Darkrage600
Participant
@darkrage600

Hey guys I’m wondering if anyone with a lot of tattoo experience can give me an estimate on the amount of hours to do a tattoo like this. But only chest to half sleeve… I’m considering something like this and going to a great place for 200$ an hour.. trying to figure out an estimate… thanks.. heres link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miamitattoo/5475252758/

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

Depends on how fast the artist works and whether they charge you by the hour, session, or piece. At least $2K imho.

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

sounds about right to me, but every artist works differently so you’re better off asking them not us 🙂

Darkrage600
Participant
@darkrage600

Yea I just don’t wanna get myself sucked into a 4000$ tat lol.. 2000 is ok I hope its not more then 2500.. Ill be going to a place in NYC Kings avenue.. eather grez or Brian paul.. I hear the rate is 200$ an hour… do you think itl take longer then 10 hrs? one of my friends said 20 hrs but i doubt it..

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

you never know but to be honest, if they’re doing excellent work then just get more as and when you can afford it rather than going to a cheaper/worse artist.

This is why there are so many guys around this forum with part done tattoos! 😀

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
Darkrage600;106378 wrote:
Yea I just don’t wanna get myself sucked into a 4000$ tat lol.. 2000 is ok I hope its not more then 2500.. Ill be going to a place in NYC Kings avenue.. eather grez or Brian paul.. I hear the rate is 200$ an hour… do you think itl take longer then 10 hrs? one of my friends said 20 hrs but i doubt it..

It could easily take more than 10 hours, but it depends on the artist. Ask the artist for a rough estimate on how many hours he thinks it will take and have enough to pay for another couple hours if necessary. That’s almost certainly going to be done in 2 sessions so you’ll have some time in between to save up.

btw, there are no shitty artists at Kings Ave, but if I was going to choose one for a B&G Japanese style piece, it wouldn’t be Brian. I’d personally go with Matt (ton of Japanese style in his portfolio) or even Justin (lot of B&G in there, though there isn’t much Japanese style stuff). Just my 2 cents.

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

a ROUGH estimate would be about 30-40hrs. there is NO WAY IN HELL that would take 10hrs.

Darkrage600
Participant
@darkrage600

Thanks man, yea im going to talk to them about it. Hopefully the next time i post it will be pics of the tattoo done 🙂

Darkrage600
Participant
@darkrage600
yodaddynukka;106382 wrote:
a ROUGH estimate would be about 30-40hrs. there is NO WAY IN HELL that would take 10hrs.

Really? Ugh thats not good, just half sleeve and chest

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

oh maybe i missed something. i thought you wanted a full sleeve and chest plate? even with half sleeve and chest plate you are still looking at around 20hrs. and that is just an average as every artist has their own pace.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

yodda’s right, 20 hours on half sleeve and chest piece,

NY isnt cheap either, $200 a hour is a good price in NY………but you could get the same wwork done in atlanta for 100-150 a hour…….many artists will budget this out for you, set a price, but not in NY

Darkrage600
Participant
@darkrage600

Dam alright thanks for the reply.. I guess ill go try to talk to them about the price and if they cant set a price or work with me ill have to go somewhere else..

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
Darkrage600;106403 wrote:
Dam alright thanks for the reply.. I guess ill go try to talk to them about the price and if they cant set a price or work with me ill have to go somewhere else..

Just remember that you get what you pay for. $200 is very reasonable for a quality artist in NYC.

Grizz Adams
Participant
@grizz-adams

I just finished my right sleeve. It was 40-45 hours of work. It is colour though, not black and grey.

maniacthw
Participant
@maniacthw

If $200/hr is a GOOD price in your city, I’d highly suggest looking into other cities. You could easily get a plane ticket, cab, and multi hour tattoo with an artist of the same quality in another city for less.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.