Swansoda
Participant
@swansoda

Hi there, I’m Nicole, 26, Indiana…..

I have just recently become intrigued with tattoos. I always thought there’s no way I could ever get one, but tattoos are so intriguing to me. I right now am looking around for I guess opinions and others’ experiences….I know that everyone’s pain tolerance is different, and the pain is different on different parts of the body, but it’s always nice to see/hear what others’ experiences are like.

I have watched the most recent seasons of ink master and tattoo nightmares, so I guess that’s what has really sparked my interest. It crazy seeing how one person can sit so still and yet another is about to pass out….but I guess watching that doesn’t help with the nerves.

I’m really not sure what my pain tolerance would be for a tattoo, with needles jabbing in your skin. The pain of that makes me nervous…..I know it would be a good idea to start small, no go for a big one to start with….after looking around on Pinterest and seeing pictures of Miley Cyrus’s finger tattoos, I’m wanting to start there. I found a pin of a cute little kitty nose and whiskers on the pointer finger like the whole mustache deal, and I like how Miley got the equal sign for human rights equality on her finger (and I just like the look of tattoos on the sides of fingers like her’s) and I found a pin for a little skull head on the top of a finger…..AND after seeing a couple on the Young and the Restless do it, albeit a soap opera show, I think it would be cool to get a black wedding band tattoo with my hubby.

I was told the finger is a sensitive spot and that there is a lot of nerve endings on the side of the finger…..now somewhere around a year ago I cut the top of my lower pointer from next to the side towards my knuckle with a box cutter when I was trying to slide the blade in the end to make it a scraper and that surprisingly did not hurt! I don’t know if it was the shock or just how it happened and then it didn’t hurt getting the stitches out, so I’m just wondering if there is any pain tolerance relevance in that…..(I know there’s a difference between cutting the finger and needles jabbing into it).

I would love to know what those of you with finger tattoos, your 1-10 pain rating and what you think about using numbing gel….my cousin used it on her small one and everything worked out well, tattoo came out nicely, was under an hour which I read is how long the stuff lasts and I have a place my friend goes to that I have in mind to check out.

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

Hey Nicole, welcome to the forums. You have done the right thing as far as asking on educated forums, the people will look after you with artist suggestions etc so you don’t go getting a crappy tattoo.

As for fingers, I don’t think any credible artists will do hands unless your already heavily tattooed as it is a social no no if you are thinking about your career and general life experiences with hand tattoos.

As far as pain, its nowhere nearly as bad as people make out. On some parts it doesn’t even hurt and on others it does but you can always do the amount of time under the needle that you can handle. The pain when it hurts is best described I guess as hot scraping. I am sure child birth is more painful lol

Swansoda
Participant
@swansoda

Ok, cool, I guess I’ll have to decide on something else as my first tattoo then based on that. I would just like to get one in a spot that can be seen while clothed ya know, but I’m not big on tattoos on the upper arm spot. I think the fingers are cute, could be covered with a ring or bandage if need be, but if that’s the case I’ve seen/heard that the back of your shoulder is a lower pain spot and the calf…???

Thank you for the response and lol yeah I’m sure, but that’s a whole different kind of pain.

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

@Swansoda 123706 wrote:

Ok, cool, I guess I’ll have to decide on something else as my first tattoo then based on that. I would just like to get one in a spot that can be seen while clothed ya know, but I’m not big on tattoos on the upper arm spot. I think the fingers are cute, could be covered with a ring or bandage if need be, but if that’s the case I’ve seen/heard that the back of your shoulder is a lower pain spot and the calf…???

Thank you for the response and lol yeah I’m sure, but that’s a whole different kind of pain.

I wouldn’t choose a spot for your tattoo just because of the pain lol

Choose somewhere you want it and trust me the pain is not as bad as you think 🙂

ArniVidar
@arnividar

It’s going to hurt. Accept that as a given, and move on 🙂

Swansoda
Participant
@swansoda

That is definitely a good point. But I definitely would like it in a spot visible while publicly clothed, I’m thinking my choice would be calf, back of shoulder, finger of course as I started with and lower inside arm between wrist and elbow…..so I guess just pick a spot and go with it, like you said, I don’t have to sit thru it if I can’t handle it, I can come back for more later…and that’s what a lot of people do anyway right for large tattoos, start with outline/details and come back for the coloring.

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

@Swansoda 123709 wrote:

That is definitely a good point. But I definitely would like it in a spot visible while publicly clothed, I’m thinking my choice would be calf, back of shoulder, finger of course as I started with and lower inside arm between wrist and elbow…..so I guess just pick a spot and go with it, like you said, I don’t have to sit thru it if I can’t handle it, I can come back for more later…and that’s what a lot of people do anyway right for large tattoos, start with outline/details and come back for the coloring.

Do you have an idea in mind and an artist?

msmercury
Participant
@msmercury

Welcome to the forum! 🙂

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

Welcome to the forum!

Pain is very different in different locations on your body, and differs greatly on different people.
Choose a tattoo, a location, and a good artist.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Welcome!

Go big or go home!

jerryatrophy
Participant
@jerryatrophy

Why are you deadset on an exposed tattoo?
Just attention?

My advice. Steer clear of the prime real estate (shoulders, chest, back, forearms, calves)
Until you know what you want. A lot of people fill up the space available for big pieces with small crappy tattoos
And regret it later.

Good luck on your decision.

Swansoda
Participant
@swansoda

Thank you for the welcomes. Yes there is one tattoo parlor to start with I have in mind that my friend goes to, she likes going to them and her’s are very nicely done. I don’t necessarily want attention with a tattoo that can be seen, like I’m not an attention hog or something, but it just kinda seems silly to me to put one somewhere where it would only be seen by me….but too I could get a cool starter one somewhere for hubby’s eyes……I have a couple ideas of what I’d like, I like little cutesy ones or pretty ones like butterflies and skulls are awesome.

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

@Swansoda 123719 wrote:

Thank you for the welcomes. Yes there is one tattoo parlor to start with I have in mind that my friend goes to, she likes going to them and her’s are very nicely done. I don’t necessarily want attention with a tattoo that can be seen, like I’m not an attention hog or something, but it just kinda seems silly to me to put one somewhere where it would only be seen by me….but too I could get a cool starter one somewhere for hubby’s eyes……I have a couple ideas of what I’d like, I like little cutesy ones or pretty ones like butterflies and skulls are awesome.

Can you link the artists portfolio or work so we can see?

Swansoda
Participant
@swansoda

Marvel Tattoo | South Bend, IN

Ok hope that link works, they only have 9 pictures under the gallery, but then there’s more pictures under each artist

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

I hate it when people say I have a shop that I’m going to use. The shop doesn’t tattoo you a tattooist tattoos you. That being said Larry or Todd aren’t half bad the rest are not good.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.