Talisman
Participant
@talisman
Amok;97274 wrote:
I’m not sure if I like the “new buttwheat”
ArniVidar;97275 wrote:
I dunno.. I for one think it’s a refreshing change.
feathertouch;97276 wrote:
welcome to the forum, Not sure if answering is safe for anyone out here, i feel these ppl will hunt me down and hang me by my toe nails till the buzzards feed on my eyes sorry. But welcome to the forum just the same

Megan

Amok;97286 wrote:
Stick around, you’ll like it here. There’s lots of artists and tattoo enthusiasts alike.

Hahaha,.. Welcome, These guys mean well and want to help anyone make the right decisions. I wish you well in your endeavour to become pro.

DnAs Tat2s
@

I started out as a “Scratcher” and work from home for about 2 years before I was offered a job at a shop.
I spent tons of time researching CC,BBP, cpr before I even started tattooing. I even blew the shop owner away with how clean I set up he even had other artists that at that point had all of their certifications. I think alot of people in this industry
are scared of competition. Take a look at the past none of us would be here if it wasnt for a scratcher. Even take a look true tribe tattoos they boil and reuse there tools to sterilize them if that and tattoo on a floor in a hut. So american or not
we all have out roots that are way to often disregarded. who do u think mentored Alfred Charles, Charles Wagner,
Percy Waters, or Carol Nightingale. This is a trade that has very deep roots and just think everytime u tell a “scratcher” to go get an apprenticeship really your are just telling them try harder to prove you wrong. Realistically one or 2 good tips maybe the difference between them chewing someone to shit or producing something that people would be proud to wear as art

DnAs Tat2s
@

I started out as a “Scratcher” and work from home for about 2 years before I was offered a job at a shop.
I spent tons of time researching CC,BBP, cpr before I even started tattooing. I even blew the shop owner away with how clean I set up he even had other artists that at that point had all of their certifications. I think alot of people in this industry
are scared of competition. Take a look at the past none of us would be here if it wasnt for a scratcher. Even take a look true tribe tattoos they boil and reuse there tools to sterilize them if that and tattoo on a floor in a hut. So american or not
we all have out roots that are way to often disregarded. who do u think mentored Alfred Charles, Charles Wagner,
Percy Waters, or Carol Nightingale. This is a trade that has very deep roots and just think everytime u tell a “scratcher” to go get an apprenticeship really your are just telling them try harder to prove you wrong. Realistically one or 2 good tips maybe the difference between them chewing someone to shit or producing something that people would be proud to wear as art

DnAs Tat2s
@

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
khosmy;97295 wrote:
I’m sorry, but the general beliefs around here, are pure elitism crap, jsut in this post it was easily seen, everyone jumped on him, as soon as he said he practiced at home, ignored the part he didnt tattoo people, and immidiatly labeled him without even at least giving benefit of the doubt and asked to check his work, his work place, etc… thats just crap attitude no matter what you say.

I think you may be mistaken on why people jumped on him as a scratcher. It was him looking for advice on tattooing technique. Plain and simple no one will give that advice on techniques in the open forum. There is a section here for that if you are a verified tattooist.

To the OP good luck on finding a new mentor so you can further your tattoo education.

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

I think that because of the dangers that are out there now such as AIDS, Hep A, B, and C, MRSA, etc.. an apprenticeship is important. It’s also way easier to have someone teach you what you need to know than hope that you found reliable information from anonymous people on the internet. A house is no place for a tattoo studio. You cannot guarantee that someone won’t bring a contagion into your home where there are surfaces that CANNOT be sterilized. In all actuality taking a “shortcut” can set you way back because you have to figure out everything on your own. I waited patiently for an apprenticeship for 12 years from the right shop. I had been offered apprenticeships from other places but the fit and/or timing wasn’t right. I also had to work on my artwork for quite some time to get it up to snuff. Most of the unlicensed work I’ve seen around here is not only poorly executed but poorly drawn as well. Usually if you can’t get an apprenticeship you are either too lazy to put in the leg work or your art isn’t where it needs to be. Everyone at our shop has a degree in fine arts. It seems that’s the way it’s going to be in the future of the industry. More and more serious artists are tattooing and elevating the level of quality of tattoos. Scratchers aren’t competition, they can have the idiots that just want crappy tattoos just for the sake of having tattoos. I want clients that care what goes onto their bodies and knows what a good tattoo looks like.

Apprenticeships and all the work that goes into them is really a test of character and quality. It’s there to weed out the dedicated from the wanna be’s. Show respect for those that came before you and you’ll get the support and respect that you’re due.

DuchessCCC
Participant
@duchessccc

all I can say is that I am not scratching I am practicing on practice skins as my mentor had me doing before she dumped me so anyone wanting to belittle me can go and do their own thing cause the reason I am looking for the advice is exactly what you accuse people of . all I can say is wow this is the only place where if you don’t by the looks of it have at least 5 to 10 yrs under your belt you are treated no better than garbage , I have a great respect for this craft and that is why till I can replace my mentor the only thing I will do is use practice skins to improve and use the 6 months I did have with my mentor plus any of the truly kind souls who have a love for this craft give me , I am appalled that humans with the same love and devotion to such a wonderful craft can be so nasty to one another

DuchessCCC
Participant
@duchessccc

I have RNA training plus I took the required health unit course so I am not some IDIOT that is going to cross contaminate or worse transfer a illness from a customer to myself I am extremely health consious and actually double glove even for doing my practice skins so that when I can finih my apprenticeship I won’t have bad habits that can’t be fixed

DavidJednat;97363 wrote:
I think that because of the dangers that are out there now such as AIDS, Hep A, B, and C, MRSA, etc.. an apprenticeship is important. It’s also way easier to have someone teach you what you need to know than hope that you found reliable information from anonymous people on the internet. A house is no place for a tattoo studio. You cannot guarantee that someone won’t bring a contagion into your home where there are surfaces that CANNOT be sterilized. In all actuality taking a “shortcut” can set you way back because you have to figure out everything on your own. I waited patiently for an apprenticeship for 12 years from the right shop. I had been offered apprenticeships from other places but the fit and/or timing wasn’t right. I also had to work on my artwork for quite some time to get it up to snuff. Most of the unlicensed work I’ve seen around here is not only poorly executed but poorly drawn as well. Usually if you can’t get an apprenticeship you are either too lazy to put in the leg work or your art isn’t where it needs to be. Everyone at our shop has a degree in fine arts. It seems that’s the way it’s going to be in the future of the industry. More and more serious artists are tattooing and elevating the level of quality of tattoos. Scratchers aren’t competition, they can have the idiots that just want crappy tattoos just for the sake of having tattoos. I want clients that care what goes onto their bodies and knows what a good tattoo looks like.

Apprenticeships and all the work that goes into them is really a test of character and quality. It’s there to weed out the dedicated from the wanna be’s. Show respect for those that came before you and you’ll get the support and respect that you’re due.

DuchessCCC
Participant
@duchessccc

although he is a she, that was a very kind thing when you read my whole post ,saying I was using practice skins ,and yes I have a specific part of the house set up with Autoclave and is very sterile with all the amenities including a health unit issued certificate so thank you very much you are kind

khosmy;97295 wrote:
Thats a very nice reply, but what you call someone that learned lots of diferent things from several diferent places, has a sterilized environment ina specific part of the house, with certified sterile equipment, and knows what he is doing, and doesnt have a licence (honestly that part is a major fail since there are several countrys that still today don’t have such thing), and they actually are even doing their practice in sintetic/pig skin instead of real people till they are good enough to do so, love all there is about tattoos and do it for their love to it and not for fame and fortune… you call those scratchers? You kidding me?

You say all that stuff and still each 1 out of 2 albums in here, are with personal works, are true abominations, even lower than “scratching” and still i don’t see anyone kicking those users out…

I’m sorry, but the general beliefs around here, are pure elitism crap, jsut in this post it was easily seen, everyone jumped on him, as soon as he said he practiced at home, ignored the part he didnt tattoo people, and immidiatly labeled him without even at least giving benefit of the doubt and asked to check his work, his work place, etc… thats just crap attitude no matter what you say.

DuchessCCC
Participant
@duchessccc

This will be my last post due to the fact that you all seem to be defeatists who would rather trample a possible good tattoo artist because you can’t see past your own short comings of short shortsightedness Please by all means the next time someone comes in just tell them to get lost because that is the message you sent to me in a round the bush way and I don’t need people who might be afraid of someone with something to offer to the tattooing community

DuchessCCC
Participant
@duchessccc

Actually this is my last post , it takes a big person to say I can help and do so than someone who ust says you aren’t doing this right . I have no plans on being like the nay Sayers here if a person has the passion and is trying to do some thing they love and believe in then if I have the answer I will give it . It is pretty petty when all I asked was a opinion on inks and such things , yes I asked for pointers but sticks in the mud like most of the people here are the people that give the true Tattoo artist a bad names that shows me that they don’t love the craft but the glory the craft brings them so good bye to all of you I will one day come back and show you just how wrong you were about me by doing it the right way with love and respect for the craft

feathertouch
Participant
@feathertouch
ArniVidar;97297 wrote:
For a lack of a better word, yes. They certainly can’t be considered professionals, since professionalism by the very definition requires degrees and certificates and other such stuff. In those countries where no such things are required, then people simply can’t be ‘professionals’.. regardless of how spectacularly good they are.

I’m sorry i grew up with websters english dictionary and no where does it say a professional has a degree, and i think the million or so professional truck drivers would agree or the other workers who are all professionals at thier jobs would also agree.

true definition of the word professional

pro·fes·sion·al/prəˈfeSHənl

a : of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession

b : engaged in one of the learned professions

c (1) : characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession
(2) : exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace

2a : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs
b : having a particular profession as a permanent career

c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return

3: following a line of conduct as though it were a profession
— pro·fes·sion·al·ly adverb

Not defending scratchers just dislike false information on top of which I have never heard of a tattooing diploma or degree i must get myself one printed off to hang above the shop counter.

ArniVidar
@arnividar
feathertouch;97374 wrote:
I’m sorry i grew up with websters english dictionary and no where does it say a professional has a degree

Thank you for correcting me. My understanding of the word was, that to be a professional you have to study with a mentor/teacher and finish said training, at the end of which you always get some recognition of your time spent, varying between vocations.

However, using your own example, truckers have to study and learn how to drive big trucks, and they also have to take separate permits and courses in transporting people and hazardous materials and so forth. They all have licenses that prove that they can do this, or they are not legally allowed to drive. They are, of course, professional drivers. If I jumped into a big-rig and started driving, I might maybe be able to do it, and I could perhaps get a job doing it for some low-life, but I wouldn’t be legal and I wouldn’t be professional.

Again, thank you for correcting me, but perhaps you now know where my thought process came from. Not all of us grew up with Webster 🙂

As for the tattooing diploma, most mentors give their students something to indicate that they have finished teaching them, or that they have at least reached a certain point in their education. It may not be a diploma, but it will be some form of recognition, be it verbal or physically some item.

feathertouch
Participant
@feathertouch

We are a back woods country i will give you that you can actually get your A license here by borrowing your buddies pickup truck with a 5th wheel and do the road test, and the Z is as simple as answering 40 questions, no training needed now you are certified by the canadian government to drive truck for a living. Do i agree with this no but that is neither here nor there hehe.

As for my apprentiship I got no papers and I will bitch the boss out soon as he wakes up, ofcourse i only got the job because i was blowing him (inside joke since he is my husband).

But honestly around these parts a professional is everything from a hooker (i hope there is no schooling for that it is my back up plan if i get fired) to a doctor or lawyer lol.

Ps: I do tend to come off a bit bitchy before my morning coffee excuse me if it sounded bitchy
Megan

DuchessCCC
Participant
@duchessccc

not one of you in here were acting like a professional, as a SCRATCHER by your definition is one who use the stupid friend to get stupider tattoo’s , if you read my whole post I am working on getting a new mentor to finish out my apprenticeship and till then will not use a human as a canvas.So much for professionalism eh guys if the way you guys got your as you have put it licence then you can have it as , would rather be a SCRATCHER than be linked to your kind of professionalism where you don’t even read the full post , I am not perfect but I not a Asshole IDIOT that is willing to ruin anyone’s skin I have more respect for this craft than I have read from most of you in here , atleast I can admit my short comings and limit myself the capabilities I know I have and stay within my limitations , most you in here seem to have swollen heads and I can only assume assholes from all the time you spend putting down on here LISTEN TO WHAT YOU PREACH AND MAYBE PRACTICE IT YOU MIGHT ACTUALLY LEARN SOMETHING

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.