Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@ezrider 131251 wrote:

I think a lot of people are just way too uptight.

This says it all!

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

I’m a fairly curious person, so when I meet someone who dislikes tattoos, I usually ask why.
    From men, I’ve heard this reason more than anything; They don’t think they could bring you home to their mom.
    Not kidding. A lot of people my age seem to be perfectly okay with tattoos, but they think their family, friends etc might make it an issue if they got serious with someone with tattoos. They might worry about their lady in a pretty dress in a formal event, if her tattoos will become a problem. Things like that.
    It’s silly, but I actually.. Sort of get it. I’ve met parents of boyfriends, and have their first reaction be my tattoos. Hell, it’s been their ONLY reaction. As if I didn’t matter at all, I was of no interest to them, except “why the hell would you do such a thing? how does your mom feel??”.

So for me, it’s very hard to conceal all my tattoos and they are part of me, so it just makes dating a LOT easier if I stick to men who are about as freaky and modified as I am! 😛 One of these things is not like the others…

Zorba
    Participant
    @zorba

I think its also a regional thing – there are TONS of tattooed gals here on the west coast, no-one really thinks much of it.

With that said, everyone has their preferences. I like tattoos on women – and men – but not full coverage. Lots of tattoos? Yes. But negative space is important. Now with THAT said, if I were into the dating scene, I wouldn’t be put off by a gal with “full coverage” if I otherwise liked her. I’m trying to get my wife to get a couple of tattoos – she wants one, but it just hasn’t happened yet…

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@Zorba 131262 wrote:

I think its also a regional thing – there are TONS of tattooed gals here on the west coast, no-one really thinks much of it.

We have a similar situation on the east coast. With our Amish population. It turns out that the Amish women are the best prostitutes because they can handle way more mennonite.

yodaddynukka
    Participant
    @yodaddynukka

I love love love heavily tattooed women. Even if its crappy ink I still think it’s sexy.

Tecratt
    Participant
    @tecratt

@yodaddynukka 131265 wrote:

I love love love heavily tattooed women.

This. I love women with ink. It drives me wild. Especially colorful ink. Women with black and grey sleeves are still hot, but not quite as much.

My wife currently has 5 tattoos. She only had one when we got together. Anytime she says something about getting another one I tell her to go for it. I love it.

And if you are looking, tattoos are definitely a conversation starter, especially if you both have ink. I’ve talked to a whole bunch of people that I never would have talked to by one of us asking, “Hey, who done your ink?”

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

@poxphobia 131241 wrote:

I’m not saying you need to find someone with tattoos, change your life, social circle etc, but if your friends are mainly more conservative and you already know that you’re not going to find anyone interesting for you within their expanded social circle, at work, where you usually go, it might be a good idea to look other places 🙂
    And the whole “the right guy will show up eventually”… I mean, come on. 2013 here. It’s nothing wrong with going out and looking for someone. Be it a serious relationship, new friends, or just someone to have fun with. You don’t need to wait for mr right, maybe you become friends with his sister who’ll introduce you to him three years from now.

Expanding your own social circle is never a bad idea. Be it just to pick up coffee at a different place, try out a concert with a band you’ve never heard about.
    You don’t need to look for tattooed people, but clearly, where you’ve been looking so far, isn’t working out too great or you wouldn’t be asking 🙂 Search out your interests, places that look fun, try something new! 🙂 I’m sure you’ll be fine, you’re a sweetheart 🙂

I think this is the most honest post in the thread. The truth of the matter is, we have to gravitate to like minds and do the footwork.

Tecratt
    Participant
    @tecratt

I don’t know what kind of music you listen to, but rock concerts are a GREAT place to meet other people with tattoos. Probably the highest concentration of tattooed people in one spot I can think of outside of an actual tattoo convention.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@Tecratt 131266 wrote:

This. I love women with ink. It drives me wild. Especially colorful ink. Women with black and grey sleeves are still hot, but not quite as much.

My wife currently has 5 tattoos. She only had one when we got together. Anytime she says something about getting another one I tell her to go for it. I love it.

And if you are looking, tattoos are definitely a conversation starter, especially if you both have ink. I’ve talked to a whole bunch of people that I never would have talked to by one of us asking, “Hey, who done your ink?”

My wife got a Scottish thistle tattoo on her thigh. I didn’t think a lot of it until I came across it while under the covers. It was on my mind since then. It led to me getting a tattoo or so myself.

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

@Tecratt 131270 wrote:

I don’t know what kind of music you listen to, but rock concerts are a GREAT place to meet other people with tattoos. Probably the highest concentration of tattooed people in one spot I can think of outside of an actual tattoo convention.

I need to start leaving my house and doing things. I’ll try going to a concert or two by myself.

anonymous
    Participant
    @anonymous

@GrayCatLove 131221 wrote:

Male input, of course, is always welcome.

All the women I’ve spoken with are professionals, so I figured this is the best place to ask. How is dating for you?

I had an interesting conversation with a coworker who didn’t know I was tattooed about how he felt it was a real turn-off when a woman had tattoos, that he associated it with promiscuity (to which I said that I have several, and have the sex life of a nun). My mother is in her 60’s, and while she says she’s okay with men having full sleeves and wishes people (such as my father) would be less judgmental towards men with tattoos, she goes on and on about how trashy these women with tattoos are, etc. This isn’t an uncommon attitude, it seems. I was watching Dr. Phil, and some mother had her 21 year old kid on the show and was going on about how horrible it was her daughter had all these tattoos and how people would deem her promiscuous and she’d never have a good job. (Apparently, whores have poor work ethic.) Tattoos are more socially accepted in men. That’s fine. I’ve made my bed, and this is why I don’t tattoo my arms at this time. Works for me.

Where do you meet men that are okay with tattoos, or preferably LIKE the tattoos?

This is just another version of sexism in our society. It is ok for a man to have tattoos but if a woman does, she is some slut. Quite honestly, I’ve encountered this a few times. It is usually something that starts subtle. They will see a tattoo and make some dumb comment like “why would you do that?” or “what if you regret it?” When I respond in a way that supports tattooing in general their real attitude comes out – that they think it makes me look cheap, easy, etc. And that is where it ends. If you think art makes me look bad, I’m not interested.

I think the key is looking for open minded people in general. People with less overall judgments tend to have less judgments about tattoos.

msmercury
    Participant
    @msmercury

This was a most interesting post! Thank you for that! I thoroughly enjoyed reading through the replies. Since I’m married, I’m not in the dating arena, but I really found this topic quite fun and interesting!! 🙂

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

@npaggett 131469 wrote:

This is just another version of sexism in our society. It is ok for a man to have tattoos but if a woman does, she is some slut. Quite honestly, I’ve encountered this a few times. It is usually something that starts subtle. They will see a tattoo and make some dumb comment like “why would you do that?” or “what if you regret it?” When I respond in a way that supports tattooing in general their real attitude comes out – that they think it makes me look cheap, easy, etc. And that is where it ends. If you think art makes me look bad, I’m not interested.

I think the key is looking for open minded people in general. People with less overall judgments tend to have less judgments about tattoos.

QFT. Jung said we never really see others, just shadows of ourselves. Perhaps I need to reevaluate how I look at dating – For the last five years, my attitude has been, “I don’t need a man! I need a career, money, a few good friends, a paid for car, etc.” I’m not a person who dates because I “should” date or be married or have children. But, while watching Oprah (I know), I had an “a-ha” moment.” I do need someone to share my life with to be really content. Not because it’s going to make me whole. I am whole.

I’m not a 20 year old Christie Brinkley, but I’m cute, funny, in pretty good shape, broad-minded, animal and children loving, want to help people even on my worst day, and what I have I want to share. And I want to have that intimate relationship again where I really get to know someone and let someone really get to know me. Being ready to really emotionally expose yourself and share your life is a major decision. It isn’t something you fall into, at least not for me. Yeah, I can play the numbers game, but I’m tired of meeting people who don’t like that it turns out I have tattoos, or my other little idiosyncrasies. I’m not some crazy radical, and I’m a good listener, but I came to most of my decisions and beliefs by some sort of thoughtful process, or blundering followed by careful rethinking. At this point, to really feel joy in my life, I need that. By no means am I in a rush and going to choose the first dolt in my path. But yeah, I can truly say, “I need.”

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@GrayCatLove 131481 wrote:

Expose yourself and share your life.

This is my philosophy exactly!

All joking aside, life is tough. I dated women sporadically until I met the “right one”. I started railroading at 20 years old. Fuck! I passed about ten years in growing up. I found myself hanging out with people twenty years older than me and having a real fun time. It was one crazy lifestyle. I was on trains in five directions out of Harrisburg. Home to hotel to home again. Drinking, poker games, drugs. Nothing stable though. That’s what I was yearning for.

When I was 28 years old I though I would never find the right girl. Then, as an answer to a prayer, out of the clear blue sky, like a ton of bricks falling on me, I was in love. We got married, each at 29 years old. (then she got a tattoo a few years ago, and you know the rest)

My point? Relax. Some guy will come out of the blue and rock your socks off!

anonymous
    Participant
    @anonymous

@GrayCatLove 131481 wrote:

QFT. Jung said we never really see others, just shadows of ourselves. Perhaps I need to reevaluate how I look at dating – For the last five years, my attitude has been, “I don’t need a man! I need a career, money, a few good friends, a paid for car, etc.” I’m not a person who dates because I “should” date or be married or have children. But, while watching Oprah (I know), I had an “a-ha” moment.” I do need someone to share my life with to be really content. Not because it’s going to make me whole. I am whole.

I’m not a 20 year old Christie Brinkley, but I’m cute, funny, in pretty good shape, broad-minded, animal and children loving, want to help people even on my worst day, and what I have I want to share. And I want to have that intimate relationship again where I really get to know someone and let someone really get to know me. Being ready to really emotionally expose yourself and share your life is a major decision. It isn’t something you fall into, at least not for me. Yeah, I can play the numbers game, but I’m tired of meeting people who don’t like that it turns out I have tattoos, or my other little idiosyncrasies. I’m not some crazy radical, and I’m a good listener, but I came to most of my decisions and beliefs by some sort of thoughtful process, or blundering followed by careful rethinking. At this point, to really feel joy in my life, I need that. By no means am I in a rush and going to choose the first dolt in my path. But yeah, I can truly say, “I need.”

I’m 28 and I’ve spent my 20s not dating. Long story short I have no good role models for a strong woman in a strong relationship. I’m not exaggerating when I say every woman in my life growing up was taken advantage of by the men they chose. Still are. Because of this, I’m not ashamed to say I am damaged when it comes to relationships. I have massive trust issues. So, I didn’t date. I’d hook up with a guy and never think twice about never talking to him again. I had school, work, friends and a busy social life. I didn’t need, nor did I have time for, a relationship.

Then I moved and my world kind of fell apart. I made a few friendships but realized I wanted something more but had no idea how to find it. Eventually it worked out and I met a nice guy that also wasn’t looking for anything serious but just someone to have a connection with. A year on it is working well for us. A lot of people don’t get it, but I don’t care. Is this forever? No. It isn’t even serious. But it works.

Moral of the story? I wasted my 20s thinking that because I didn’t want or “need” a serious relationship, I couldn’t have any relationship. You have to find what makes you content, and that will be different for everyone. But you should never settle for someone that judges you for your tattoos. That is some closed minded BS and proves he doesn’t understand YOU and who you are.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.