Tripper
Participant
@tripper

My appologies in advance if there have already been questions like mine addressed…

I’m getting my first tattoo tomorrow (a maple leaf on the upper back/rear shoulder). I’ll post pictures after it’s done!

I was wondering, however, about the possibility of having an allergic reaction to the colour pigments (particularly the red ink?)? I’ve been reading a bit about it…

I’m not allergic to anything (to my knowledge) but I’d hate to have any surprises to goof up my tattoo or cause me any health issues! But I had my heart set on having SOME red in the tattoo (as per my Canadian roots).

I guess I’m just a paranoid person who’s getting caught up in the horror-stories of others as I’m finding myself getting paranoid by googling infections/allergies…etc..

Does anyone have any experience with this? Should I have a legitimate reason to be worrying? I’m going to a reputable shop that has been around for over 10 years, one of which I’ve been recommended by a few people….So I’m confident it will be OK – but I’ve heard that red is the only ink that isn’t hypoallergenic, so I’m legitimately concerned (or maybe just a paranoid pussy).

Thanks in advance for any information!

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Your not going to know your allergic to it mate unless you try it?

Go for it dude! looking forward to seing the pics.

Adler
Participant
@adler

I don’t think you should anticipate an allergic reaction to the red ink but it may heal a little slower than the rest and maybe scab a little but you should be fine.

Tripper
Participant
@tripper

Thanks for the replies guys. I’m really looking forward to it; I’m just let things get to my head a little too much I suppose and I don’t wanna eff up my tat!

But I guess even in the worst-case scenario there’s things that can fix it, right?

I’ll see how she goes and post pics tonight!

PS: I realize everyone’s different; but what is the typical length of the healing process? I’m a lifeguard so I’m going to have to get back in the water eventually (and old people that try out our waterslide start drowning frequently…lol – so how long before I can hop in the water again? Two weeks? Three?)

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

You worry to much. It will be fine. I have lots of red and no problems.

Tripper
Participant
@tripper
buttwheat;88814 wrote:
You worry to much. It will be fine. I have lots of red and no problems.

Thanks man! I’m sure it will be alright. Next question (kinda ridiculous really…): I was wondering if I’ll be in a comfortable enough position to be able to read a book while the dude’s working on it lol. I was thinking since it’d be on my back I could have my arms out front and read for the 2 some odd hours. I’m taking a summer English course for school and I’ve got tons of shit to do this week so I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone so to speak. Might be a dumb idea – but I figured I’d ask before I walk in there with a book

ALSO: Do you guys think that mowing a lawn with a push-mower tomorrow will goof it up at all? (Since is will be on my rear shoulder, I don’t want to stretch anything by jerkin’ a mower around).

Sorry if these questions are a little senseless – I’m not really sure what to expect here.

Tripper
Participant
@tripper

I`ll post pics soon.

I loved it! Great overall experience… I read for a little bit but not too long; it was great just to chat with the artist.

It felt more theraputic than painful actually….and I feel like it took really well to my body as it isn`t bleeding at all, not lifting or puffy or anything – it just looks normal. I don`t even feel it anymore either – maybe I`ll notice more pain or itching in a couple days. We`ll see.

Thanks for the info. guys – pics to come!

msmercury
Participant
@msmercury
Tripper;88836 wrote:
I`ll post pics soon.

I loved it! Great overall experience… I read for a little bit but not too long; it was great just to chat with the artist.

It felt more theraputic than painful actually….and I feel like it took really well to my body as it isn`t bleeding at all, not lifting or puffy or anything – it just looks normal. I don`t even feel it anymore either – maybe I`ll notice more pain or itching in a couple days. We`ll see.

Thanks for the info. guys – pics to come!

Congratulations! Can’t wait to see pics!! Welcome to the forum!!!:)

Tripper
Participant
@tripper

254321_10150655410600177_653170176_19205694_8281732_n.jpg

Little bit of glare, I’ll put another one up as well.

260169_10150655409860177_653170176_19205688_4406713_n.jpg

Tripper
Participant
@tripper

PS: How soon can I get back into the gym? Tomorrow will be one week exactly. Is that too soon?

I just feel so lazy being stuck around the house lately

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

Typically, I go back to the gym 24 hours or less after a tattoo. After a week, you’re perfectly fine.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Adler
Participant
@adler

For me personally, I wait 2 weeks sometimes before getting back into the gym just to be extra cautious. Just too much moving, rubbing and sweating for me but you might be fine now.

inkcastingNYC
@

Are you all inked up and ready for your next big piece? Or, are you a first timer who has always wanted a tattoo, and now you’re FINALLY ready to take the plunge onto an artists table? Are you ready for a portrait to memorialize a loved one, or a Japanese style piece to pay homage to your heritage? Have you and your crew always wanted to get ink together?

If so…our TV show wants to hear from you! We’re bringing together some of the BEST tattoo artists in the game, and we’re looking for people who want to be their next canvas! If you’re 27+ and have an idea of the tattoo you’d like and why, email us at inkcastingNYC@gmail.com. Please include a description of yourself along with a current photo.

We’ll be conducting interviews over the next week, so you must be available to meet with us in NYC. Thanks!

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi first off nice ink really did like it.

The red may scab a little harder than the rest but should be fine.

As for gym remember you have an open wound so no heavy lifting, or stretching, or tight clothing on it that will rub.

Also no pool or sauna/steam room for a min of 2 weeks (3-4 weeks if you can stretch that far to make sure totally healed).

Great to see that you have had the work done.

Take care
Matthew

Tripper
Participant
@tripper
Sherav;89288 wrote:
Hi first off nice ink really did like it.

The red may scab a little harder than the rest but should be fine.

As for gym remember you have an open wound so no heavy lifting, or stretching, or tight clothing on it that will rub.

Also no pool or sauna/steam room for a min of 2 weeks (3-4 weeks if you can stretch that far to make sure totally healed).

Great to see that you have had the work done.

Take care
Matthew

Thanks for the helpful reply! How long do you think I should wait before lifitng? I went to the gym today and hit my shoulders/triceps… The tattoo felt alright – but I don’t want to chance it. It’s been a week today since I got it done so do you think I should wait one more week before getting back into the gym heavy?

I guess I’ll stick to hitting legs/running for this week!

Also, I’ve been using Tattoo Goo on it usually three times a day after washing and before bed. How long should I keep this up for? Should I keep up with the Tattoo Goo or switch to a regular Vitamin E cream after a little bit? I guess there’s no real static method to the aftercare and everyone has their own thing – but I’m eager to hear opinions!!

Thanks for the compliment on the ink! I’m really happy with it and I want to keep it pristine!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.