ArniVidar
@arnividar

There really isn’t one ‘correct’ way to do a clockface. I’ve seen them both all going out from the center point (like the picture) and all going from the bottom (like the tattoo). I’ve also seen clockfaces with IIII and others with IV.

I agree, however, that I prefer them going out from the center point, so to me it looks ‘wrong’ 🙂

Parademic
Participant
@parademic

It looks like the V is just facing the wrong way, if the V was flipped it’d be the same, no?

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Thanks for the replies.

@ Arni – yes not the best picture in the world I will get some better pics up when more detail is added.

I intend to get it coloured in the next 2-4 weeks depends on when my artist can fit me in as working on cancellations.

With regards to the face I can understand what you are saying as I have seen a large variation of faces showing different styles and had no preference. But I will get him to fix the numerals shouldn’t be a big job.

I still want him to work on some of the lines and touchup on shading which we will do as I go for the colouring in session.

My artist does a lot of stuff freehand on the later sitting so intend to iron out any issues. Which is why I am glad of the feedback.

Take care
Matthew

Amok
Participant
@amok

I wouldn’t be overly stressed about the numerals, almost no one will notice, still a great looking tattoo

xanderx
Participant
@xanderx

congrats on the ink Sherav 🙂 really nice and looking forward to seeing the finished product… 🙂

i do hate the fact that the clock numerals are wrong… 🙁

and i hate to be the one to point out but everyone seemed to be just cool about it and nice to Matt, just because he is Matt? :confused: i just think if it were maybe a newbie who let that mistake happen people here would be all over him lambasting how stupid he is to not check it from the sketch or something…

just my opinion, don’t flame me please :p

i for one have learned a lot of Sherav/Matthew through his posts and for sure i only have gratitude for him 🙂

hoping you can fix the clock so that it turns out as it should be, which is close to perfect.

thanks.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

You raise an interesting point – truth is it was a simple oversight on both mine and artist’s part. we were both busy adding last min changes – it looked right when we were looking at it pretty much upside down.

I am pretty laid back about it because I know that the piece can be sorted out – but yes it was a basic error which is why I try not to flame newbies because everybody can make this kinda mistake. Hell I make mistakes everyday.

I appreciate the approach ppl have taken – and hope it is extended to others (but I have thick skin and have already been chewed out by a number of ppl I work with it is just fodder for the day really :D)

Design wise it is going to be more detailed – I wanted the face to portray a broken glass effect and def add more detail to the watch body.

I have also been considering adding some text to the piece so it flows along the top still undecided on that.

Anyhow when it is all coloured and fixed I will post up some more pics.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Take care
matthew

Dipland
Participant
@dipland

That is going to be sweet. Great start. And with all the clock discussion…Is there any significance to the time on the face of the clock?

ArniVidar
@arnividar
xanderx;96390 wrote:
i do hate the fact that the clock numerals are wrong… 🙁

and i hate to be the one to point out but everyone seemed to be just cool about it and nice to Matt, just because he is Matt?

Hardly. The thing is, that it ISN’T wrong. There’s no such thing as a “correct” clockface, afaik. So why jump on him for it being wrong when it isn’t? 🙂

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi Dipland

Thanks for the comment.

The clock is merely a symbolic reminder to myself that time is short and to try and make a success with what I have.

The hands of the clock were done so that it was ‘smiling’ – it is an in-joke in my family because my grandfather always used to tell us to keep smiling when under pressure.

Take care
Matthew

hege
Participant
@hege

looks awesome so far

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
ArniVidar;96440 wrote:
Hardly. The thing is, that it ISN’T wrong. There’s no such thing as a “correct” clockface, afaik. So why jump on him for it being wrong when it isn’t? 🙂

I beg to differ. A clock in order to tell time correctly must go 4,5,6 in that order not 6,5,4 . At least that is the way clocks work here in the states else where in the world it might be different which would be real confusing when you could just make up your numbering order for your clocks.

It’s just a small fuck up. no big deal I think the wonky lines in the clock face should be more of the concern.

ArniVidar
@arnividar
buttwheat;96460 wrote:
I beg to differ. A clock in order to tell time correctly must go 4,5,6 in that order not 6,5,4 .

Hah! I hadn’t noticed that. You’re right there. The 4 and 6 are mirrored. I thought you were just talking about the letters being legible right-side up. 🙂

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

i, for one, agree about the wonky lines in the clock. and also the fin. and on the flower. but they are easily fixable. the numerals in the clock look like they would be harder to fix but all in all a good tattoo!!!

albert1500
Participant
@albert1500

very nice. i do like the pocket watch. i have a roman style clock on the front of my left shoulder.

these guys had me thinking mine was wrong too because my “4” reads IIII instead of IV but its used both ways.

anyway sweet ink, cant wait to see it finished.

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk
xanderx;96390 wrote:
and i hate to be the one to point out but everyone seemed to be just cool about it and nice to Matt, just because he is Matt? :confused: i just think if it were maybe a newbie who let that mistake happen people here would be all over him lambasting how stupid he is to not check it from the sketch or something….

It’s one of the perks of being awesome–you get a pass on shit a lesser mortal would get creamed for.

For an example, I mean, most fat sweaty guys ask me for a bj, I’m going to ask them if they lost their damn minds. Lord Hull asks, it’s like “Well, he did help me with the memorial tattoo, and it’s only like five minutes of work…”

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.