mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

there are alot of top artists, mainly american,seem to feel that this style of work wont last as well as more traditional solid color pack work.
we have seen alot of color portrait, no line work that hasnt lasted, some of this was done by some of the worlds most highly regarded artists………..this work can be redone

your tattoo is never going to look this good again, as you know, it will lighten but should last a very long time, it will loose detail over time but I think you and I might be pushing up daisys before this piece would need rework, its going to lighten and change but it should still look pretty damn good

work a myke chambers or stuart cripwell most people believe is a style and technique that will last many decades without changing

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
Amok;116379 wrote:
in 30 years i’ll be 62 and wrinkled… who cares.

His tattoo won’t last 30 years. It wont last 10 years

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

this isnt the first time this no line detail work has come about,
its been tried before,
on the positive side todays inks and machines are better,

the dermis is funny place to lock in ink. as the needle penetrates the skin cells in the dermis layer called phagocytes engulf the color and form a membrane …..very strange, doesnt sound like a rock solid immovable canvas does it

it is all up to the wearer to me, I dont get these kinds of tattoos because I have seen detailed work not age well on collectors I know, some of the artists are considered the finest on the planet, I wouldnt embarrass them by pitting thier names here, but they have seen their work fall apart, but it is beautiful work

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose
Amok;116379 wrote:
This is why I’m in 2 mind about whether to get a detailed sleeve or just stick with traditional bold stuff. Ah well, in 30 years i’ll be 62 and wrinkled… who cares.

in 30 years I will be 70, if I make it that long lol

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

Thanks for the input guys.

I currently put light simple moisturiser on 2 – 3 times a day and will continue to do that. Hopefully that is correct lol?

I also put SPF 30 on but the stuff I bought is a really white cream that seems to make my skin white and makes a horrible mess really.

Is there any tattoo specific or better sun lotions I can use, don’t care about the cost. I looked at Tattoo armour by Tattoo Goo but that pen or small brush you put it on with looks painfully slow. I just want a nice lotion that goes nicely into the skin like my moisturiser.

Any suggestions on aftercare products?

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

my routine is pretty hardcore but I think much of my ink looks like it was done this year so here goes,

most light colored clothing offers little spf, you may have seen tests on TV recently,

In super bright 90 degree full sun georgia days I wear spf 50 UNDER my clothes,

I wear spf 100 on exposed skin (sleeves on legs and arms)

I wear it everytime

When I swim (I have a pool) I apply spf100 sport and then wear medium colored shirt, blue or green over it and spf 100 on exposed arms

I moisturize everyday with lubriderm, unscented, extra strength (I got his from a friend who wears 500 hours of total off the chart collector shit, it really helps, you see tattoo thru skin, gotta take care of skin)

I use dr bonners on tough skin like back to keep it super clear, I exfoliate tough skin like back regularly to keep skin nice

I find I can use spf100 for 4-5 hours in the Georgia summer sun and get no sun, good

I know Peter will take care of that hard earned work, its going to look great a long time!

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose
mrchen;116411 wrote:
my routine is pretty hardcore but I think much of my ink looks like it was done this year so here goes,

most light colored clothing offers little spf, you may have seen tests on TV recently,

In super bright 90 degree full sun georgia days I wear spf 50 UNDER my clothes,

I wear spf 100 on exposed skin (sleeves on legs and arms)

I wear it everytime

When I swim (I have a pool) I apply spf100 sport and then wear medium colored shirt, blue or green over it and spf 100 on exposed arms

I moisturize everyday with lubriderm, unscented, extra strength (I got his from a friend who wears 500 hours of total off the chart collector shit, it really helps, you see tattoo thru skin, gotta take care of skin)

I use dr bonners on tough skin like back to keep it super clear, I exfoliate tough skin like back regularly to keep skin nice

I find I can use spf100 for 4-5 hours in the Georgia summer sun and get no sun, good

I know Peter will take care of that hard earned work, its going to look great a long time!

Awesome Mrchen, many thanks!

So I should use a rich moisturiser then, instead of a light?

I have Dr bonners, I use it once a week on all.

I will buy 200 SPF lol I know its like 0.1% more effective but it all helps lol

Ex-foliating is something iv’e never done, isn’t that bad for the tattoo because you are constantly scraping a layer of skin from it?

How my mind has changed about tattoos! Before I was interested I looked at tattoos and thought, get a tattoo, its permanent, it last forever, it always looks the same, no need to treat lol how wrong I was. I’m beginning to feel like I know what its like being a woman lol

One good thing I guess is I live in London, we all look like ghosts. You can always spot an Englishman on holiday, we are the ones you cant look at cos we are so bright white lol

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

We’ve all heard the “only bold will hold” shit a million times, but no one really knows that for certain at this point. I think that if you take care of yourself – eat right, avoid excessive sun, exercise – your tattoos will hold up well regardless of style. In contrast, I think if you eat shit, remain sedentary, and often go tanning, even that bold traditional piece will look like crap sooner rather than later.

A word on the use of moisturizer and so forth … It’s definitely helpful to keep the tattoo looking its best, but the moisturizer will never reach the dermis and thus it’s use or lack thereof will have no impact on the life of your tattoo. The vitamins you consume through your daily diet, however, will have a significant impact on the health of your skin. In other words, if you spend the next 10 years NOT using moisturizer, no big deal, but if you spend the next 10 years NOT getting sufficient nutrients, your ink will suffer.

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

You make some good points, never thought about it like that.

So there are no moisturisers on the market that penetrate the derma?

What foods are good for the skin paticulary?

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka
Wardy;116316 wrote:
Get it, personally i love the thought of my tattoo’s looking really faded and shit when i am older. I see a lot of old guys with all there arm’s inked up and it look’s fucking awesome.

the reason why a lot of the older gen tattoos look awesome is because they are using bold and thick lines. intricate tattoos like this are still fairly new to the industry so its hard to say how it will look in 30-40 years.

just take care of your body and skin (the skin is the largest organ in your body) and you should have many years of enjoyment. try to keep the skin as supple and elastic as possible.

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

and in terms of spf, it really doesnt matter any spf above 30 because spf 50 provides only 1.3% more protection than spf 30. its more important to apply generously than it is to look for high spf.

i also read that manufactures are no longer going to be allowed to say anything about spf 50 anyways…

i just found the link http://www.rodale.com/research-feed/fda-sunscreen-labels

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
peterpoose;116420 wrote:
You make some good points, never thought about it like that.

So there are no moisturisers on the market that penetrate the derma?

What foods are good for the skin paticulary?

Nope, none of the moisturizers will reach the dermis. Again though, it’s not a bad idea to moisturize as necessary (personally I have no need on my arms, but my calves do dry out) to keep things looking their best, but it won’t hurt the longevity of your tattoo if you don’t.

“Antioxidants such as vitamins C, E, and A and beta-carotene can help reduce the damage caused by unstable molecules known as free radicals. These molecules can injure skin cells and cause signs of aging.” (WebMD)

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
peterpoose;116401 wrote:
I also put SPF 30 on but the stuff I bought is a really white cream that seems to make my skin white and makes a horrible mess really.

I have always been told to never to use sunscreen until the tattoo is fully healed. (I’m not sure why)

Squishy
Participant
@squishy
peterpoose;116412 wrote:
Ex-foliating is something iv’e never done, isn’t that bad for the tattoo because you are constantly scraping a layer of skin from it?l

In regards to the exfoliating:

It will not harm your tattoo, if anything it will keep the skin looking clearer and improve visibility of the tattoo. Remember tattoos are found in the dermis and exfoliation only affects the epidermis (top layer of skin). With regular exfoliation (once a week) you are getting rid of the rubbish and dead skin cells on the epidermis, allowing the ink to show up more clearly.

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose
Squishy;116605 wrote:
In regards to the exfoliating:

It will not harm your tattoo, if anything it will keep the skin looking clearer and improve visibility of the tattoo. Remember tattoos are found in the dermis and exfoliation only affects the epidermis (top layer of skin). With regular exfoliation (once a week) you are getting rid of the rubbish and dead skin cells on the epidermis, allowing the ink to show up more clearly.

Thanks, guess I will start exfoliating lol

Any suggestions on what to use 🙂 ?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.