burton7
Participant
@burton7

Hey everyone, new to the forum! I’m having some trouble coming up with an idea so i was hoping someone might have an idea that spark some ideas of my own for this tattoo. A good friend of mine that iv known since i was little passed a way a few months ago to alcohol poisoning. I have her initials “C A J” across my chest. She loved poetry, especially edgar allen poe, and one of her favorite poems “A dream within a dream” was read at her funeral. I want to get something added to my chest tattoo that has to do with this poem, however im looking for an image of some sort, not wordsv and i would like to put the image on each side of my existing tattoo, like this (image) C A J (Image). I cant think of anything, does anyone have any ideas? here is the poem for those that dont know it. Thanks!

Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
Thus much let me avow-
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream;
Yet if hope has flown away
In a night, or in a day,
In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand-
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep- while I weep!
O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Im sorry for your loss.

Maybe something a long the lines of this picture would be good but obviously not this picture as it is a memorial. Im sure you could go of the idea of the picture though replace the man with a bit more something meaningful having a dream 🙂

Adler
Participant
@adler
burton7;105880 wrote:
Hey everyone, new to the forum! I’m having some trouble coming up with an idea so i was hoping someone might have an idea that spark some ideas of my own for this tattoo. A good friend of mine that iv known since i was little passed a way a few months ago to alcohol poisoning. I have her initials “C A J” across my chest. She loved poetry, especially edgar allen poe, and one of her favorite poems “A dream within a dream” was read at her funeral. I want to get something added to my chest tattoo that has to do with this poem, however im looking for an image of some sort, not wordsv and i would like to put the image on each side of my existing tattoo, like this (image) C A J (Image). I cant think of anything, does anyone have any ideas? here is the poem for those that dont know it. Thanks!

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand-
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep- while I weep!

I don’t know but it seems something could be designed from this.

burton7
Participant
@burton7

yeah i agree i really like the second stanza i just cant come up with any ideas haha

Adler
Participant
@adler

I’m not an artist and I’m not very creative, either, so I probably can’t help with specific ideas. But if you like that second stanza, find a good custom artist and the two of you could probably come up with something nice. You could also translate that verse literally and maybe just do a tattoo of figure from behind who’s standing on the edge of a beach looking out to the ocean and maybe a sunset or something and incorporate the sand.

KillianMick
Participant
@killianmick

I’m sorry for your loss. I’m on my second funeral inside of two weeks for teenagers and I know the grieving process is exhausting.

Based on the second stanza, I think I would do an old fashioned hourglass sitting on the beach with a hand above it and sand pouring from the hand into the hourglass.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.