Dasch-attack
Participant
@dasch-attack

Hey guys, I just tried to set up some appts with some pretty popular artist and realized its pretty hard to get in with them.

So I was wondering what would it take to get in with Nick Baxter??? I sent him a request for an appointment and told him I wanted an out of this world scene and he could take it wherever he wants but obviously It will be pretty hard to get in with him. So does anyone have any tips on getting tatted by someone like that??

Also I emailed josh woods’s shop and got an email from them pretty fast. So hopefully I will be able to get tatted by him sometime!!!

Thanks in advance guys!

Adler
Participant
@adler

One suggestion is to NOT ask these top artists about being “tatted” because most artists hate made up words like that.

Dasch-attack
Participant
@dasch-attack

HAHA wow, I hope I didnt put that in the email!! what would be the correct term??” tattooed”??

Wardy
Participant
@wardy
Dasch-attack;106243 wrote:
what would be the correct term??” tattooed”??

Just speak English and not like a person who live’s in the ghetto and you should be fine.

Adler
Participant
@adler
Dasch-attack;106243 wrote:
HAHA wow, I hope I didnt put that in the email!! what would be the correct term??” tattooed”??

“Tattooed” is much better than “tatted.” It just sounds like you know more of what you’re talking about, I think top artists would prefer to work with clients who had a clue as opposed to people throwing around slang tattoo terms which will make them cringe.

More on topic, though…be patient and persistent through phone or email without being too much of a pain in the ass. Realize, also, that many top artists rarely have time for new clients and book mostly return clients and continuing existing pieces. For a single session tattoo, try booking at a convention. You can follow certain artists on that thing they call facebook, maybe you can get lucky with a posting of a cancellation or an opening at a convention. Also, research the artists and know they’re preferred styles. For example, don’t ask Josh Woods for a tribal or a black and grey portrait, make sure your design ideas are interesting and challenging to the specific artist and allow them to have some artistic freedom with your tattoo as most artists like that.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

I think Adler covered this well, but I wanted to add that someone like Nick Baxter is particularly hard to book b/c he has a lot of other stuff going on. For example, most of the time when he is doing conventions or appearing at another shop, he’s doing seminars rather than tattooing. While there are certainly a lot of guys that are tough to book, you probably started out with one of the toughest.

KillianMick
Participant
@killianmick

Now, Adler…it’s not a made up word! http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tatting

Who knows? Maybe this gentleman really does want Nick Baxter to do some lacework on him!

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

I have a friend who just got turned down by nate he is very busy,
josh woods no problem, no rockstar attitude, willing to take on all

there are other great artists who will hook you up, nates just not one right now

Dasch-attack
Participant
@dasch-attack

Ha, the only reason I started saying that is because I swear I heard Oliver Peck say it at least 10 times in the interview that I watched lol.

I am currently emailing Fred at Black 13 to try to get hooked up with Josh Woods!!! Definitely Pumped.

Although I am still going to be very persistent in trying to get with Nick Baxter, Another Question Is there any other artist that can create pieces like Nick??? I have seen some great portfolios on poundedink.com but nothing really comparable to his style.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
Dasch-attack;106260 wrote:
Although I am still going to be very persistent in trying to get with Nick Baxter, Another Question Is there any other artist that can create pieces like Nick??? I have seen some great portfolios on poundedink.com but nothing really comparable to his style.

He’s got his own style, but depending on what you want, we might be able to recommend some other killer artists to check out.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

The key is to have an idea that they will be pumped to do. Don’t ask about cost until way later in the conversation. And just don’t sound like a douche. That’s it good luck.

Dasch-attack
Participant
@dasch-attack
D3FiANC3;106261 wrote:
He’s got his own style, but depending on what you want, we might be able to recommend some other killer artists to check out.

I wanted a really colorful heaven-like/outerspace piece, any suggestions on who could do something like that would be great!! still hoping to get with Nick tho lol.

Thanks.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
Dasch-attack;106274 wrote:
I wanted a really colorful heaven-like/outerspace piece, any suggestions on who could do something like that would be great!! still hoping to get with Nick tho lol.

Thanks.

Well if his style is what really appeals to you, then there’s definitely no replacement for it. I’m having a hard time imagining an outer space piece in Nick Baxter’s style though.

Here’s one by James Kern:

naomi.jpg

Dasch-attack
Participant
@dasch-attack

Wow Defiance that piece looks amazing!! Thanks!! Ill definitely look him up.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

np. James is a great artist like his brother, though their styles are completely different. Let us know if you get him booked so we can be envious. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.