dwilson5
@

I got a tattoo yesterday in a band around my arm, which it turns out hurts a whole lot today. It makes it too uncomfortable to sleep or rest my arm and is also losing some ink which I’ve come to expect from tattoos. I would like to cover it but the most frequent advice I get is to wrap it with seran wrap. I tried that on an arm piece I got a few years ago, and the mixture of aquaphor and seran wrap caused bacteria to breed and landed me with a staph infection. I’m wondering if covering it with xeroform, which is for burn and skin graft care and healing, would be acceptable to wrap around my arm and cover with dry gauze. It will keep it moisturized but will still let it breathe. Any advice on covering or the use of xeroform in this sense is much appreciated. :confused:

Rider68
Participant
@rider68

When I was getting my half sleeve, I would wrap it overnight using A & D. I would wash it, let it air dry until it felt tight, then put on a very small amount of A & D, rubbing it into the skin and patting off the excess, not just covering it with a layer of ointment. I would let that sit for a while and pat it down again, then I’d wrap it. As soon as I woke up in the morning I’d follow the same process of washing and putting on the A & D.

I’ve never used anything that was labeled as “antibiotic” like Neosporin, or Bacitracin. I’ve heard various reasons for not using them, but the one that stuck with me was that these are used in treating infection, not preventing it.

If Xeroform is for burns and skin grafts it seems like it would be a bit too strong for use on a tattoo, similar to Bacitracin.

BigZach
Participant
@bigzach

The only time that I would ever wrap a tattoo is if the shirt you’re wearing will cause a lot of friction.

When I got my back done, I put a very think layer of Aquaphor and then saran wrap, but that was all after I washed it thoroughly. I would usually work an eight hour shift so on my lunch break, I would remove the wrap, wash the Aquaphor off, and repeat the process.

That is the key, washing. I try to get a good three times a day washing with soap and warm water.

As far as sleeping goes, just try and find a position that doesn’t bother it too much. It will only hurt for a few days!

Stick with ointments that are designed for skin healing, not burns. Look into Aquaphor, I have only had amazing results with it.

Just make sure if you have ointment on and you’re going to bed that the blanket doesn’t lay on it. Because when you wake up you’ll have a fun time peeling that off 🙂

Zach

Rider68
Participant
@rider68
BigZach;79482 wrote:
That is the key, washing. I try to get a good three times a day washing with soap and warm water.

Exactly. I tried to emphasize that in my post as well. Keeping it clean is the key to avoiding infection.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Hey Zack… how did you go about washing your back? It’s one of those idiosyncrasies of human evolution, but we physically can’t comfortably reach every part of our back 😀

kryptonite
Participant
@kryptonite
ArniVidar;79499 wrote:
Hey Zack… how did you go about washing your back? It’s one of those idiosyncrasies of human evolution, but we physically can’t comfortably reach every part of our back 😀

you are very smart. :rolleyes:, useless, but very smart
i also stress the cleaning. and simply keeping it moist. i never wrapped anything after the first 3-4 hours, just couse it was too much of a pain, but it woulkdnt hurt for sure. xeroform seams pretty harsh. i would stick to just a basic lubricant

BigZach
Participant
@bigzach
ArniVidar;79499 wrote:

I laced my shower wall up with soap and rubbed my back on it very gently

I figured that was the best way seeing how I wasn’t comfortable having my roommate scrub me down 😀

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
kryptonite;79505 wrote:
simply keeping it moist

I’m from a different school keep it as dry as possible and only using a lotion when it gets to uncomfortable.
I was a skeptic on this but on my last tattoo I dry healed it and was more then pleased with the results.

ArniVidar
@arnividar
kryptonite;79505 wrote:
you are very smart. :rolleyes:, useless, but very smart

Huh? :confused:

Starrya
@

I had never heard of using xeroform when getting tattoos, but recently I had medical tattoos and this is what I was given for aftercare. I was told to spread the tattoo with A&D, and then cover with a single layer of xeroform gauze. Then to tape a layer of normal gauze over the top (the xeroform is sticky). According to the nurse it will prevent the tattoo from scabbing, as well as helping to prevent infection. So, while it may be overkill (and it’s pretty pricey) it certainly wouldn’t hurt.

newdragon
Participant
@newdragon

I have followed the artists advice each time. Remove the plastic wrap after about 2 hrs and wash with a mild soap. Then put a thin layer of Bepanthen cream (a nappy rash cream ). Don’t re wrap but wash and apply cream 3 times a day until scabbing has gone. This has worked for me but will see what tha artist suggest seach time.

jerryatrophy
Participant
@jerryatrophy

I just tried the dry process on my last session. I didn’t do anything but wash it once a day for the first three days until it started getting withered and dry looking. Then small amounts of lotion a couple times a day. Worked great. No puff or washout.

Dan
Participant
@dan

🙂 ……………………..

Dan
Participant
@dan

……………………..

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

Turkey Spam!

Grilled with eggs over easy!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.