate on “incredible meaning?”
1) 1 but I go sunday for my 2nd. I’m super excited!
2) it’s a rose with my grandmothers name in a banner. Originally it was flash on the wall but said “mom” and I got it changed to “belle” (grandmothers name) and the banner didn’t have shading and they put in blue and black shading in the banner and added pink in the rose…the pink in there wasnt in the flash so it’s a little different than the flash that was on the wall. I got it because I love my grandmother and she has helped me through so much and I got it on my calf because she has a rose on her ankle but I got it higher up on my calf as it was my first one and ankles are supposed to be really painful. I’m used to pain but I wasnt sure how much it would hurt and I didnt want my first one to be the worst pain wise. the one i’m getting in a few days is gonna be a hatchet girl on my left shoulder. If you know icp-juggalos etc. I’m a juggalette. I got a picture on my profile of my current one and will be uploading my 2nd when it’s done.
3) oops I kinda did 2 and 3 both in 2. Anyway I’m getting the hatchet girl on my shoulder because…It can easily be covered up if I need it to be and also easily showed off too.
4) I graduated high school
5) n/a medical issues
6) um..lower middle class? i